Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Our ‘99 Ody is having issues with the rear windshield washer. About 2 weeks ago it started taking a good 20 seconds of holding the washer fluid switch to just get a little trickle of fluid to come out, which is not nearly as much as what it used to do and definitely not enough to clean the rear windshield. The front ones mainly work fine, although the left front jet is a bit weak on the pressure. Not a huge issue, but a minor annoyance. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
There are a few reasons why this could be. First and easiest thing to check is to see if the sprayer nozzle is plugged. You could try shoving a thumb tack into it. Second reason is a weak rear washer pump. You could have someone engage the rear and front washers and listen for a sound difference between the two to try to hep diagnose it. Third the line going to the back could have a clog, kink, or maybe even a small hole in it somewhere.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are a few reasons why this could be. First and easiest thing to check is to see if the sprayer nozzle is plugged. You could try shoving a thumb tack into it. Second reason is a weak rear washer pump. You could have someone engage the rear and front washers and listen for a sound difference between the two to try to hep diagnose it. Third the line going to the back could have a clog, kink, or maybe even a small hole in it somewhere.
Okay, so I have done some of the things you recommended.

The thumbtack trick didn’t help anything. Issue still persisted. Then, I engaged both pumps at the same time. The rear pump had a bit of a lower pitch than the front pump. Would that mean a weak rear pump? Also, I placed a paper towel under the washer fluid reservoir area and when I engaged the rear pump for a while, some wet spots appeared on the paper towel. Would this point to something to do with the rear pump leaking? I think that could explain the long wait for fluid in the rear as a leak would bleed out all the fluid in the line and the pump takes a while to refill the line. Let me know if my guess is wrong. Thanks.

·
Registered
641 Posts
OP. I own a 2001. Same as your 99. This issue was addressed many, many, years ago. Your rear hose/nozzle is plugged. Do not stick a thumb tack in nozzle. (in any of your nozzle's!, will make opening to big)

Will, have to use "memory", so procedure may not be exact. But very easy to do..

1. Take apart nozzle assembly.

2. Pull apart the plastic parts. I remember there is a blue/red, forget color, plastic ONE WAY VALVE.

3. You can tell it one way, by blowing air in. (small plastic tube, you cannot tell it's one way, unless someone warns you.

4. Blow air, (from your mouth), thru tubes, etc....

5. As, previous poster, years ago said, "snot/slime" like material will come out. Was surprised, he was correct.
this is the clog:mad:

6. Be sure, when putting the parts back together, THE ONE WAY VALVE IS IN THE SAME DIRECTION, AS WHEN YOU REMOVE IT.(y)

Good luck.

For your front wipers/nozzle, where the Hood opens and closes. The tubing may be on the verge of cracking. Causing weak spray.
Just repaired mine, but that is another story.

Again, I forget the details, was so long ago......but I do remember, just blow out the parts, (use your mouth), and
look for the one way valve....Good luck.... :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Okay, so I have done some of the things you recommended.

The thumbtack trick didn’t help anything. Issue still persisted. Then, I engaged both pumps at the same time. The rear pump had a bit of a lower pitch than the front pump. Would that mean a weak rear pump? Also, I placed a paper towel under the washer fluid reservoir area and when I engaged the rear pump for a while, some wet spots appeared on the paper towel. Would this point to something to do with the rear pump leaking? I think that could explain the long wait for fluid in the rear as a leak would bleed out all the fluid in the line and the pump takes a while to refill the line. Let me know if my guess is wrong. Thanks.
if you are getting washer fluid on the paper towel under the fluid reservoir area then look for source of leak there first...check reservoir and lines for cracks or whatever in that area as that can cause a loss of pressure/flow rather than a problem with the pump...search for more info on the site or videos on youtube

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OP. I own a 2001. Same as your 99. This issue was addressed many, many, years ago. Your rear hose/nozzle is plugged. Do not stick a thumb tack in nozzle. (in any of your nozzle's!, will make opening to big)

Will, have to use "memory", so procedure may not be exact. But very easy to do..

