Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched the forum quite a bit but haven't found this specific topic.

My 2004 with 120K miles has thrown a P0740 code. Dealer says I need to replace the tranny for $4500. I called a local transmission shop and he recommends a rebuild for $2000 or so. They both offer a 3yr/36k warranty, which would last us about 18 months

What's the conventional wisdom on this? Go with the dealer and $4500 or the rebuild for $2000? I figure that even if the rebuild craps out in a couple of years, I'd still be able to rebuild it twice for less than the dealer wants.

Any advice?

·
Registered
755 Posts
You should've searched... I would go for either Jasper or gator.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Will the dealer put in a NEW tranny for $4500 or is it a rebuilt also?
Personally I would go with the $2000 price IF it's a reputable shop or if not then the Gator/Jasper which are between those two prices.
I guess it also depends on how long your keeping the car and how much you want to put in a car that has high mileage already (and maybe other problems?).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will the dealer put in a NEW tranny for $4500 or is it a rebuilt also?
The dealer said their replacement is all new guts in a remanufactured case.

I'm leaning toward the transmission shop.

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
The dealer said their replacement is all new guts in a remanufactured case.

I'm leaning toward the transmission shop.
I would go with the shop too. But first, ask them if they replace all the parts or only those that look worn. Also, ask them how many Ody transmissions they have done to satisfy yourself that they are familiar with the Ody's weak points. All rebuilt transmissions are not equal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am in this same boat, the first replacement was at 35K miles. Now 125K miles later I must have another. First I must say that the idea of buying another reman from Honda seems like a sure fire way to through away good money. Therefore I have decided to go with a rebuild. I have also read all these comments about which atf to use and most say only usr Honda brand. Well as far as I can see with two failures already, does it really matter? I will say this in closing, the fact that Honda built these vans and has not offered a real solution or help to us is aweful. I have sympathy for all you guys. This will indeed be my last Honda.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am in this same boat, the first replacement was at 35K miles. Now 125K miles later I must have another. First I must say that the idea of buying another reman from Honda seems like a sure fire way to through away good money. Therefore I have decided to go with a rebuild. I have also read all these comments about which atf to use and most say only usr Honda brand. Well as far as I can see with two failures already, does it really matter? I will say this in closing, the fact that Honda built these vans and has not offered a real solution or help to us is aweful. I have sympathy for all you guys. This will indeed be my last Honda.
Don't let this be the determining factor for buying another Honda. I bought this one b/c I have had such great past experiences owning many other Honda vehicles.

OP if you shop around to other dealerships you may find one that will get you a price break like I did. I was able to find a dealership 2.5 hours away that sold me a rebuilt trans and all 3 motor mounts for less than the dealership that told me their price. It did cost me a day of work and a tank of gas using my other car, but well worth every penny! I even let the first dealership know I was price shopping and they wouldn't match but oh well, I don't go to them for service any more....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts