1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
251 Posts
That's actually fairly old news, just that the recall hadn't happened until now.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Steve Pert:
Don't think Honda has recalled 1 million vans! </font>
That's because Honda have not MADE 1 million vans.

------------------
Check out our 01 GG EX and 98 Corolla LE, other 02 Odys, and various model cars at http://community.webshots.com/user/ddakrt

[This message has been edited by DDakRT (edited 01-15-2002).]

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DDakRT:
That's because Honda have not MADE 1 million vans. </font>
Of course! But it would be interesting to see the percentage of vehicles recalled from various manufacturers (Honda, Chrysler, Ford, GM, etc.). One million has got to be a pretty high percentage, I would guess.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I believe Chrysler has sold about 12 million vans to date.

Anyway I did some calculations (although it's very simple) that the chance of a 96-2000 Chrysler an catching fire in a crash is app. 0.00003%.

------------------
Check out our 01 GG EX and 98 Corolla LE, other 02 Odys, and various model cars at http://community.webshots.com/user/ddakrt

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I had a '91 Plymouth Grand Voyager with the 3.3L engine. The fuel rail leaked on it, but I had to pay to get it fixed. The fact that the recall stops at '96 is bogus. They should be recalling ALL Chryslers (not just the minivans) with the 3.3L and 3.8L engines, all the way back to '89. They all use the same fuel rail, and if the 96-00 models merit a recall, so do all the rest. Just because DC changed the body style doesn't mean they changed the engine. They didn't! Shame on Chrysler, and shame on the NHTSA for not knowing enough about the subject to issue a recall on ALL affected products. Maybe the risk of fire is small, but it is much greater than other makes. And it doesn't take a crash to make them leak. If you disturb the fuel rail even slightly, it will spring a leak. Mine did after changing spark plugs. Check out this link:

http://www.detnews.com/2001/autosconsumer/0112/16/a01-368263.htm

Mine leaked in the same place as the illustration half-way through the article shows. I honestly think this is a bigger risk than it appears on the surface. There are a bunch of these older vans out there.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
In the ClickonDetroit article, Chrysler states that their investigation reveals that there is "no real risk." Whew, I feel much better now, knowing that all that gasoline sprayed in my engine bay did not really pose a risk. Really glad Chrysler cleared that up for me. How stoopid do they think their customers are, anyway?

·
Registered
197 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by accordian:
In the ClickonDetroit article, Chrysler states that their investigation reveals that there is "no real risk." Whew, I feel much better now, knowing that all that gasoline sprayed in my engine bay did not really pose a risk. Really glad Chrysler cleared that up for me. How stoopid do they think their customers are, anyway?</font>
Without an insider leaking details of that attitude of careless indiference for the customer, I think we'll all come to roughly the same conclusion.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Okay, so I went off a bit last night. Sometimes I get a bit carried away. However, it is my opinion that all Chrysler vehicles that use these engines, no matter what year they were built, should be recalled. My personal experience tells me they are equally at risk of leaking as the recalled units. I am troubled by the fact that Chrylser has only recalled those that the NHTSA has raised issue with, based strictly on the years that body style was built. A redesigned body does not necessarily equal a redesigned drivetrain or fuel system. IMHO, of course!

·
Registered
861 Posts
LOL! I don't think Honda has recalled that many cars in there entire history!
actuall, i'm pretty sure of it
last recall I heard was on 2, yes 2!, Odyssey's that MIGHT have had a few welds missed on the chassis....2 welds up near the front, and the recall was considered 'complete'

oh, and then there was that Civic floor matt issue
gosh, I feel so left out....fires, falling suspension parts....why can't Honda have some cool recalls like that??? LOL!

------------------
Owner:
1991 Honda Civic SiR: B16A DOHC VTEC powered visit at: http://turbocivic.8m.com
2000 Honda Odyssey LX: Wings West body kit, H&R springs, visit at: http://trickedodyssey.8m.com
1991 Honda Civic Basemodel: Bolt on mods, winter car, visit at: http://trickedodyssey.8m.com/91civicbase.html

Any questions related to honda and your ODY? just email me! [email protected]

Need speed? Need a Tricked Odyssey? www.pri-racing.comhttp://www.pri-racing.com[/b]

·
Registered
747 Posts
Honda had the little issue with the seatbelt buckels somewhere around '94-'96 that affected quite a few vehicles. It would have had to been at least 1 million vehicles as it was broad and exteded back pretty far. Now if we are only talking Odyssey's, that is a different story.

·
Registered
585 Posts
"Let he who is without sin..."

Now I agree that Chrysler has made its share of dumb mistake, but as I was talking to an AA rep back in 1990 about an ad campaign we were running (school project), I was going to play off the fact AA (to that point) had never had a major airplane disaster and he vehemently told me they did NOT want to play that up even though he felt it was because of the way their company maintained its fleet.

In short, engineers are human and while Chrysler (either through short-sided corporate 'cutting-corners' policy or hiring less-than-stellar grads) has resulted in many problems, I would never force Honda into that corner; all it takes is one Pinto to forever tarnish their image.

But I do agree that its the processes these respective companies go through to get a vehicle out on the road as the determining factor and the stringent standards that Honda (and Toyota) put their people and products through results in a much lower chance of failure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did any of you read the story of the lady who burned to death in her 3 day old Town and Country. It is very sad

The thing that pisses me off is the fact that they recalled 722,000 sedans (probably the ones using the 3.3 V6)in Aug 1998 to replace the O-rings. Shouldnt they have recalled the minivans at the same time?

Even though the chance of fire is rare it is still a safety concern that should be taken seriously. This situation personally concerns me as my mother drives a 1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE with the 3.3 V6.

DaimlerChrysler has a very negligent attitude about this whole situation.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
188 Posts
Oh gawd, that's a very horrible way to go. I could only imagine what is was like for the would-be rescuer. Just pray that the victim's family will see justice being served.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Yes, DaimlerChrysler does have a negligent attitude. What else are we to deduce? They knew the fuel rails had a design problem when they recalled the other models that use the 3.3L engine. Now they absolutely must know that their cars and vans out there that are older than '96 have the same problem. They ALL use the SAME fuel rail design. Mine leaked right where the article said. It's stuff like this that keeps me from buying another Chrysler product.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts