Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guy's:

Just looking for a recommendation for current Struts/Shock Absorber replacement on an 02 Ody @ 145k?

I've done some searching in here but most recommendations seem to be several years old, so just looking for a little more current info...

Thx

·
Registered
664 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
I installed Reflex'es on the rear at 65K----at 111K they were completely shot.....so bad we could actually see one of the rear wheels bouncing on the road :(

I changed to KYB GR-2s all the way around at 111K and have been very happy so far....time will tell if they last longer than the Monroes

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm about to hit buy on a set of the KYB's, I'll update on how they feel. But even cheap struts/shocks feel great, compared to worn ones, initially. Its how they hold after 30k thats the real story.
Also will be doing 4 new springs, insulators, strut bushings.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Meody's right; new shocks will usually feel better than the worn ones. I'll be curious to see how the KYB's feel after a year or two. My springs were still good so I decided to keep them. I had my indie replace them since they were too big for my spring compressors. Cost about $45. Total parts cost from Tirerack for all four plus front shock mounts was $314 before tax and shipping. I also got new fasteners from the dealer for about $75 and changed them out too. First time I did this and it was pretty straight forward. Took about an afternoon excluding going to the indie. The dealer quoted around $1700 for the same work but they would have used stock parts instead of KYB's.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Just received my Monroe sensatrack rear shocks for my '06 from rockauto.com, they ran about $37 each. In my past cars KYB's were very firm, which is ok on a sports car but my last van rode really rough, I not making that mistake again. YMMV

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
sedate_driver said:
I had my indie replace them since they were too big for my spring compressors. Cost about $45. Total parts cost from Tirerack for all four plus front shock mounts was $314 before tax and shipping. I also got new fasteners from the dealer for about $75 and changed them out too.
Hmm, I went the OEM assembly route for maybe $440 for the fronts and got new springs out of the deal. I think it's worth the few extra bucks especially in the salt belt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I put in a set of rear Monroe Sensa Trac's in May after replacing the Front Strut Assy's. The rear seemed soft after only replacing the struts. However, I still found the Sensa Tracs even softer than the original Honda shocks after 157,000 km and to top it off I checked yesterday and both shocks a leaking. I am taking them back and putting the old ones back on. I will go with the OEM's but not Monroes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
OdyinNH said:
Hmm, I went the OEM assembly route for maybe $440 for the fronts and got new springs out of the deal. I think it's worth the few extra bucks especially in the salt belt.
I hear you about the salt. My dealer quoted a much higher cost for the whole assembly. My springs seemed fine but the fasteners and sway bar links looked questionable so got changed too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
radar_007 said:
I put in a set of rear Monroe Sensa Trac's in May after replacing the Front Strut Assy's. The rear seemed soft after only replacing the struts. However, I still found the Sensa Tracs even softer than the original Honda shocks after 157,000 km and to top it off I checked yesterday and both shocks a leaking. I am taking them back and putting the old ones back on. I will go with the OEM's but not Monroes.
Try the KYB's for the rear. I know DirkDaddy thought they were too firm but I like the new ride.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm going to go with KYB shocks on the rears based on the feedback here. Will report back after I install them. I currently have OEM shocks on an '00 EX w/120k miles. Ride is fine, but want to replace the shocks as part of ongoing maintenance.
I'm ordering them online from Advanced Auto for $66 after applying promo code BIG35.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
radar_007- You're right about the Monroe's. My 10 year old OEM rear shocks have more push to them. I may buy OEM in a year or so. Amazing how good all the shocks and struts looked with the age/miles of my Ody.

sedate_driver- My local dealer would be crazy money. I was going to buy online from Bernardi but their prices were also too high. I think I ended up at Majestic Honda's website.

·
Registered
24 Posts
OdyinNH - Living stateside gives you lots of alternatives with free shipping and such. Up here in the great white north, we get killed by currency conversion (less so these days), import duties, and shipping. I wish I could say the great weather makes up for the added cost but I'd lose there too! Oh well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
sedate driver- I agree about the insane price for parts in Canada but don't get me started.... When it's time for shocks I'll be buying them form the states. 1sthaondaparts.com.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Sedate_driver, I did have to pay shipping and it wasn't cheap but still way cheaper to buy online. They do weigh 70lbs for the pair. All I'm saying is shop around, maybe your dealer would come closer to the online prices. Also, you can pull the Honda part number from any of the sites and do a Google search for the best price. The 2 that I normally buy from happen to be a state or 2 from NH so I get them quickly and maybe get a bit of a discount on shipping because they are close.

·
Registered
24 Posts
OdyinNH, true it pays to shop around. Unfortunately for us, our markets are generally way smaller than yours and therefore have significantly less competition.

For example, there are 4 dealers in town, 2 more in satellite towns, and then nothing for 100 miles, just raw prairie. Most if not all of them keep both their shop labour and parts in line with each other. Total population within 100 mile radius - about 1.5 million. I'm guessing your equivalent population base would be about 10 times that figure. When I asked about the difference between online and their pricing, they said I have the freedom to buy from wherever I want. Lack of competition.

That's why I ended up going online too (I've become a TireRack convert :D). Even with conversion, duty, and shipping, they still came out ahead on the KYB's for me, even slightly better compared to a Canadian online store.

Same goes for computers, clothes, shoes, medical devices (I bought a CPAP machine from there for one third the local's price), you name it. I even played around with using a redirecting shipper like Bongo to take advantage of free shipping you guys seem to have from most of your online stores. There's a reason why so many Canadians head south for every shopping opportunity they can have, better selection at better prices.

In the end, I just resign myself to the high transaction costs for the privilege of living where I am.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
You gotta do what you gotta do, free shipping is why I use Amazon for many items. The thing around here is one dealer's price is 175% what it is online and the next is 150%. No rhyme or reason just inflated prices so I say they can keep their parts. I only go to them when desperate. Those strut assemblies that I paid $208-ish each for plus $30 shipping are in the high $300's each at the local guy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts