Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now that I have my ody ex, and after market video system, my only regret or if I were to do it again, it would be buying a ody with factory installed dvd. will do that for the 2004

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is good, but lacks the factory installed features. I think the factory installed is made by alpine, please correct me on this if Iam wrong.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What did you purchase? We are in love with our aftermarket gizmos and so happy we went that route.

We have the Kenwood navigation and Kenwood 910 dvd/tv tuner/am/fm radio unit that has the fold away screen in dash. Also we just installed a roof screen that allows someone in back to watch a dvd and use the headphones while pass in front can view the navi screen (or and have the movie which I refuse
listen to the radio.

While I think factory units are going to be the most easy and hopefully less frustrating, aftermarket items can be easy and expandable with the right purchase.

What features are you lacking? Would you really use those features?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The DVD demonstrator disc is from Panasonic, but I have also heard that the head-unit is from Alpine.

·
Registered
63 Posts
shareef,
the factory head units in most hondas are probably made by alpine, check out www.alpine1.com in the FAQ section alpine did confirm that they manufacture head units for honda and other car manufacturers.

OddGrinch is right about aftermarket systems' main advantage and that's expandability specially in today's audio/video setups, from dvd, mp3, tv tuner, vhs, xm sattelite, cell phones, navigation, car alarms to video games, all can be controlled or integrated into one head unit. email/web access probably is not far away --> this would be cool while my wife is shopping I'll able to check out this forum while waiting for her.

------------------
'02 Odyssey EX Redrock Pearl
Alpine Multi Media setup
MB Quart speakers
PS2

·
Registered
393 Posts
I used to work for Alpine (corporate US office in Torrance, CA)...hence my handle.

Anyway, FYI, the RES is made by Visteon...according to my Alpine contacts. And yes, when I took delivery of my 2002 Ody EX-L with aftermarket DVD (Audiovox), I wish I would have gotten the factory RES instead. It's a much cleaner solution and offers more features...although no TV tuner.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Yeah, no TV tuner--but those aux plugs in the back make up for a lot.

They should have put a power plug back there. (Is there one?)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just because the headunit is an Alpine doesn't mean it is any good. The headunit in my '00 EX was totally underpowered for the van's interior.

·
Registered
6 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adam1991:
Yeah, no TV tuner--but those aux plugs in the back make up for a lot.

They should have put a power plug back there. (Is there one?)
</font>
There is a power plug on the left side behind the third seat in my 2002 EXL-RES.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Interesting, I looked around the Visteon site (and Alpine, for that matter) but couldn't find any pictures of head units that look like the ODY RES. Also couldn't find any refs to dealings with Honda. Anybody else able to find any hints?
TarHeelGG

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
You won't find an OEM head unit at the manufacturer's site. The manufacturer simply designs and builds the unit to Honda specs, and it's a Honda-labeled and -branded piece.

Think about it: does it make sense for Honda to establish and maintain the resources needed for something like an audio system? That would be re-inventing the wheel, big time, and would be a waste of resources.

Just because Acme manufactures a widget for Honda, doesn't mean that Acme sells that widget with the Acme label.

As for references regarding dealing with Honda, that's a private matter of business between the two companies. Unless both parties agreed to the disclosure, you're not going to find any references to any company that Visteon may or may not do business with in any capacity.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I believe the RES headunit can be had for about $390 at www.ahmotor.com.

Not a horrible deal, considering the $140 tape unit you don't need to buy.

Note that I'm not sure it will work as a direct replacement, but I don't see any reason it should not.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts