Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The front power outlet on our '03 EX-L came loose from the dash recently. As this is the primary source of sanity on long trips (powers the portable DVD player for our kids - seven y.o. twins and a three year old) this was something that needed to be addressed.

Generally preferring not to have to pay someone to address what looked to be a fairly simple problem I decided to try my hand at it. Some searching here showed that while it appears this isn't an unheard of problem there aren't any of those nice follow-the-pics post on the topic that make me love this site so much. So, I busted out the camera in order to do one up myself. The following is the fruit of those labours. I hope this proves helpful to someone.

I started by looking at a site with diagrams to get a sense of the general picture of the anatomy and physiology I was dealing with. For this I chose Bernardi Parts. Nice site, easy to navigate. Enter you model, year, trimline, etc., go to the 'Section' dropdown and select 'Interior / Bumper'. From the following list, select 'Console' and you're given a parts diagram and list for the Centre Pocket Box Assembly you're going to need to disassemble to effect this repair. The 'item #'s' I reference below are taken from the diagram for this assembly at the Bernardi site.

Now, here's a pic of things when I was starting - the accessory socket had totally come loose.

The first thing you're going to need to do is the trim piece at the bottom, the Centre (Lower) Garnish Assembly (item #11). This piece is fastened on either side with Bumber Face Clips (item #21).

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To remove these clips, use of a tool like this helps to prevent damage during removal:

This is a body clip removal plier, part of this set of tools.

Here they are in action:

Once the bumper face clips are removed the center (lower) garnish assembly just pops free. This exposes two screws at the bottom of the Center Pocket Box Assembly (item #15) you'll need to remove.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Once these screws have been removed, open up the center pocket and remove the two screws on either side.

The center pocket box assembly will now pop out. There is, for whatever reason, a wire plugged into at the top of the assembly. Unplug this wire and set the assembly aside.

One bit of caution here is that there are two small metal Snap Fitting Clips (item #9) that hold the center pocket box assembly in place. They look like this:

During removal of the assembly these clips will probably slip off the tabs at the top of the center pocket box assembly they mounted on and stay in the slot in the dash piece they go into. If they're not clipped on here like this:

then you'll probably be seeing this instead:

If the second picture is what you see (and you probably will) the clips are up in behind these slots here on each side:

Just carefully reach up behind these slots in the dash piece and grab them, setting them aside with the six screws removed earlier.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Once the center pocket box assembly is out of the way, you'll be seeing this:

The accessory socket plugs into the wiring harness in the center of the photo.

Push the accessory socket into the hole in the dash piece and plug the wiring harness into the back of it (it only goes on one way).

Then, slide the Socket Cover (item #5) down the wire and screw it onto the rear of the accessory socket to hold everything together (this piece coming loose was what caused everything to fall apart in the first place). Make sure everything's fastened in snug.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now it's time to start putting things back together. Plug the wire back into the top of the center pocket box assembly.

Push the two snap fitting clips onto their tabs at the top of the center pocket box assembly.

Return the center pocket box assembly to its location, clipping the snap fitting clips into their slots up here:

Return the two screws at the bottom of the center pocket box assembly.

And redo the two screws at each side of the center pocket.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Return the center (lower) garnish assembly to its location. Separate the two pieces of the bumper face clips.

Push in the outer/bottom portion of the bumper face clip.

and then push in the inner/top portion of the bumper face clip.

You're done! :cool:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Exactly what I needed. I'm sure you saved me about $100 at the dealer.

You don't absolutely "need' the 'body clip removal pliers'. A small flathead screwdriver will work, too. As a relative newbie, I don't have that tool, and was hesitant to tackle this for some time.

Good tip about the 'snap fittings'.

Thank you very much, RolHammer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Is there any trick to getting the sleeve that slides on the back tight when it screws on? I've done this several times, tightened as tight as I can, but continues to come loose. Guess I can't get it tight enough (not a lot of room to get tools/hand in there to tighten).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all,

Hitting on this thread in 2013, and was hoping to see the photos at the links. Anything with 'shaw' in it has apparently been taken down, 'Error 404's' all the way. I am trying to figure out the removal of the 2 clips that retain the center lower pocket. These are the last 2 fittings holding it in place ('01 Odyssey EX) after the 6 screws are taken out.

Can anyone tell me where these clips are and how you release them? As always, the question to self is - 'How do I release without destroying?'. I am referring to page 20-67 of the 99'03 shop manual, but it is by itself insufficient detail to figure out what and where the clips are. - Grant.

·
Registered
318 Posts
See page 4 for location of clips in the lower trim below the drawer pocket: http://handa-accessories.com/odyssey/dvdives.pdf

Just pull straight back and the trim will come off; the clips may slip off the plastic tabs.

Hopefully those are the clips that you're referring to.

You'll see those clips & tabs used in the glovebox, too, when changing the cabin air filter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For some reason the pictures no longer accompany this post - are you able to repost the pictures or just send them to me?? This is exactly what I need!! Thanks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Dunno what happened to the photos, but it looks like the links got busted. I'll repost everything again. Thanks to xman66 and another member who PM'd to alert me about this. Glad to be of help to others. :coolio:

(See the OP above for details about the part numbers referenced below from the Bernardi site.) Now, here's a pic of things when I was starting - the accessory socket had totally come loose.
IMG_3939.JPG

The first thing you're going to need to do is the trim piece at the bottom, the Centre (Lower) Garnish Assembly (item #11). This piece is fastened on either side with Bumber Face Clips (item #21).

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To remove these clips, use of a tool like this helps to prevent damage during removal:
IMG_3925.JPG

This is a body clip removal plier, part of this set of tools.

Here they are in action:
IMG_3949.JPG

Once the bumper face clips are removed the center (lower) garnish assembly just pops free. This exposes two screws at the bottom of the Center Pocket Box Assembly (item #15) you'll need to remove.
IMG_3945.JPG

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Once these screws have been removed, open up the center pocket and remove the two screws on either side.
IMG_3950.JPG IMG_3951.JPG

The center pocket box assembly will now pop out. There is, for whatever reason, a wire plugged into at the top of the assembly. Unplug this wire and set the assembly aside.
IMG_3932.JPG

One bit of caution here is that there are two small metal Snap Fitting Clips (item #9) that hold the center pocket box assembly in place. They look like this:
IMG_3936.JPG

During removal of the assembly these clips will probably slip off the tabs at the top of the center pocket box assembly they mounted on and stay in the slot in the dash piece they go into. If they're not clipped on here like this:
IMG_3937.JPG

then you'll probably be seeing this instead:
IMG_3938.JPG

If the second picture is what you see (and you probably will) the clips are up in behind these slots here on each side:
IMG_3944.JPG

Just carefully reach up behind these slots in the dash piece and grab them, setting them aside with the six screws removed earlier.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Once the center pocket box assembly is out of the way, you'll be seeing this:
IMG_3926.JPG

The accessory socket plugs into the wiring harness in the center of the photo.
IMG_3940.JPG

Push the accessory socket into the hole in the dash piece and plug the wiring harness into the back of it (it only goes on one way).
IMG_3941.JPG

Then, slide the Socket Cover (item #5) down the wire and screw it onto the rear of the accessory socket to hold everything together (this piece coming loose was what caused everything to fall apart in the first place). Make sure everything's fastened in snug.
IMG_3942.JPG

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now it's time to start putting things back together. Plug the wire back into the top of the center pocket box assembly.
IMG_3932.JPG

Push the two snap fitting clips onto their tabs at the top of the center pocket box assembly.
IMG_3937.JPG

Return the center pocket box assembly to its location, clipping the snap fitting clips into their slots up here:
IMG_3944.JPG

Return the two screws at the bottom of the center pocket box assembly.
IMG_3945.JPG

And redo the two screws at each side of the center pocket.
IMG_3950.JPG IMG_3951.JPG

1 - 20 of 23 Posts