Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'09 Odyssey 216K miles
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an ‘09 Odyssey with 217K miles. Runs great, never any major issues, and seems to be holding up very well. Have done regular maintenance at manufacturer recommended intervals. Since the retail or trade-in value is going to be limited due to the mileage, I have decided to keep it as a second vehicle for very light duty use when I purchase a new vehicle next year. I’m leaning toward the Honda Pilot Elite AWD as the Ody will serve any purpose I have for carrying larger bulky items occasionally and as my primary vehicle, the Pilot will give me a good size comfortable cabin and will have a larger towing capacity which I will need to tow a future planned camper.

Question: I’ve definitely noticed a considerable amount of looseness in the front suspension/steering, along with a rattle. I’ve recently had the sway bar links replaced, which were definitely worn, but the looseness and rattle is still present. I figure its definitely time to replace the struts all the way around as they are original so will do that the next couple of weeks.

Any recommendations or experience that could tell me what if anything else I should consider since I’m planning on keeping the Ody as long as it’s still running so well? Mechanic recently inspected and replaced the sway bar linkage. He said all motor mounts were good and they appear to be so from my limited knowledge. Any recommendations or thoughts about things I should consider besides the struts? Anything else?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Struts and strut bearings. Rear shocks. Check the ball joints and tie rods for play. Check the control arm bushings, I doubt they are still in good condition after 217k miles.

·
Registered
10,135 Posts
the looseness and rattle is still present
Looseness was covered well in the previous post.

Rattle could be worn caliper slide bolts. To test, lightly press the brake when the rattle is present. If the rattle stops, the rattle is from the calipers.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
First, used car values are really high now, especially at the lower end. Check actual selling prices before deciding based on historic assumptions.

Second, what makes sense is very much dependent on who does the work. From what you wrote about the sway bar links, it sounds like you are not doing things yourself.

Example: Replacing both front LCAs would likely make a great improvement from the new bushings and ball joints. DIY = about $250 of parts, and half a day. (And sway bar links/bushings would be an inexpensive add on). A shop will likely get $1000+, unless you have one that willingly works with your parts.

And, the situation you describe is one where you could spread the work over a week, if that's your pref. Normally, an "extra" car doesn't need to be back on the road "tomorrow" for someone to get to work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts