Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi gang - so far i'm still sticking with my first choice (per consumer reports) of the graco snugride...followed by the britax - either the roundabout or advantage - any suggestions or opinions? i'd really prefer latch seats, but don't know of any current models - thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gary:
hi gang - so far i'm still sticking with my first choice (per consumer reports) of the graco snugride...followed by the britax - either the roundabout or advantage - any suggestions or opinions? i'd really prefer latch seats, but don't know of any current models - thanks!</font>
I say get the car seat you like & suits your purposes, and then get the Century LATCH Retrofit kit.

Technically its only supposed to be used on Century car seats (and you'll see a *lot* of vehemently rabid nazi-types in another section of this forum chastise you for thinking about this!), but that's just attorney-speak for "Don't sue us!".

The truth is, assuming your car seat anchors like 99.9% of the car seats out there, then Century's LATCH retrofit kit will work just fine. It uses the same slots to go through that any car's seat belt would use.

I just got mine today, and I'll be going out to put it in the Ody now. I recently bought a Graco carseat in part because it really wasn't much different than a couple of other models I liked (at the local Toys 'R Us), but it was a heck of a lot cheaper ($40 instead of $80). The design was virtually *identical*--right down to the buckle on the 5-point harness--to the similar Century seats. I'll be using the Latch Retrofit kit with no worries.

------------------
RW
'02 SS EX (Navi Wanted, but not Leather--looking into Aftermarket Navi)
- Cargo Tray & Cover
- Mud Flaps
- Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel
- Lots of Scotch-Guard
'89 Red Mazda B2200
'86 Gray Acura Legend (Tranny going out--replacing with Ody!)
'84 Honda V500 Interceptor Motorcycle
Past 'Fav: '86 Honda Prelude Si (totalled by an idiot from behind)

P

·
0 Posts
What exactly is this LATCH retrofit kit?

We're most likely going to put a two month old Fisher Price Futura 5 pt. in the center bench seating position (when we get our Ody), but the seat belt will get in the way. Is the retrofit a remedy for this?

Oh, and the Furuta's belt path is opposite most other car seats (it goes over the side, behind the back, and over the side as opposed to behind the side, over the back, and then over the other side). Do you see any problems with this?

Where can we get this kit if it'll work (we don't have problems that our seat isn't Century).

Michelle

------------------

Phoenix (gone, but not forgotten) & Belle (aka Belzebub)

·
Registered
5 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by poodleluvr:
What exactly is this LATCH retrofit kit?

Where can we get this kit if it'll work (we don't have problems that our seat isn't Century).

</font>
The LATCH retrofit kit fastens to the LATCH fasteners in the middle seats. You don't use the seatbelts to hold the carseat in place. They're supposedly available at Babies R Us but we checked 2 of those stores in San Diego county and neither one had them. We ended up calling Century and ordering them directly from them. 1 for $25 or 2 for $40-45, shipping included. Check their website www.centuryproducts.com to see what they are.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What exactly is this LATCH retrofit kit?

We're most likely going to put a two month old Fisher Price Futura 5 pt. in the center bench seating position (when we get our Ody), but the seat belt will get in the way. Is the retrofit a remedy for this?
</font>
Yes. However, the Century belt may not be long enough for the Futura's belt path. (I have a Futura, and know of what you speak.)

I have a Century LATCH belt in my hand, and the longest the belt itself* can be is about 36 inches. I won't go out and dissassemble my Futura from my car, sorry! So get your Futura and see if you think a 3 foot lap belt will go through it and hang out the ends.

(*When I say "the belt itself" I mean from the inside end of one LATCH attachment mechanism to the inside end of the other attachment mechanism.)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Which latch kit is better... even flo or century? And where can you find century? I found even flo at babies r us. Do they have the century latch kit, too?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LogansMom:
Which latch kit is better... even flo or century? And where can you find century? I found even flo at babies r us. Do they have the century latch kit, too?</font>
funny - i found the century latch kit at babies r us, but not the evenflo! i guess the best kit is the one that fits best - i still can't believe there aren't more latch baby seats out there!

·
Registered
91 Posts
i'd really prefer latch seats, but don't know of any current models - thanks!</font>
Well, with the retrofits offered by Century and Evenflo, I think all the seats listed on the respective boxes (there are 15 listed on the Evenflo box) are now LATCH seats ... more if you want to rely on your own judgment eyeballing the installation on “other” seats, bases, or manufacturers products.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RWhittle:
Technically its only supposed to be used on Century car seats (and you'll see a *lot* of <font color=red>vehemently rabid nazi-types </font> in another section of this forum chastise you for thinking about this!), but that's just attorney-speak for "Don't sue us!".</font>
Hmmm. ATTENTION: Everyone on the ODYCLUB board! Please raise your hand if this description fits YOU ... , ... , ... no takers eh?

Dude, deep inhalation time! Everyone here loves you (or at least they did). It’s just REALLY hard to know exactly what might happen in the event of an accident, what with those 36 million variables, PLUS a seat that was never designed to work with a belt like this. It’s even harder for many to recommend this setup to others. Here’s to hoping you’re RIGHT!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adam1991:
I have a Century LATCH belt in my hand, and the longest the belt itself* can be is about 36 inches.</font>
The Evenflo SecureRight LATCH system retrofit is also 36” of belt (fully extended), with the entire setup measuring 43” (tip of one hook to tip of the other).

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LogansMom:
Which latch kit is better ... even flo or century? And where can you find century? I found even flo at babies r us. Do they have the century latch kit, too?</font>
I think it’s probably a bit early in the product cycle to declare a winner. Stay tuned, though, as I’m sure FOX will be out with a new show this spring “Extreme Uncensored Battling LATCH Belts” to settle this question once and for all.
------------------------------------------------------------------
’90 4Runner – lacking for a family of 5
’02 GG Odyssey EX-L-RES – my new best friend

tnuckels

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tnuckels:
I think it’s probably a bit early in the product cycle to declare a winner. Stay tuned, though, as I’m sure FOX will be out with a new show this spring “Extreme Uncensored Battling LATCH Belts” to settle this question once and for all. </font>
personally, i'd be more comfortable with a child seat that CAME with the latch attachments - not because i'm too cheap to spend the $10 for the retrofit (ok, i am cheap!) but more because i want to know the thing was designed properly to work WITH THAT SEAT = i don't want to learn there was something in the seat that cut the strap, or it had too much slack/too little slack, etc...plus, i don't want to let the manufacturer off the hook (as may happen if the seat plus another manufacturer's latch fails - the seat manny would say it wasn't designed for latch, etc.) - nope - i'll wait for a full blown latch, or stick to the seatbelts...just my opinion!

·
Registered
23 Posts
personally, i'd be more comfortable with a child seat that CAME with the latch attachments - not because i'm too cheap to spend the $10 for the retrofit (ok, i am cheap!) but more because i want to know the thing was designed properly to work WITH THAT SEAT = i don't want to learn there was something in the seat that cut the strap, or it had too much slack/too little slack, etc...plus, i don't want to let the manufacturer off the hook (as may happen if the seat plus another manufacturer's latch fails - the seat manny would say it wasn't designed for latch, etc.) - nope - i'll wait for a full blown latch, or stick to the seatbelts...just my opinion!</font>
You'd think that with all the variability in seats and seat belts, that anyone who wasn't comfortable with those factors would use a car seat at all.

I would tend to agree with RW's point that most likely, this is a legal issue, not a safety one. BUT that being said, it is important to keep in mind that if something were to happen and there was actually a manufacturers defect in the retrofit kit, you'd be SOL if you were using it on a non-supported seat. For me, that point alone would make me shy away from using it on a non-supported seat.

In the software world we run across this type of stuff all the time. Software manufacturers will list "supported" configurations and it almost always means "we haven't tested it on these other configs" vs. "we tested it on these other configs and it doesn't work". It's interesting but the language used to indicate the latter is usually quite different than the language used for the former.

Anyway, back to the original question, we have the Britax Roundabout and it rocks. Can not recommend it enough. Lot's of little touches that are hard to put in words (esp. when you're at work and supposed to be working). We have two car seats, can't even remember the manuf. of the other one (Graco?), it's a part of a travel system, which is fine for what it does, but we can't wait until the Super Elite finally comes in so we can shift our little one over to the Roundabout.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by codePig:
You'd think that with all the variability in seats and seat belts, that anyone who wasn't comfortable with those factors would use a car seat at all.

I would tend to agree with RW's point that most likely, this is a legal issue, not a safety one. BUT that being said, it is important to keep in mind that if something were to happen and there was actually a manufacturers defect in the retrofit kit, you'd be SOL if you were using it on a non-supported seat. For me, that point alone would make me shy away from using it on a non-supported seat.

In the software world we run across this type of stuff all the time. Software manufacturers will list "supported" configurations and it almost always means "we haven't tested it on these other configs" vs. "we tested it on these other configs and it doesn't work". It's interesting but the language used to indicate the latter is usually quite different than the language used for the former.

Anyway, back to the original question, we have the Britax Roundabout and it rocks. Can not recommend it enough. Lot's of little touches that are hard to put in words (esp. when you're at work and supposed to be working). We have two car seats, can't even remember the manuf. of the other one (Graco?), it's a part of a travel system, which is fine for what it does, but we can't wait until the Super Elite finally comes in so we can shift our little one over to the Roundabout.
</font>

what's the super elite?

·
Registered
91 Posts
The only car seat with a five point harness that can be used to secure children weighing anywhere from 20-80lbs (read: the holy grail of car seats). http://www.childseat.com/resultsdetail_seats.cfm?pro_id=26
------------------------------------------------------------------
’90 4Runner – lacking for a family of 5
’02 GG Odyssey EX-L-RES – my new best friend

tnuckels

[This message has been edited by tnuckels (edited 11-07-2001).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts