Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Now I've heard, :D Thanks for the post. No wonder I keep seeing the brake fluid resevoir low (more often than other cars).

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I wonder if it's a fluid leak or an air leak? We changed out pads/rotors and had lines bled and the brakes felt great for awhile, but lately have just felt like they're not as strong. Almost like the lines need bled.

·
Registered
513 Posts
skinny2 said:
I wonder if it's a fluid leak or an air leak? We changed out pads/rotors and had lines bled and the brakes felt great for awhile, but lately have just felt like they're not as strong. Almost like the lines need bled.
Would make sense that air can come in if fluid can go out.

Good catch, 1970CPA. Curious to know who will be affected.

Nicolas

·
Registered
219 Posts
What a bunch of BS...read the snippet from the press release below:

American Honda is planning to notify NHTSA today of our intent to conduct a safety recall on certain 2005 - 2007 model year Acura RL and 2005 -early-2007 model year Honda Odyssey vehicles to repair the brake master cylinder. Honda recently became aware of the potential for one seal in the brake master cylinder to fail due to use of brake fluid other than Honda Genuine brake fluid, followed by a mechanical brake bleed procedure.

The whole bit about "...other than Honda Genuine brake fluid..." totally kills me. So Honda is using a rubber seal in the master cylinder that is incompatible with all other known brake fluids? I hope the repair involves a new master cylinder with improved seals that won't fail when used with standard brake fluid! LOL

·
Registered
516 Posts
maybe a supplier problem?
Toyota stated the same thing
"Toyota said the problem stems from the use of non-Toyota brake fluid. Toyota-brand brake fluid contains lubricating polymers that prevent the problem, the company said."

·
Registered
524 Posts
Good find.

Honda recently became aware of the potential for one seal in the brake master cylinder to fail due to use of brake fluid other than Honda Genuine brake fluid, followed by a mechanical brake bleed procedure.
Question: Where can you buy Honda Genuine Anything?
Answer: Only Honda Dealer or Online dealer.
Question: Do online dealers ship fluid?
Answer: Almost all do not.
Question: Where can you find Honda Genuine Anything on a Sunday or after 5PM?
Answer: Nowhere.

Suddenly unexpectedly find your brakes worn out on Saturday night? Problem. Cannot flush the brakes as part of the brake job. No Genuine Honda Anything available.

Maybe next thing Honda will require is Genuine Honda Air or the warranty will be no good.

Any facts to back this up? Or is this just an excuse? Honda's name is on the vehicle. Honda is responsible. Honda is supposed to supervise suppliers. Honda gets credit when a supplier's part is unusually good. Honda gets the blame when things fail. Its a Honda vehicle.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Re: Good find.

baseball said:

Any facts to back this up? Or is this just an excuse? Honda's name is on the vehicle. Honda is responsible. Honda is supposed to supervise suppliers. Honda gets credit when a supplier's part is unusually good. Honda gets the blame when things fail. Its a Honda vehicle.
Well I'm just inferring since Toyota is also recalling vehicles because of the exact same problem...and has also stated that it can be cause by using non-genuine toyota brake fluids..

·
Registered
524 Posts
Toyota allegedly has revised the master cylinder design. Waiting for Honda's comment.

Toyota was quoted as saying:
"In Japan, the specification says you can't have any leaks," said Toyota spokesman Brian Lyons. "In the U.S., we didn't want there to be any confusion." He said Toyota has since revised the master-cylinder design so that it holds up to different types of brake fluid. http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2010-10-22-toyota22_ST_N.htm

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
eneka1 said:
baseball said:
Any facts to back this up? Or is this just an excuse?
The word "maybe" followed by a question mark implies the OP is throwing this out as a possible theory with no intimate knowledge as to the accuracy of said theory.

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
psu ody fan said:
The word "maybe" followed by a question mark implies the OP is throwing this out as a possible theory with no intimate knowledge as to the accuracy of said theory.
LOL.

·
Registered
513 Posts
And let's not get all hot under the collar and go all Honda-bashing: they are treating this as a PROBLEM and they are going to FIX IT.

It would be a different story if they had come out with a press release saying people who used 3rd party brake fluid were on their own...

Nicolas

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hold the phone here people....did you miss Toyota's recall about the SAME thing? This isnt a Honda or OEM thing. Its a supplier and seal manufucture issue.

It related to some brake fluid not having the same level of polymers, which curled up seals in the master cylinder during a 2-3 year period.

No reports of failure have been reported.

·
Registered
445 Posts
When we purchased our 05 Odyssey (used in 07) I thought the brake pedal felt a bit mushy. After driving it for a few months I went to the dealer and mentioned it to them. They recommended a brake fluid flush and replace - which I did. It didn't really help, but I figured it wouldn't hurt. I did another flush in the winter of 09 and still the same mushy feeling.

I find it interesting that there is a "leak" in the master cylinder because I've always found the fluid level to be the same. I wonder if they are saying "possible leak" as a simple explanation of a more complicated issue with the master cylinder? Oh well, I'll just sit and wait to see when they bring out the recall in Canada.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Re: Good find.

Maybe next thing Honda will require is Genuine Honda Air or the warranty will be no good.
I run only Genuine Honda Air in my Ody. Sure the roof tanks are unwieldy and likely to explode in an impact, but it's all about peace of mind that I get from using Genuine parts.

·
Registered
219 Posts
HondaUpNorth said:
When we purchased our 05 Odyssey (used in 07) I thought the brake pedal felt a bit mushy. After driving it for a few months I went to the dealer and mentioned it to them. They recommended a brake fluid flush and replace - which I did. It didn't really help, but I figured it wouldn't hurt. I did another flush in the winter of 09 and still the same mushy feeling.

I find it interesting that there is a "leak" in the master cylinder because I've always found the fluid level to be the same. I wonder if they are saying "possible leak" as a simple explanation of a more complicated issue with the master cylinder? Oh well, I'll just sit and wait to see when they bring out the recall in Canada.

There's a plunger in the Master Cyllinder that moves the fluid out of the cyllinder and into the lines. If that plunger doesn't seal well, fluid will slip past when the brake pedal is pressed. So the leak is internal...not external.

Maybe some people out there are using rot-gut brake fluid or something? I'm finding it hard to believe that the quality brake fluids out there don't have these lubricants in them. Just like Honda and Toyota don't make their own master cyllinders, they sure don't make their own brake fluid...it's made to spec by a supllier and that same supplier no doubt makes fluid that you can buy on the shelf.

I'm more inclined to believe that the supplier messed up on the specs for the actual seals and ended up with a rubber compound that shrunk or got hard with prolonged exposure to brake fluid. I know that standard rubber hose (like vacuum line) will get hard over time if you leave brake fluid residue in there.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
1+,

Any DOT4 fluid out there (Valvoline, Castrol etc.) is 100% compatible with Honda brake fluid. There is nothing magic about Honda brake fluid.

And yes, if the fault is in the Master Cylinder, the leak is INTERNAL, not EXTERNAL.

Something is wrong with Honda P.R. department LOL!

·
Registered
369 Posts
cnn said:
1+,

Any DOT4 fluid out there (Valvoline, Castrol etc.) is 100% compatible with Honda brake fluid. There is nothing magic about Honda brake fluid.

And yes, if the fault is in the Master Cylinder, the leak is INTERNAL, not EXTERNAL.

They are rubbing in the point that had the Honda fluid been used, this problem doesnt occur. There ARE differences among brake fluid brands, its just nothing of which we typically know about or realize. Just like motor oils...there are subtle differences!

Not even Honda and Toyota realized it until late, and they are proactively fixing the issue before a real problem does occur.

Again...this isnt just a Honda problem. Read up people...and relax.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2010-10-22-toyota22_ST_N.htm?csp=34money

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
cnn said:
Maybe the guy that designed the "lightening bolt" was demoted to PR?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Not sure this is news, but it was to me: Detroit News confirms that the same parts maker is responsible for the recall at both Toyota and Honda, and that maker is Advics from Japan:

http://detnews.com/article/20101022/AUTO01/10220419/1148/rss25

Also, it seems that the fluid would leak from the master cylinder to the booster unit.

Nicolas

1 - 20 of 97 Posts