Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has any ideas why my wiper isn't working. Front wipers work and the rear sprayer works but when I turn on the rear wiper nothing happens. I do hear a faint click back by the wiper when I first turn it on but that's it. Does this sound like a dead motor or is there an easier fix?

·
Registered
25 Posts
MMilner said:
Wondering if anyone has any ideas why my wiper isn't working. Front wipers work and the rear sprayer works but when I turn on the rear wiper nothing happens. I do hear a faint click back by the wiper when I first turn it on but that's it. Does this sound like a dead motor or is there an easier fix?
Without thinking much, you should check its fuse and tight down the rear wiper bolt. GL!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike, thanks for the tip, it was excellent instructions w/pics but unfortunately not my problem. I tore off the trim to get to the motor but the shaft was not frozen. I double checked the fuze it's fine. I had my son turn the switch on while I was in back and I heard one "click" near the driver's side rear tire in the wall. Nothing happens and also I am not getting any power to the plug to the motor. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Sorry, but what year Ody? The 99-01 have different wiring than 02-4. It is possible there is a broken wire for it, where the harness enters the tailgate. If you have no power to the motor, cut open (length wise) the rubber boot at the top of the rear hatch and look for broken wire(s).

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
MMilner said:
It's a 2001, I will check for broken wires.
On yours, the rear motor has 4 wires into it: there is green, green/black and light green/black. Trace those back to the rubber boot covering the wires at the top of the hatch. I think there is an issue there. The click you here might be the rear window intermittant control unit. :confused:

If I can help any further, post away fellow 2nd gen'er. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well that looks like my problem! I pulled back the boot that attaches to the hatch and found one wire broken and another one cut. I'm done working on it tonight but back at on Thurs. Thanks for the help. I signed up for this forum a couple of years ago but didn't utilize. There is wealth of info/tips/tricks/ideas for problem solving that I am certainly going to take advantage of from now on. BTW fixed my clock light in 20 min. that has been out for 2 years!

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
MMilner said:
Well that looks like my problem! I pulled back the boot that attaches to the hatch and found one wire broken and another one cut. I'm done working on it tonight but back at on Thurs. Thanks for the help. I signed up for this forum a couple of years ago but didn't utilize. There is wealth of info/tips/tricks/ideas for problem solving that I am certainly going to take advantage of from now on. BTW fixed my clock light in 20 min. that has been out for 2 years!
No idea where Kenmore is, but we are in Wa. State 3-4 times a year. Buy me a couple of your local beers and we'll call it all square. :D
Want any tips on repairing it or are you good from here.

I must be getting old, I am too tired to be prickish anymore. :argue:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're on! Kenmore is 15 miles N. of downtown Seattle, near the north end of Lake Washington. If you have some suggestions on repairing the wires I'm all ears.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds good, thanks. You mentioned, "cut open (length wise) the rubber boot at the top of the rear hatch and look for broken wire(s)." I am reluctant to cut the boot but wondering if that is what I am going to have to do to get good access to the wires. How do I seal the boot back up so it looks good?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I fixed a bud's MDX with this exact issue. I had to cut his boot to get enough wire out to repair. After fixing the broken wires, I used black electrical tape wrapped "lightly" around the cut boot and was able to push it back into the hatch opening. You can always slather the black liquid tape around any exposed areas I suppose.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That was my plan to push the boot one way as far as it would go and try to make my repair. If that doesn't work, I'll cut it. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Sounds like you're well on your way to fixing it. I've had the same issues with other cars, you do the best you can. Solder and shrinkwrap like mentioned. I wouldn't get too crazy with fixing up the boot, you may end up back in there for something else. A few small zip ties to keep it closed and call it a day. Cutting it in a spiral will help it stay closed on it's own but makes working on it tougher.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
MMilner said:
That was my plan to push the boot one way as far as it would go and try to make my repair. If that doesn't work, I'll cut it. Thanks again for the help.
Excellant. Remember, two pints, not glasses. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts