Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Odyssey EX. The motor for the rear window is broken. The window is cracked open about 1". It won't close (using the motor). How do I get it close? From the outside, I pushed on the window pretty-darn-hard... it won't close. From the inside, I tried to rotate the closure arm / hinge... it won't close? Suggestions? Fixes? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Until the site search starts working better, hopefully this can help:

Common problem.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
2003 Odyssey EX. The motor for the rear window is broken. The window is cracked open about 1". It won't close (using the motor). How do I get it close? From the outside, I pushed on the window pretty-darn-hard... it won't close. From the inside, I tried to rotate the closure arm / hinge... it won't close? Suggestions? Fixes? Thanks.
Let the Ody sit for quite awhile where it is cool and out of the sun and try it again, The motor might just work then,
Those motors have some temp sensitive overload POS installed which will prevent the motor from working when just the sun heats up that part of the vehicle. That part starts to deteriorate after time. Some replace that part with a small light bulb to provide the necessary resistance. Look it up.
You could also try having someone push the close button just AFTER you start 'lightly' pushing the window closed.
Otherwise you may have to look at directions (youtube,com etc) on how to access that motor so that you can physically remove (disconnect) that arm.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE FROM THE OP - PROBLEM SOLVED

I found a 1AAuto video on You Tube that shows removal of the rear window motor on an '03 Odyssey. Here's the link:

Based on the three images below, I disengaged the large gear from the small gear, rotated the large gear to the "window fully closed" position, reengaged the gears, and put the "gear cover" back on.

I reassembled the motor and mounting bracket, but left the "window connector" off. Leave the "window connector" off because it will be snapped on as the very last step.

Reinstall the motor/bracket assembly. Have someone push the window closed from the outside. Then, snap the "window connector" in place. Other than reinstalling the trim work, you're all done.

I left my window motor disconnected (unplugged). I don't use the window; this prevents it from accidentally opening and remaining open (unable to be close by the motor). Problem solved.

·
Registered
10 Posts
LOL I remember this job...they were bad when I bought the van...

Honestly? I threw the old ones away and bought new ones and installed em. No issues since and that was 60,000km ago

1 - 5 of 5 Posts