Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I sent in my 2004 Odyssey to Greenwich Honda to fix this recall (15V-045, ODYSSEY SRS UNIT MALFUNCTION). This recall was basically about the bad SRS unit that may deploy the airbag erroneously when it is subject to high level of electrical noise. So, they replaced the SRS unit. When they finished, the service rep told me the new SRS unit now detected an issue with an "airbag seat sensor" that was not detected by the previous bad SRS unit. She said that I need to replace this part# 81161-S0X-A11 at $478 + tax (part and labor). I think she must have felt triumphant to see that the new SRS unit was already kicking butt, something that my old bad SRS unit failed to do. In any case, they did not have the part in stock, and I did not intend to have them do it either. If the part indeed has to be replaced, I will do it myself.

After this dealership trip, my Odyssey now had a new SRS unit, together with a turned-on SRS light and a flashing Side Air Bag light on the dashboard.

After I returned home and thought about the whole sequence of events, it just did not make a lot of sense to me. The old SRS unit under the recall was not exactly a faulty unit. The recall was about a sensitive SRS unit where electrical noise may trigger an airbag deployment. The old SRS unit had been working fine and did not cause any problem to me. It was unlikely that the old unit did not detect this new problem that the new SRS unit reported.

I also noticed the technician scribbled a code on the receipt: 85-79, which is the SRS DTC. I looked it up and confirmed that it is related to the OPDS unit, which is exactly the part that they wanted me to replace (81161-S0X-A11). I then tried resetting the SRS DTC and initializing the OPDS unit, but the SRS light stayed on. Eventually, I thought the OPDS unit may really be bad and needed replacement. I then tried accessing the OPDS unit to make sure I can access and change it myself before I ordered the part to do so. I eventually got to it at the back of the passenger seat, disconnected and connected all the wires to the unit.

Next come the lightening moment. When I turned on the car, the SRS light disappeared. The simple disconnection and connection again of all the wires to the OPDS unit fixed the problem.

With hindsight now, I concluded that the technician did not disconnect the battery when he replaced the SRS unit (partly concluded from the fact that the radio did not ask for the security code and retained all the radio stations after the service). Somehow, the new SRS unit captured an erroneous DTC during the replacement process at the dealership. I think I could have fixed the problem simply by disconnecting and connecting the battery also without getting to the actual OPDS unit. In any case, I am glad that I didn't spend anything to fix it.

I don't think Greenwich Honda is unscrupulous in this case, but the technician is indeed incompetent. The whole setup at the service department of a dealership is simply that they are lazy to analyze an issue and follow instructions. They go by the book (in fact, incompletely) and get you to pay for any issues (real issues and unjustified issues caused by their incompetence) they encounter along the way. I actually called the service rep and even talked to the service manager after I came home. I inquired if the technician indeed reset the "whole thing" properly or not. And of course, they spoke very confidently about their work. I found it pointless to discuss any technical details with them since they did not work on the car.

The bottom line is, folks, get to know some technical details of your car. I am sure most of you in this forum are. Some common sense will save your a lot of money.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yes, sometimes a simple 'reboot' is all it takes to make things right. Hopefully this solved your issues. Please report back if it did not. Thank you for providing your findings.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts