Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post and thanks in advance for helping me!

I am a long time Honda Owner. I have owned 4 Hondas and am looking to purchase my 5th. I currently own a 2006 Pilot EX-L w/ RES with 80k miles. We purchased the Pilot new and we love the car. My original plan was to drive it until it dies but my wife is now pregnant with our third child and the 3rd row seat on the Pilot is just too difficult to access. In addition my oldest daughter gets hot back there during the Texas summers because there is no good ventilation back there.

We have decided it is now time to purchase a minivan. Due to the cost of the new Odysseys we are going to purchase a used one so I can pay the difference in cash and not have another car payment. I currently have a 2008 Odyssey Touring on hold (I paid a $500 deposit) in Dallas. It was pretty difficult to find a used one here in Austin that was Certified so I extended my search. The van has 37k miles and I am driving up tomorrow night and will test drive it first thing on Saturday. I originally wanted to get an older van to reduce my out of pocket cost but I found out about the PAX issue so I wanted to avoid that. That is why I chose the '08 model.

I have read these forums for a little bit since deciding to get an Odyssey and have seen some comments on potential transmission issues, problems with uncomfortable seats, random squeaks etc...

I guess my question is when I do a test drive what parts should I focus on? Are there things I should listen for? Any help would be great. I would love to avoid having complications with this van in the future and would like to make sure I am getting something without obvious problems.

Also what should I make sure comes with the vehicle?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Congratulations on the van.. probabaly??

I would look at and bring with you, alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist over at DV's webhost

http://www.urvi.net/2005odyfan/Checklist.html

Also, since the van is certified you would have a 12/12 extension of the bumper to bumper (37+12) to 49K and a 100K extension of the drive train which would cover tranny, engine etc.

I would also check out the TSB's for the van and make sure that they van you will look at does not have any of the symptoms.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/46024-2008-odyssey-technical-service-bulletins-tsb.html

08's had a recall for the Soft Brake Feel- air in VSA modulator, make sure that has been fixed.

Good Luck,

Pat

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
Try to have them throw in a latest maps DVD for the NAV system. Worth asking. Worst that can happen is they say No. The Disk is ~$200 shipped.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I'd take it out on the highway....cruise at 55, 60, 65, 70mph and make sure the VCM operation doesn't annoy the crap out of you. Some vans have some vibration/noise associated with it. The transmission/torque convert. issue usually pops up when trying to accelerate lightly at 40-45mph. Since the warranty will cover the transmission for quite awhile...I wouldn't worry to much about that. The VCM vibration can be hard to fix on certain vans but it's usually associated with a bum motor mount.

The concern I have is in the interior picture. There appears to be a gap in the panels of the bottom console...behind the DVD player. This could simply be a bad repair job or it could indicate a an accident. Sometimes panels pop out of place during an accident and they may not have noticed that when they put it back together. Something that severe should show up on carfax or be pretty easy to detect the damage elsewhere. It's probably nothing...but certainly worth mentioning when dropping that kind of $$.

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
The concern I have is in the interior picture. There appears to be a gap in the panels of the bottom console...behind the DVD player. This could simply be a bad repair job or it could indicate a an accident. Sometimes panels pop out of place during an accident and they may not have noticed that when they put it back together. Something that severe should show up on carfax or be pretty easy to detect the damage elsewhere. It's probably nothing...but certainly worth mentioning when dropping that kind of $$.
Nope. That comes like that from the factory. Both my buddy's Touring and my EX-L R&N have that same gap. That gap doesn't constitute a wreck. As to CarFax, I'd use them with a grain of salt. A LOT of wrecks do NOT show up on CarFax. Infact, I have now started to believe that CarFax is a crap chute at best.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd take it out on the highway....cruise at 55, 60, 65, 70mph and make sure the VCM operation doesn't annoy the crap out of you. Some vans have some vibration/noise associated with it. The transmission/torque convert. issue usually pops up when trying to accelerate lightly at 40-45mph. Since the warranty will cover the transmission for quite awhile...I wouldn't worry to much about that. The VCM vibration can be hard to fix on certain vans but it's usually associated with a bum motor mount.

Wow thanks for the observation. I too noticed that gap and assumed that it was just the way it was designed. The carfax is clean. It is a lease return. They also had a 2010 with the same mileage but makes me wonder why someone would trade in a van only a year old.

Our pilot has the VCM is it different between the Odyssey and the Pilot? I know on the Pilot you can't even tell when it switches. At least I haven't been able to tell.

Oh and they have the color listed as Slate Green. I saw a Slate Green EX-L at Carmax on Wednesday when I got my Pilot appraised and it didn't look like the van we put a deposit on. Is this van Nimbus Gray and they just got the color wrong?

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
This is infact Nimbus Gray. I'd know as I have Slate Green. ;)

They got the color wrong and that gap behind the DVD player comes like that from the factory. You can feel free to look at any other RES model in stock any where to ascertain that they all have that.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts

They got the color wrong and that gap behind the DVD player comes like that from the factory. You can feel free to look at any other RES model in stock any where to ascertain that they all have that.
I swear my '05 doesn't have that gap. I recall complaining at delivery because those two pieces didn't fit together properly and I had the dealership fix it...which could explain why they changed it in the later models! Maybe the factory couldn't get that one to fit right without spending an extra 2 seconds on it :DD

I'll take a peek tonight when I get home just as a sanity check.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I swear my '05 doesn't have that gap. I recall complaining at delivery because those two pieces didn't fit together properly and I had the dealership fix it...which could explain why they changed it in the later models! Maybe the factory couldn't get that one to fit right without spending an extra 2 seconds on it :DD

I just looked at another photo of a 2008 at the same dealership and it also has the gap.

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts

I am not sure about the 2005 but in mine, there is no way that gap wouldn't be there unless they elongated the panel. Its not a mis fit. One of the panels is shorter and hence the gap. If it was a fitment issue, I'd have corrected it myslef the first week I got the Oddy. :)

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
My fit problem was where that 45° angle comes to a point. It was overlapping the front panel. Perhaps the gap just isn't at obvious on the darker gray interior we have. That's almost as bas as the glove box!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My fit problem was where that 45° angle comes to a point. It was overlapping the front panel. Perhaps the gap just isn't at obvious on the darker gray interior we have. That's almost as bas as the glove box!
Yeah they have a silver with the black interior at the same lot and I can't see the gap in the photos. Just on the lighter interiors.

Thanks everyone for your help so far. I have the checklist printed and my wife has all the required stuff in the Pilot. I'll let you know how it goes. At least they have enough Odyssey's on their lot if one doesn't work out another will. There are a ton of lease returns. They have 13 odysseys pre-owned in stock.

·
Registered
419 Posts

I agree, the gap is normal.

Also, I think the price is a bit high for the mileage (37K) on the '08. But that is just my .03

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Pat

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
Yeah they have a silver with the black interior at the same lot and I can't see the gap in the photos. Just on the lighter interiors.
That's because the darker panels blend in with the black background in the gap. ;)

·
Registered
186 Posts
salt fogged car

I'm from the Northern Ill/ southern WI area,, salt is used extensively in the winter,,, yes Honda has great prevention for rust during the build but this car will still have problems from salt,,, I won't buy a car from anywhere north for that reason,,, just a thought ,,, there are plenty of Tourings that were only driven here in Dallas... Yes I'm in the Dallas area,,, if you want a independent mech to look at it call steve metcalf at honda dealer alternative,, 817 437 8085,, he can help you find a great Honda,,, if he asks you who refered you tell him Don " the crazy Aeronautical engineer" he knows me.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I'm from the Northern Ill/ southern WI area,, salt is used extensively in the winter,,, yes Honda has great prevention for rust during the build but this car will still have problems from salt,,, I won't buy a car from anywhere north for that reason,,, just a thought ,,, there are plenty of Tourings that were only driven here in Dallas... Yes I'm in the Dallas area,,, if you want a independent mech to look at it call steve metcalf at honda dealer alternative,, 817 437 8085,, he can help you find a great Honda,,, if he asks you who refered you tell him Don " the crazy Aeronautical engineer" he knows me.
Thanks so much for that input. You really have me thinking. I didn't even think of that.

Edit:
I just went and looked up a bunch of cars available and they all seem to be from up north. Strange....

I think most of the Texas based ones have way more miles. Darn Texans drive too much.

If I did get this van since it will be garaged 80% of the time and only outside when it is sitting in a Target parking lot what are the risks since it spent its first 3 years in the great white north?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts