Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've tried looking, but can't find anything about this problem. I have an '04 Ody and for the past 4-5 days have heard a very annoying rear wheel squeal that starts when the car is driving down the road. It only happens sometimes, it's not consistent. It stops when I push the brakes and come to a complete stop. Does anyone have any ideas about what is going on???? Thanks!

·
Registered
455 Posts
My uncle had an '05 Odyssey, and had a similar issue...which started out as a squeaking noise. As time went on, he described a very low-toned hum coming from the rear driver's side wheel. He had it checked by a shop and they said that there was no grease left on the rotor bearings and that they were seized up.

I'm not saying that's definitely your problem, but I'd have it checked out.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Do you have rear disk brakes? If so, that might be pad ware indicator telling you it is time to replace the pads. If the noise stops when you press on the brake pedal, then that is it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I honestly don't know if they're rear disc or not (I know, it's lame that I'm not sure) but it does stop when I push the brake in. If it's brake related why does it make the squealing noise when I'm just driving down the road? And thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Yes you do have rear discs, they became standard with the 02, I believe. It does sound like the wear indicator for the pads. I don't know where in Southern California you are but if you are near the Santa Clarita/San Fernando Valley areas my mechanic is great and reasonably priced, if you aren't inclinded to work on it yourself. Trust me he knows the 2nd gen Odyssey, he's done most of the work on mine. PM me if you need contact info.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
jcb said:
I honestly don't know if they're rear disc or not (I know, it's lame that I'm not sure) but it does stop when I push the brake in. If it's brake related why does it make the squealing noise when I'm just driving down the road? And thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate all the help.
They are designed to make that noise. When you brake, that clip does not have much room to vibrate against and the squeal stops. You have classic symptoms of worn brake pads.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Greg for the info about your mechanic. I'm actually out near Palm Springs. I'd actually like to attempt the replacement of the pads myself. I don't have much experience, but would like to gain more.
Thanks Sontakke for the info. I'll look into replacing the brake pads. Do you guys know of a good step by step link for someone without much experience? Thanks again to all.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Generally, front disks are easier to replace than the rear one. The rear has parking brake mechanism and that makes the rear job more involved than the front one.

If this is going to be the first time you are doing brake pad replacement, try to find a friend to oversee or help you. Get the factory service manual or at least Haynes manual before proceeding. Go on the youtube and look for EricTheCarGuy and/or RichPin, RickPin06a Study few rear brake jobs and then decide if you want to tackle this.

If you can find a trustworthy mechanic, this would be a good trial job. If he charges you about an hour of labor and fair price for the pads, you are golden.

- Vikas

·
Registered
355 Posts
Souldn't be any harder than the fronts since the 02-04 have a drum parking brake in addition to the rear disc for stopping. That said I haven't done the rears yet as they didn't need it when I did the fronts last time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again Vikas and Greg for your help. I'll look into it a little further and decide if I can tackle the rear pads or not. I just need to do the pads right?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
There are conflicting opinions. I personally would do pads only unless the rotors are really shot. Fortunately, on the rear, those should be in decent condition. Feel the rotors for deep grooves. If there are not any, there is no need to replace the rotors. It is highly unlikely that you would have worn them off, so there is no real need to measure the thickness.

Get the OEM pad kit and you should get at least 50% of the mileage of the original one. If not OEM, get a better quality aftermarket which follow OEM design. I believe they have integrated anti-sqeal shims in the back.

This is all assuming that you can verify the internet diagnosis of worn out pads! Take pictures and post it here if any doubts.

- Vikas

1 - 11 of 11 Posts