Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
After many years of owning Ford windstars, I made the switch to Honda. I just recently purchased a 2001 Honda Odyssey and really wish I had done it much sooner. My last straw with ford involved a recall (fifth one) regarding the rear axle and dangers of it cracking due to salt that is used on the roads. Third week in oct last year i sent the wife to the dealer and have it checked. Well it was cracked. Ford said no parts were availabe til after first of the year. Ford then put us in a rental at thier expense.fast forward 4 mos later, still at the dealer another recall came out for the sub frame. Took another 2 mos befor they could get to it. Now after being in a rental for 6 mos. courtesy of ford, i get a phone call from the dealer telling me it was unfixable and ford after having me in a rental for 6 mos decided to offer me a buy back option. $7k they gave me for my van. Thats when I crossed to the other side and got my odyssey. Do you realize the dealer told me not one recall has been issued for the odyssey? Should have done this a long time ago. and so far i am pleased.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Not a recall but a big mistake by Honda on 05-07 Touring model that leave customers to swallow PAX tire system which is pain on the pocket to replace $1400 a pop.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Do you realize the dealer told me not one recall has been issued for the odyssey? Should have done this a long time ago. and so far i am pleased.
Maybe not. At least one safety recall on some 2001's. If the dealer meant no recalls on all Odysseys, not true. Remember, many failures do not result in recalls no matter how expensive or damaging the failure might be. Transmissions come to mind in Odyssey. Was not pleased when mine went belly up.

"Honda has expanded a previously announced recall of certain 2001 and 2002 model-year vehicles to replace the driver's airbag inflator in an additional 378,758 vehicles in the U.S. The driver's airbag inflators in these vehicles may deploy with too much pressure, which can cause the inflator casing to rupture and could result in injury or fatality.

"Therefore, we have decided to add certain 2001 and 2002 Accord, Civic, Odyssey, CR-V, and selected 2002 Acura TL vehicles to this recall.*

Statement by American Honda Motor Co., Inc., Regarding Expansion of Driver's Airbag Inflator Recall - Honda.com

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/24-1999-2004-odyssey/80288-odyssey-recall.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well maybe I misunderstood the guy. I will clarify that I meant 2001 models. The guy basically there are no recalls done and none pending on this odyssey. He gave me a print out of my vans history. He did tell me that they highly recommend the timing belt gets done by 106K. Gave me a quote of $800 for that service. Was out driving today, did some extended Highway driving and I am really impressed. Either my old van was that bad or this ody van is that good. I really like the ride.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hey upsguy

the 2001 is a great van. Granted, there is no such thing as a perfect vehicle, but with that, Honda is the closest to being perfect.
We loved how comfy the seats were in our 2001. The ride was great, along with the power. The road noise was a bit more than the new 2011 but not bad at all.
I'm not certain what the guy told you was correct on the timing belt. I thought that was due at 60k and while your at it, please save yourself some money and do the water pump also. No sense in tearing the engine down and doing the belt when you can do the water pump at the same time and save yourself a headache/cost in the future.
You did good switching to Honda. I do also like what Ford is doing with their new cars.....they have come along way. But not up to Honda yet.
One of the major differences is that Honda uses better parts in building their cars. Just my opinion.
Congrats!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts