Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just installed my hitch last week. I bought the draw tite 76170 from trailer jacks as they were quite cheaper than same one at etrailer. etrailer does offer 110% price match, but i didnt want to deal with all that at the moment..

I installed it single handed, took a good part of my day, but this is my fist time working on a car, or under the car. Based on ur skills time will vary significantly. A local car repair shop quoted $150 for installation, but I think the quote was for a CURT hitch that didnt involve removing bumper etc... So I guess it would have costed me much more.

The instructions on the etrailer site are pretty good.

Here is something I used to hold the rack on both sides while I put the first bolt in.

One crate on both sides..

Here is how it looks overall after installing

It does help to have two people as I broke one of the locking clips for the bumper.. having two people remove the bumper from both sides simultaneously might have prevented this.. nothing major though.. so just left it alone

Now the hunt for a good affordable bike rack begins... I like the idea of tray racks... my wife is short so tray racks might help in her case

Edit: We have an EXL and no kick gate option..

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just installed my hitch last week. I bought the draw tite 76170 from trailer jacks as they were quite cheaper than same one at etrailer. etrailer does offer 110% price match, but i didnt want to deal with all that at the moment..

I installed it single handed, took a good part of my day, but this is my fist time working on a car, or under the car. Based on ur skills time will vary significantly. A local car repair shop quoted $150 for installation, but I think the quote was for a CURT hitch that didnt involve removing bumper etc... So I guess it would have costed me much more.

The instructions on the etrailer site are pretty good.

Here is something I used to hold the rack on both sides while I put the first bolt in.

View attachment 155547

One crate on both sides..

Here is how it looks overall after installing

View attachment 155548

It does help to have two people as I broke one of the locking clips for the bumper.. having two people remove the bumper from both sides simultaneously might have prevented this.. nothing major though.. so just left it alone

View attachment 155549

Now the hunt for a good affordable bike rack begins... I like the idea of tray racks... my wife is short so tray racks might help in her case

Edit: We have an EXL and no kick gate option..
Looks great, nice job! Wish I'd seen that price at Trailer Jacks first - just ordered mine mine the other day.

Re: the bike rack, Harbor Freight apparently has one for 40 bucks that could be a good starter rack.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Honda version definitely looks flusher.
But if there was little chance I could install the E-Trailer one, there's zero percent I could do the Honda one...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Looks great, nice job! Wish I'd seen that price at Trailer Jacks first - just ordered mine mine the other day.

Re: the bike rack, Harbor Freight apparently has one for 40 bucks that could be a good starter rack.
If you ordered from etrailer, they do price guarantee. So might be worth checking.

The harbor freight one looks good, especially for short trips to the trail or something... thanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I installed the Honda one myself. Didn't take all that long (instructions were super easy to follow) You do have to make a few cuts to the bumper.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Does anyone have experience using Allen Sports hanging hitch racks (Premier locking)? I'm looking for a 4 bike rack under $300 and considering that one or Thule Hitching Post Pro. I want something easy to install and takes relatively less space. Any other suggestions are welcome too..

·
Registered
57 Posts
Does anyone have experience using Allen Sports hanging hitch racks (Premier locking)? I'm looking for a 4 bike rack under $300 and considering that one or Thule Hitching Post Pro. I want something easy to install and takes relatively less space. Any other suggestions are welcome too..
I know is not in the price range you asked, but here is mine

I have since 2017, been used in another car before Odyssey, and that one been used for 2 road trip from Massachusetts to Canada and other trip from Massachusetts to Florida with 4 bikes with on it with not issues, that bike rack can also be converted for use with 2 bikes only.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

21 - 28 of 28 Posts