Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
past due to buy new tires for my 1999 Odyssey EX due to sidewall cracks not tread wear on the current Michelin Defenders...so longevity and not mileage is more important...so does the mfg date factor into this and what is a reasonable mfg date to expect?
cost is a huge factor at this point (probably need rear brakes also) so rebates and such may dictate brand or I would just get another set of Michelin but Goodyear currently has big rebates

original specs call for size 215/65/16 but I have always had 225/60/16 and no longer remember why or if it matters so feel free to offers opinions on this also

driving in the south...just rain...no towing and probably no long road trips
Thanks

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Two factors to consider about the date of tire manufacture:
  1. It should be recent, preferably at most 6 months old.
  2. All 4 tires should have the same date of manufacture so that the set ages equally.
Your present 225/60/16 is just a bit smaller in circumference than the stock 215/65/16 (758 revs per mile versus 747). It would have a negligible effect on your speedometer and odometer. (IIRC, the speedometer of that year read 10% high even with the stock tires.) However, they would handle better than stock due to the increased width. Incidentally, that size became stock in 2002.

Dave

·
Registered
699 Posts
Costco, has sales of Michelin defenders, every so often. Cannot beat their prices. Also, their tires are fresh, due to high volume of customers. (latest purchase, tires only 1 month old).

Went back to Costco, after local "tire store" (who I had been using for 25+ years), sold me brand new "old" tires.

Never had this issue before. Tires looked "old", so was very surprised to see mfg. date.
Also, the tires all had different mfg dates.

Per mfg date, tires were already 2+ years old. Asked for discount, etc, Mgmt said no.
(current thinking, 6 years is the life of a tire, check it out on internet).

Long story short. Disputed purchase on my Credit Card. Got full refund and kept the tires.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Two factors to consider about the date of tire manufacture:
  1. It should be recent, preferably at most 6 months old.
  2. All 4 tires should have the same date of manufacture so that the set ages equally.
Your present 225/60/16 is just a bit smaller in circumference than the stock 215/65/16 (758 revs per mile versus 747). It would have a negligible effect on your speedometer and odometer. (IIRC, the speedometer of that year read 10% high even with the stock tires.) However, they would handle better than stock due to the increased width. Incidentally, that size became stock in 2002.

Dave
Thanks..glad for the info

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Costco, has sales of Michelin defenders, every so often. Cannot beat their prices. Also, their tires are fresh, due to high volume of customers. (latest purchase, tires only 1 month old).

Went back to Costco, after local "tire store" (who I had been using for 25+ years), sold me brand new "old" tires.

Never had this issue before. Tires looked "old", so was very surprised to see mfg. date.
Also, the tires all had different mfg dates.

Per mfg date, tires were already 2+ years old. Asked for discount, etc, Mgmt said no.
(current thinking, 6 years is the life of a tire, check it out on internet).

Long story short. Disputed purchase on my Credit Card. Got full refund and kept the tires.
yeah the last set of tires I got from local tire chain (I've been using for close to 30 years) were already a year old when they were installed at a discounted price...not an issue back then when I thought I'd wear out the tread first...now 7 years old and time to replace...have been researching so much I may have short-circuited my brain...Costco tire service here has many complaints but still a possibilty if the price is right...thanks for your info

1 - 5 of 5 Posts