1. Take apart nozzle assembly.

2. Pull apart the plastic parts. I remember there is a blue/red, forget color, plastic ONE WAY VALVE.

3. You can tell it one way, by blowing air in. (small plastic tube, you cannot tell it's one way, unless someone warns you.

4. Blow air, (from your mouth), thru tubes, etc....

5. As, previous poster, years ago said, "snot/slime" like material will come out. Was surprised, he was correct.
this is the clog:mad:

6. Be sure, when putting the parts back together, THE ONE WAY VALVE IS IN THE SAME DIRECTION, AS WHEN YOU REMOVE IT.(y)

Good luck.

For your front wipers/nozzle, where the Hood opens and closes. The tubing may be on the verge of cracking. Causing weak spray.
Just repaired mine, but that is another story.

Again, I forget the details, was so long ago......but I do remember, just blow out the parts, (use your mouth), and
look for the one way valve....Good luck.... :)
Thank you very much. I took the valve apart, and lo and behold... the one way valve was clogged. Not with slime but what seemed like shop towel fibres I think. Never had anything besides washer fluid go in the tank. Interesting. Anyways, I unblocked it and now it works better than it did before. Do the front washer jets also have those valves prone to clogging, and would that explain the 1 weak front jet? Thanks again.

·
Registered
641 Posts
OP. Your welcome. Glad it worked out. Pretty easy fix. right. :)

OK. On to the front washers. Again, I own a 2001. Your van is the same as mine. You say you have 1 weak washer, so it may just be plugged. (I'm still using original nozzles)

Here is the issue. If you exam your washer hoses, they look like plastic. Actually, they are made of I think vinyl. Not
rubber. So over time, they become hard/brittle like plastic. (which is actually good).

To remove the nozzle, to blow it clean. The "hose", will not slide off. To hard.

In my case. This is what happened. The washer hose "broke", between the fuse box and the bottom of the hood.
This is a common problem. Check out you tube videos. There are many ways of fixing this.

When I fixed my broken hose, the nozzles, sprayed better than new! Could not believe it.

So, up to you, how you want to approach your issue. (in my case hose was broken), but by fixing hose, it made nozzles better. Or you may want to change your nozzles. In any, case then you would change your hose.

Anyways, here is my fix, that is better than I saw on you tube.

1. Nozzle, passenger side. Use a dremel tool, low speed. Used 1 or 2. Carefully cut the hose. Do not cut
the plastic nozzle. Tiny cuts. Then you can slide off the "hard hose".

2. Purchased standard windshield washer hose. 5/32. This is rubber. So it will slide on to the nozzle. Easy.

3. Where the original hose broke. Near the fuse box, I WAS ABLE TO SLIDE THE RUBBER HOSE OVER
THE NOW ROCK HARD /PLASTIC HOSE. Used vise grip on the hard hose, (not to tight), and then slid
the rubber hose over it. About 1 inch. Very tight. Should not leak. But for insurance, I put shrink tubing
over the connection. (you do not need, metal hose clamps). (also, used a little wd40, to help slid the rubber hose
over the hard/dried out hose).

4. Used about 2 feet of washer hose. And tie straps, (tied to the hood). Be careful. To much hose, and it will
hit the engine.

5. Check out how honda did original hose configuration. And copy.

6. When you open and close the hood. The OEM, now hard hose, breaks. I think over time, where it was bending
the internal opening, was getting "crimped". Reducing the volume of windshield fluid.

7. By replacing the "hose", the volume is great.

8. Also, much easier attaching "rubber" hose to the OEM hose/ hard plastic. Than trying replace entire hose back to pump.

9. Again, google, you tube. Odyssey van. broken windshield washer hose. I think there are 2 videos. You can
see where the hose breaks. Then use my method of attachment.

Hope this makes sense. Again, pretty easy fix. Once some one has done it before.

Good luck..:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts