Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we're looking to get a rear bike rack, and the best ones appears to utilize a hitch - i.e. Thule.
fun side fact - the search on Thule's site is such crap that "odyssey" and "honda odyssey" return zero results.
So for those who have installed a hitch - is it worth $800-1000 to get the Honda one (installed)?

Or would you get a third-party, and do it yourself (which begs the question, what to do the bolts attach to?).

Then... are there NON-hitch alternatives - again, recent experience, not "2015" or "2004" or "2008".

·
Registered
762 Posts
I got the Honda one installed by dealer, I toe motorcycle on motorcycle trailer (less than 2000lb gross Weight). Primarily I went with dealer option to

1) make use of the factory hitch wiring that’s at the rear fuse panel (not sure if after market hitch also plugs there).

2) Another reason I went that route was to make sure my kick sensor will still work since the Honda hitch is well hidden and part of installation they make adjustments to the sensor location in the bumper to allow that kick sensor to continue to work.

I don’t know about others experience with after market hitch and the kick sensor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
700 Posts
You can purchase a third party hitch at etrailer for less than $150. Pretty easy to Diy. There is minimal aesthetic and no functional differences.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the Honda one installed by dealer, I toe motorcycle on motorcycle trailer (less than 2000lb gross Weight). Primarily I went with dealer option to

1) make use of the factory hitch wiring that’s at the rear fuse panel (not sure if after market hitch also plugs there).
2) Another reason I went that route was to make sure my kick sensor will still work since the Honda hitch is well hidden and part of installation they make adjustments to the sensor location in the bumper to allow that kick sensor to continue to work.
thank you.
funny that my kick sensor RARELY works... without a hitch...

·
Registered
14 Posts
2018: I bought a Curt hitch online, shipped to my door for less than $150. Super easy to install. I've heard that Honda will sell you a kit to relocate your kick sensor, if you're worried about that.

For a bike rack, I use a Kuat NV tray rack. I'd recommend a tray rack over other styles because it's quick to load and the mounts don't touch the frame on your bike (for those that have carbon frames). Thule and Yakima also have a variety of good tray rack models.

·
Registered
463 Posts
To continue the bandwagon-ing, I also recommend purchasing from eTrailer for a hitch. The Honda OEM one is nicely done, but I did not want to remove and cut into my bumper so that the hitch could be hidden. But, I could see for some that might make a difference. I first went with a Draw Tite 2" hitch, but found that the hitch receiver was too far underneath the bumper. It was not too far for the bike rack, and one bonus was that it did not scrape often on steep driveways/speedbumps. I bought an eTrailer branded 2" hitch to replace it and have been pleased it with since. The installation is straight-forward - no bumper removal or cutting required.

The Kuat racks are really well built with lots of thoughtful touches. I had one at the same time as my 1UpUsa rack. The latter eventually won out as my rack of choice because I could not use the Kuat's wheel strap for my tri-bike's disc wheel. That was the only reason (for me) to give the nod to to the 1Up system. They are both head and shoulders above other systems. They do cost a lot, especially when you want to add the ability to carry four bikes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My first one was an Uhaul one and because I was hitting the street in my way out in some parking lot I visit frequently i then installed the E-trailer version with the same issue, removed and installed the dealer version and not problem since.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L with Nav/RES
11 Posts
My first one was an Uhaul one and because I was hitting the street in my way out in some parking lot I visit frequently i then installed the E-trailer version with the same issue, removed and installed the dealer version and not problem since.

Sir, do you mind taking a picture of your OEM trailer hitch installed on your van? (Preferably how it looks/clears the bumper from the side and a photo looking up at the set-up, if it's not too much to ask). I've been trying to look for a picture of the van with OEM trailer hitch and I could not find one. I would like to compare that with how it looks (and extends) against the trailer hitches on etrailer.com Thank you!

·
Registered
8 Posts

What kind of bike rack is that? I was looking at the Thule Apex Swing

·
Registered
43 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
What kind of bike rack is that? I was looking at the Thule Apex Swing
Before my last one I used one like you put in the link, its good for short distance, but in one of my trips driving 9 hours I didn't like as the bikes were bouncing a lot i had to stop to tie the tires too.

The one in the link the bike are resting in their tires ties to the base and is also ties in the center, so double protection

In the picture I'm only carrying one bike.

Also, when not using you can fold.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sir, do you mind taking a picture of your OEM trailer hitch installed on your van? (Preferably how it looks/clears the bumper from the side and a photo looking up at the set-up, if it's not too much to ask). I've been trying to look for a picture of the van with OEM trailer hitch and I could not find one. I would like to compare that with how it looks (and extends) against the trailer hitches on etrailer.com Thank you!
Here are some, hope that helps

·
Registered
43 Posts
@jabe that factory hitch looks great. Did you install it yourself or have it done at the dealer? I got a quote from my dealer to install the hitch + new lift gate sensor for 630. I'm debating between that and doing it myself with this low profile hitch from etrailer.
If you can do in the dealer I think is better option but will depend in if are willing to spend that money

I liked as is less visual and better looking and the best part is that is more high from floor.

I did on the dealer. I paid around 800 for the hitch, gate sensor and wire install.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just installed the Draw-tite hitch from etrailer.com this afternoon. It took a little over an hour. Not a hard job. I had my 12yr old hold one side while it put the bolts in.

I haven't tested the lift gate sensor, but I will.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just installed the Draw-tite hitch from etrailer.com this afternoon. It took a little over an hour. Not a hard job. I had my 12yr old hold one side while it put the bolts in.

I haven't tested the lift gate sensor, but I will.
That's good, please add some pictures if you can.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L with Nav/RES
11 Posts
Here are some, hope that helps

That looks really clean! Thanks for taking the time to take those pics! I appreciate you! I kinda love/hate that the bumper needs to be trimmed like that. LOL. Love it because now it really rides higher. Hate it because the bumper needs to be trimmed. Thanks for including the tape measure in some of your photos! That really helps a lot!

·
Registered
43 Posts
That looks really clean! Thanks for taking the time to take those pics! I appreciate you! I kinda love/hate that the bumper needs to be trimmed like that. LOL. Love it because now it really rides higher. Hate it because the bumper needs to be trimmed. Thanks for including the tape measure in some of your photos! That really helps a lot!
Glad I was able to help you.

If you don't want the bumper to be cut your only option is E-trailer or Uhaul and if I remember right is the same version or part number as E-trailer but branded as Uhaul.

When I installed that one I think I paid around 250 for hitch plus installation.

Other option is the CURT. I had that brand one in my Toyota Sienna for around 6 years with not issue

Here is the Amazon one for our van and a picture

CURT 13370 Class 3 Trailer Hitch, 2-Inch Receiver for Select Honda Odyssey https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RNVR6V/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_ZL0ZEbKBGVM5W

I remember I installed thst one myself, will be better if have an extra pair of hands.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts