What would you do in my situation?

• Replace with a rebuilt Honda tranny at the dealer with a 3/36 warranty

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it happened. The transmission finally gave out on me. The fam and I are up here in Arnold, CA and only reverse appears to be working. Very difficult to shift up from 2nd gear last night.

I am looking for recommendations on whether to have a shop repair the transmission or to have a dealer replace it with a re-built.

Option 1: Transmission Shop - repair
I contacted a shop down in Modesto by the name of A&G transmission, recommended by the local mechanic. They sound like great guys are want to repair the transmission. Ball parking their average cost around $3600-$3800 with worst case of $4200. They said they would match the warranty on the rebuilt provided from the dealer for 3 years 36,000 miles.

Option 2: Honda Dealer - repair
I contacted both Lodi and Stockton Honda Dealership service departments and looks like the cost is about $5000 to replace with a rebuilt tranny with a 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty.

The transmission shop believes strongly that when they are done with the tranny it will be much stronger than the rebuilt from Honda and will last longer.

What are your thoughts? Repair through tranny shop or replace at the dealer?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Tough spot since you are stranded.

As far as gettng a non honda rebuild - there are some mentioned here that seem to be better than Honda - Jasper and Gator are 2 that come to mind. Unfortunately you aren't in a position to go that route. How far are you from home. If the warranties are the same (and it isn't terribly far to get to the independent shop) I would go the cheaper option. If you get the Honda tranny you can get warranty work at any dealer. But is that worth an extra $1K?

FWIW, our 2nd tranny in our '01 from Honda (rebuild) lasted about 60K.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...

David,

Thanks for your reply. Your saying your 2nd tranny rebuilt from honda died after 60k or its going strong after 60k?

Thanks,

·
Administrator
14,504 Posts
I would NOT pay more for a Honda rebuild. I'd take my chances with an indy rebuild. Just recently there was a thread on here for recommended shops for tranny rebuild in CA. I am not sure how far you are from the guys who were recommended in that thread.

Personally, I would contact Gator transmission and get an authorized shop to install it in CA. Gator should come out way cheaper than the upto $4200 quote you're looking at.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Both sound too expensive unless it's a clean 2004 and you plan on keeping it a long time.

I've you were thinking of getting out I'd go buy a new van and sell that one unless you are too far from home.

Did you already decide?

·
Registered
747 Posts
David,

Thanks for your reply. Your saying your 2nd tranny rebuilt from honda died after 60k or its going strong after 60k?

Thanks,
2nd tranny (honda rebuild) installed at 90K died at 150K.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I would NOT pay more for a Honda rebuild. I'd take my chances with an indy rebuild. Just recently there was a thread on here for recommended shops for tranny rebuild in CA. I am not sure how far you are from the guys who were recommended in that thread.

Personally, I would contact Gator transmission and get an authorized shop to install it in CA. Gator should come out way cheaper than the upto $4200 quote you're looking at.
+1 Gator or Jasper

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the replies...

Thanks for your replies guys. I was leaning towards the Gator or Jasper option and then got a quote from a local dealer for what seemed like a great price for a honda rebuilt so I had that car shipped to them for $500 bucks. Turns out they quoted me the wrong price, off by around $1000 bucks. Anyway, I started to explore the alternatives and the dealer said they would install whatever tranny I wanted for around 1K in labor.

After receiving our van, they said that they think the tranny might be fine and that it is just a broken shifter cable. They have ordered the new part for $85 bucks and it will be about $260 in labor to install. My thought was that I broke the cable when trying to get the car out of 2nd gear (took a lot of pressure) and that the tranny is still trashed. They said they looked in through a peep hole at the tranny and it looks fine. Not sure what to expect at this point. I gave them the go ahead to replace the shifter cable for $350.

Thoughts?

Let's hope the tranny holds out a while longer.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I think you may be more accurate than them. I can't recall anyone ever mentioning a peephole that would show the typical parts that go bad and a normal unit takes little effort to move the shifter. I think they can check for a burnt gear though. I'd call the 2 tranny places mentioned and see who can get a tranny there for the best price and warranty in a time frame you can live with and don't forget they usually want the old one back.

·
Administrator
14,504 Posts
I think you may be more accurate than them. I can't recall anyone ever mentioning a peephole that would show the typical parts that go bad and a normal unit takes little effort to move the shifter. I think they can check for a burnt gear though. I'd call the 2 tranny places mentioned and see who can get a tranny there for the best price and warranty in a time frame you can live with and don't forget they usually want the old one back.
Too late. OP is already in a $850 hole. $500 for towing and $350 for the cable.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I don't know about you guys but a broken transmission cable and a broken transmission behave *completely* differently. I would have thought you would have been able to know the difference.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Too late. OP is already in a $850 hole. $500 for towing and $350 for the cable.
Agreed but why throw another 4k away for the genuine Honda rebuilt unit if they'll do the labor for 1k and the Jasper unit is under 2k shipped. That's under 3k instead of the 5k listed. As for the cable, I don't see how one could break unless something was binding the linkage. Pehavens mentioned that is was hard to move up from 2nd but maybe I misunderstood the post.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts