Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I hope this is a simple question to answer and is all perfectly normal... I have just purchased a Honda Odyssey 2006 Luxury, when I lock it, the small red light on the dash flashes. In the manual it says the light is for the security system. Is it supposed to stop flashing after 15-25 seconds... or continue flashing all night until you unlock it again? After reading the manual a few times I still wasn't sure if the light should only flash for 15-25 secs while it sets itself then turn off - OR - If it takes 15-25 secs to set itself but the light will flash the whole time it's locked as a way of letting you know it's working??? Confused! I hope someone can help me out, THANKS!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hi, I hope this is a simple question to answer and is all perfectly normal... I have just purchased a Honda Odyssey 2006 Luxury, when I lock it, the small red light on the dash flashes. In the manual it says the light is for the security system. Is it supposed to stop flashing after 15-25 seconds... or continue flashing all night until you unlock it again? After reading the manual a few times I still wasn't sure if the light should only flash for 15-25 secs while it sets itself then turn off - OR - If it takes 15-25 secs to set itself but the light will flash the whole time it's locked as a way of letting you know it's working??? Confused! I hope someone can help me out, THANKS!

It will continue flashing until you unlock the van again. It is meant as a deterrent for would-be thieves. They see the flashing red light and that indicates to them that a security system is active... so they should go find another car to break into. Kinda defeats the purpose if the light goes off...

Having said that though... the security system doesn't go off with a broken window. They have to physically open the door.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh thanks! I was hoping for a reply that it was perfectly normal. The manual is so thick and I'm trying to work it all out and test things while the car is covered by warranty. Thankyou for your help. I'm so glad I had the idea to look for an Odyssey forum, found one and joined up!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Only real problem with the security LED is that it's in the dash at a spot where it's almost impossible to see from the outside of the vehicle. Kind of useless if you ask me.

·
Registered
9,252 Posts
Only real problem with the security LED is that it's in the dash at a spot where it's almost impossible to see from the outside of the vehicle. Kind of useless if you ask me.
In the dash means factory installed. On the dash means either aftermarket or a decoy. I think the subtle approach is better.

·
Registered
96 Posts
...the security system doesn't go off with a broken window. They have to physically open the door.
Which far too many low-lifes know. The last thing that happened to me in California (the night we were in a hotel, preparing to hit the road to CT) was having someone pop the sliding door window - levered it against the frame until it shattered with no impact - lean in and grab a bunch of crap.

They got a half-working netbook and the IR headphones for the DVD system. I got a new netbook, a $400 bill to replace the window in a hurry, a day's delay getting on the road and 1000 miles of grief from the kids who had planned to watch movies on the trip, until we picked up some spares.

So it's a toss-up as to whether a factory alarm system is worth the tiny cost of including it in the build. (Kind of like the one on an early Corvette where everyone knew where to drill the hole and cut the wire...)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Automatic (Passive) Arming Option???

Does any one know if the automatic (passive) arming option stated in page 5 of the security manual apply? :huh:

Security System User's Information (2005-2010 Odyssey)

I tried several times and I don't think it does. Did anyone try to do this?

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there!

Sorry to revisit this thread, My 2008 Odyssey just had a dead battery last week; after boosted with a friend's car, the alarm somehow went off after we disconnect the boost cables, and I disabled the alarm while the engine was running, using a second key by inserting it into the drivers door.

After a week, I just noticed that the red "Security System Indicator" in the dash, just beside the odometer push stick, (not the led antitheft indicator beside the Radio/CD player,) flashing all the time after I lock the van. Anyone can help to answer:

1. Is this red indicator keep flashing normal?
2. Is this indicator is the same one in the original post?

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
9,252 Posts
Yes, it's normal for this light to flash after you lock the van. It means the security system is active. If you ever lock the van and the light does not flash, something is wrong.

The light you described is the same one as in the first post.

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts