Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Jerry Maness said:
Cartman, I live in Salem, OR and do not understand the region Ody divisions. How do I get into the Northwest region Odyclub.

Thanks, ORYGUN
Jerry, these forums were created so we could discuss regional issues and not clutter the entire forum with them. There's no membership involved - you're in!

Wayne

W

·
0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: woohoo!

Lead Foot 60 said:
Wayne, I've got tools and a garage, so you could come here if its going to be just a couple of us.
The Tranny cooler is very easy, but requires taking the front bumper off (takes two due to its ungainlyness).

I have done all of the mods I'm interested in now--Fog Lights, Tranny & PS coolers, Trailer Hitch and Honda Back-up sensors.

I saw that you had a conflict this weekend. If thats the case, please let me know so re can reschedule, and maybe others could join us.
Tranny cooler is easy?!? I'd not only pay you the going mechanic's rate, I'd buy you and your family a nice steak dinner for helping me with it! To say that I'm not sure I trust the mechanics is, well, putting it pretty nicely.

I just got off the phone with the missus. It does seem like this weekend is out, with my mom's b-day on Saturday and us being the kid-taxis on Sunday. I'd seriously hate to take up anyone's precious weekend hours modding someone else's car, but I'm not sure I have the confidence to do it myself.

Isn't the auto show coming up soon?

Wayne

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks very much Wayne. I am retired and spend my summers here in Oregon, but when the rains begin, we head South to our home in the Palm Springs area. I guess I will have to deal with the Southern Cal bunch in the Winters.

W

·
0 Posts
Jerry Maness said:
Thanks very much Wayne. I am retired and spend my summers here in Oregon, but when the rains begin, we head South to our home in the Palm Springs area. I guess I will have to deal with the Southern Cal bunch in the Winters.
Lucky you, both for being a snowbird (or whatever it is that people are called who migrate south for the winter) and for being able to take part in two forums.

It's hard to beat summers in Washington and Oregon. Nice and usually dry, not too hot, and long days. I can't imagine why people would live here and take their vacations during the summer!

Wayne

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wayne, We feel very fortunate to be able to spend our retirement enjoying the best weather in both states. Our 2004 EX-L in Sandstone metalic is due The first week of October. We can hardly wait. We sold my 2001 pontiac Grand Prix and my wife's 1999 Buick Regal and will make due with the new Ody, a Golf Cart and my 1993 Heritige Softtail. Our first minivan.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: woohoo!

Wayne Lim said:
Tranny cooler is easy?!? I'd not only pay you the going mechanic's rate, I'd buy you and your family a nice steak dinner for helping me with it! To say that I'm not sure I trust the mechanics is, well, putting it pretty nicely.

I just got off the phone with the missus. It does seem like this weekend is out, with my mom's b-day on Saturday and us being the kid-taxis on Sunday. I'd seriously hate to take up anyone's precious weekend hours modding someone else's car, but I'm not sure I have the confidence to do it myself.

Isn't the auto show coming up soon?

Wayne
Wayne,

I too am retired. The tranny cooler is a snap, really. I put a Honda one in a couple months ago along with the Trailer hitch...no problem. What brand do you have?

If not this weekend, may have to wait for a couple of weeks. When you see how easy it is, you'll rethink your Steak dinner offer; I would. :)

Lets stay in touch, and we'll get the Tranny cooler in in mid October or so, shouldn't take more than a couple of hours at most, unless there are parts missing.

W

·
0 Posts
Jerry Maness said:
Wayne, We feel very fortunate to be able to spend our retirement enjoying the best weather in both states. Our 2004 EX-L in Sandstone metalic is due The first week of October. We can hardly wait. We sold my 2001 pontiac Grand Prix and my wife's 1999 Buick Regal and will make due with the new Ody, a Golf Cart and my 1993 Heritige Softtail. Our first minivan.
I'm envious and glad that you get to enjoy your retirement living in two great areas. I think you'll probably end up not missing either car very much at all. My wife prefers to drive the Ody more, as it keeps her up near the same height level as most of the other traffic, and without giving up a well handling vehicle.

Wayne

W

·
0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: woohoo!

Lead Foot 60 said:
Wayne,

I too am retired. The tranny cooler is a snap, really. I put a Honda one in a couple months ago along with the Trailer hitch...no problem. What brand do you have?

If not this weekend, may have to wait for a couple of weeks. When you see how easy it is, you'll rethink your Steak dinner offer; I would. :)

Lets stay in touch, and we'll get the Tranny cooler in in mid October or so, shouldn't take more than a couple of hours at most, unless there are parts missing.
I don't have one yet, and I'm still kind of trying to decide what to buy. I guess there's no issue with buying the Honda one should we ever have to use our Hondacare warranty. I've read here that the Honda cooler seems pretty small in capacity, but our tranny fluid at 15k seemed to be in pretty good shape despite several road trips, including one into the mountains with a full load and during the summer.

I don't know - I'm probably a lot more klutzy than you imagine. Even though I've torn apart engines and trannies in my youth, somehow managing to get them back together and running despite usually ending up with a small stash of nuts and bolts which apparently weren't needed, I'm just not as adventurous with body parts like needing to take off the bumper.

Well, like I said, if we can swing it, I'd owe you way more than just a steak dinner!

Wayne

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey, Jerry, when I move out there in a month or so --
to a rural property halfway between Sublimity and
Silverton, we could secede from the Seattlites and
start a "Southern Northwestern Regional Group",
huh? Maybe have a confederate flag incorporated
into our seal.

Oh, well...never mind.....

Jerry Maness said:
Cartman, I live in Salem, OR and do not understand the region Ody divisions. How do I get into the Northwest region Odyclub.

Thanks, ORYGUN

·
Registered
180 Posts
Job? What's that?

Naw, I'm retired. Jerry and I are just gonna sit on our rocking chairs on the porch and talk Odysseys or something.

Back in the 80s, Llama was an interior color on some BMWs -- so there might one another site out there...

Jim F said:
Wow! Big move. Job?

You know, I think this is the only automotive website that has "llama" in the keywords. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Larry, that sounds good and the area you are moving to is very nice. I play golf three times a week at a Santiam Golf Course in Stayton and will probably ride my Harley past your spread next Summer. You won't get homesick because this area looks alot like Maryland except for the mountains.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: woohoo!

Wayne Lim said:
I don't have one yet, and I'm still kind of trying to decide what to buy. I guess there's no issue with buying the Honda one should we ever have to use our Hondacare warranty. I've read here that the Honda cooler seems pretty small in capacity, but our tranny fluid at 15k seemed to be in pretty good shape despite several road trips, including one into the mountains with a full load and during the summer.

I don't know - I'm probably a lot more klutzy than you imagine. Even though I've torn apart engines and trannies in my youth, somehow managing to get them back together and running despite usually ending up with a small stash of nuts and bolts which apparently weren't needed, I'm just not as adventurous with body parts like needing to take off the bumper.

Well, like I said, if we can swing it, I'd owe you way more than just a steak dinner!

Wayne
Wayne,

I installed the Honda cooler as a part of the full Trailer Hitch pkg. I bought that along with the Rear Sensor Pkg from HondaParts4You. Aimee was VERY good to work with and I can't say enough good about her. Their prices are pretty good, and they will match other prices for Honda parts too. Their web site is : http://hondaparts4you.com

If you decide on another brand of cooler, it shouldn't be hard to install if they provide all of the parts to complete the job.

I expect to have time in mid October. Keep in touch and we'll do it. BTW, why are thinking of installing only a Tranny cooler?

W

·
0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: woohoo!

Lead Foot 60 said:
Wayne,

I installed the Honda cooler as a part of the full Trailer Hitch pkg. I bought that along with the Rear Sensor Pkg from HondaParts4You. Aimee was VERY good to work with and I can't say enough good about her. Their prices are pretty good, and they will match other prices for Honda parts too. Their web site is : http://hondaparts4you.com

If you decide on another brand of cooler, it shouldn't be hard to install if they provide all of the parts to complete the job.

I expect to have time in mid October. Keep in touch and we'll do it. BTW, why are thinking of installing only a Tranny cooler?
I guess I was saying tranny cooler, but I mean both the tranny and power steering cooler combo. I think that's the requirement from Honda in order to have a hitch, correct?

Say, since you're close by, I posted a question here and don't think I ever got any direct response. When you're driving up a slight freeway incline and you gradually increase the throttle, does your tranny unlock all at once, or does the engine speed gradually increase?

For instance, if I'm driving 520 eastbound as it goes from 130th up past 148th, the torque converter will be locked at about 1700 RPMs. If I very slowly tip into the throttle, it'll creep up to 1800, then 1900, then 2000, and so on, until it hits about 2300 RPMs, which is where it seems to want to run at about 65 MPH fully unlocked.

If I give it the throttle a firm push, it'll unlock instantly and the engine speed will go directly from 1700 RPMs right to 2300 RPMs.

I've just never seen a torque converter gradually unlock. I would think this would be bad for the clutches.

What does yours do?

Thanks, and I'll keep mid-October in mind. It'll give the steaks some time to age!

Wayne

·
Registered
304 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: woohoo!

Wayne Lim said:
I guess I was saying tranny cooler, but I mean both the tranny and power steering cooler combo. I think that's the requirement from Honda in order to have a hitch, correct?

Say, since you're close by, I posted a question here and don't think I ever got any direct response. When you're driving up a slight freeway incline and you gradually increase the throttle, does your tranny unlock all at once, or does the engine speed gradually increase?

For instance, if I'm driving 520 eastbound as it goes from 130th up past 148th, the torque converter will be locked at about 1700 RPMs. If I very slowly tip into the throttle, it'll creep up to 1800, then 1900, then 2000, and so on, until it hits about 2300 RPMs, which is where it seems to want to run at about 65 MPH fully unlocked.

If I give it the throttle a firm push, it'll unlock instantly and the engine speed will go directly from 1700 RPMs right to 2300 RPMs.

I've just never seen a torque converter gradually unlock. I would think this would be bad for the clutches.

What does yours do?

Thanks, and I'll keep mid-October in mind. It'll give the steaks some time to age!

Wayne
Wayne,

Did you or are you planning on insatlling a Trailer Hitch? If so, you can get the whole Honda pkg for a better package price.

Since the Honda Hitch install requires removing both the front and rear bumpers, I also did the Rear Sensors and Fog Lights at the same time. In any case, not a problem.

As for the torque converter issue, I haven't paid any attention. Since you are sensitive to it, we can check that out on both our Odys whe we get together.:)

W

·
0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: woohoo!

Lead Foot 60 said:
Wayne,

Did you or are you planning on insatlling a Trailer Hitch? If so, you can get the whole Honda pkg for a better package price.

Since the Honda Hitch install requires removing both the front and rear bumpers, I also did the Rear Sensors and Fog Lights at the same time. In any case, not a problem.

As for the torque converter issue, I haven't paid any attention. Since you are sensitive to it, we can check that out on both our Odys whe we get together.:)
I bought a Hidden Hitch from Mann's in Bellevue. I got it installed in 20 minutes for something like $130 all together. I figure, though, that since we drive pretty hard and/or with heavy loads quite often, I want to make sure I won't be denied warranty coverage on the tranny should it fail.

The fog lights sound interesting. I might do that too, but I don't want to keep you all day working on our Ody! That's not so fun for you!

Wayne

·
Registered
304 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: woohoo!

Wayne Lim said:
I bought a Hidden Hitch from Mann's in Bellevue. I got it installed in 20 minutes for something like $130 all together. I figure, though, that since we drive pretty hard and/or with heavy loads quite often, I want to make sure I won't be denied warranty coverage on the tranny should it fail.

The fog lights sound interesting. I might do that too, but I don't want to keep you all day working on our Ody! That's not so fun for you!

Wayne
WE paid about $430 for the total Honda Hitch package, as I remember. This included the PS & Tranny coolers. Be glad to help with those.

The fog lights took more time, but weren't hard. The time comsuming stuff was mostly cutting the front bumper to take the square fog lights. I used a scroll saw to do the bulk of the cutting, and then went to a wood rasp to finish the rough opening work. Before I put in the interior wiring, I modified the wiring harness to allow the fog lights to be on whenever the parking or headlights are on. Works well. Instructions are pretty clear, and the helps from previous installers on this site were excellent.

W

·
0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: woohoo!

Lead Foot 60 said:
WE paid about $430 for the total Honda Hitch package, as I remember. This included the PS & Tranny coolers. Be glad to help with those.

The fog lights took more time, but weren't hard. The time comsuming stuff was mostly cutting the front bumper to take the square fog lights. I used a scroll saw to do the bulk of the cutting, and then went to a wood rasp to finish the rough opening work. Before I put in the interior wiring, I modified the wiring harness to allow the fog lights to be on whenever the parking or headlights are on. Works well. Instructions are pretty clear, and the helps from previous installers on this site were excellent.
I remember asking when we purchased our Ody what it would cost to get a hitch and the coolers installed and was told it was somewhere in the several hundreds, nearly a thousand. After having to buy our Ody with little notice, then having to pay $800 over MSRP, I declined.

Thanks again for your kind offer! I'm looking forward to mid-October! :D

Wayne

·
Registered
97 Posts
So there are like 90 zillion Ody's in this area. The dealers can get MSRP regularly and yet this NW forum is dead action.

Wake up, folks.

Oh maybe I answered my own question,

·
Registered
289 Posts
Oily Pablo said:
So there are like 90 zillion Ody's in this area. The dealers can get MSRP regularly and yet this NW forum is dead action.

Wake up, folks.

Oh maybe I answered my own question,
I'm hopefully going to be back more consistently after a busy period, but with the weather as lousy as it has been the last couple of weeks, it's hard to have any sort of gathering.

I have a second generation Ody and the rear shocks on these are a weak point. Any owners interested in doing a group buy/install to the Monroe Reflex?

21 - 40 of 54 Posts