Honda Odyssey Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
WLim said:
I'm hopefully going to be back more consistently after a busy period, but with the weather as lousy as it has been the last couple of weeks, it's hard to have any sort of gathering.

I have a second generation Ody and the rear shocks on these are a weak point. Any owners interested in doing a group buy/install to the Monroe Reflex?
Why the Monroe's? I haven't looked at new shocks yet, but I have a set of Airlifts in the shop ready to go in as soon as I feel like doing the install.

Wayne, I would like to see how they ran the hoses on your AirLifts if that is possible one of these days.:)

Thanks

·
Registered
289 Posts
Lead Foot 60 said:
Why the Monroe's? I haven't looked at new shocks yet, but I have a set of Airlifts in the shop ready to go in as soon as I feel like doing the install.

Wayne, I would like to see how they ran the hoses on your AirLifts if that is possible one of these days.:)

Thanks
Hi! How's it going? I've been wondering how you've been doing. If I recall, your daughter was looking for an Odyssey and I don't remember if she actually got an '05, got yours, or got a Sienna. Maybe I'm just all confused!

The Monroe's apparently offer the greatest dampening, moreso than the KYB, which are slightly better than OEM. Since I usually run the airlift bags at about 30 PSI, if a bump compresses them, they rebound with a high spring rate and overpower the shocks. I wanted to go with the highest dampening capability without going custom, like Radar Eclipse did.

Hmm, let's find a dry'ish weekend and see if we can get together for a mini-meet. Have you seen our van with the H&R springs yet?

BTW, we're right now in the planning stages of a 3500 mile, Seattle-Silverwood-Yellowstone-Grand Canyon-San Diego-Magic Mountain-Yosemite-Seattle three week road trip this August, and probably a few other quick blasts up and down the coast as well. That's the real hurry in getting the new shocks.

·
Registered
304 Posts
WLim said:
Hi! How's it going? I've been wondering how you've been doing. If I recall, your daughter was looking for an Odyssey and I don't remember if she actually got an '05, got yours, or got a Sienna. Maybe I'm just all confused!
She looked long and hard at the Odyssey, but found the driver's seat uncomfortable and the steering too far away. My wife and I were interested in the new Ody too, but also found the same problems as our daughter. So we still have our '02 Ody. Our daughter finally went with the Volvo SUV, V8; did the Overseas Delivery as we did and loves her new car. It is very nice, BTW.

Love to get together one of these days, but I will probably go ahead to install the AirLifts sooner rather than later...just turn the garage heater on:)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Lead Foot 60 said:
She looked long and hard at the Odyssey, but found the driver's seat uncomfortable and the steering too far away. My wife and I were interested in the new Ody too, but also found the same problems as our daughter. So we still have our '02 Ody. Our daughter finally went with the Volvo SUV, V8; did the Overseas Delivery as we did and loves her new car. It is very nice, BTW.

Love to get together one of these days, but I will probably go ahead to install the AirLifts sooner rather than later...just turn the garage heater on:)
Uhh, well, as far as how I ran the airlift tubing, it's highly beneficial to run separate lines. That way, you can adjust it independently from side to side, and there's no flow of pressure from one side to the other like when cornering, so you'll get the benefits of an anti-roll bar as well.

I snaked the tubing around the suspension components to the left rear just behind the bumper. I got some 1" wide metal strapping with the holes punched in it every inch or so. I cut about an eight inch length, bent it into a square "L" shape. I drilled one of the holes larger and screwed it to the car using one of the trailer hitch bolts. Then, I took a 4" piece and bolted it to the piece hanging down. The schraeder valves fit perfectly in the precut holes.

I also went to Napa and got about 20 feet of split-loom housing and enclosed all of the airlines, securing it with zip ties every foot or so.

It's been a couple of years and I've had zero problems.

Good luck with your install!

·
Registered
304 Posts
WLim said:
Uhh, well, as far as how I ran the airlift tubing, it's highly beneficial to run separate lines. That way, you can adjust it independently from side to side, and there's no flow of pressure from one side to the other like when cornering, so you'll get the benefits of an anti-roll bar as well.

I snaked the tubing around the suspension components to the left rear just behind the bumper. I got some 1" wide metal strapping with the holes punched in it every inch or so. I cut about an eight inch length, bent it into a square "L" shape. I drilled one of the holes larger and screwed it to the car using one of the trailer hitch bolts. Then, I took a 4" piece and bolted it to the piece hanging down. The schraeder valves fit perfectly in the precut holes.

I also went to Napa and got about 20 feet of split-loom housing and enclosed all of the airlines, securing it with zip ties every foot or so.

It's been a couple of years and I've had zero problems.

Good luck with your install!
If possible, I would really like to see your install so I don't have to reinvent the wheel, so to speak.

And, what is "split loom housing?"

·
Registered
289 Posts
Sure! This weekend is bad, but next weekend might be doable if it's early in the a.m.

Split loom housing is a hard'ish plastic that is ribbed circumferentially and then cut open. The hardness of the plastic helps it to retain its shape, so you can push something like a wire or an airline hose inside and it closes back up on itself. The wire/airline is inside the plastic and is protected.

I think it comes in six foot lengths and is probably about $4 per pack. I used three full and a part of a 4th pack to enclose all of the airline tubing.

Here's a link to some of the product:

http://www.wiringproducts.com/?target=dept_90.html

·
Registered
304 Posts
Either day (14th or 15th) works for me; just tell me the time, and your place or mine?

Also, I saw they had both regular and high temperature split loom. Which should I get, what size (1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8 0r?) and how many feet, 25?

Looking forward to getting this completed. :)

Many thanks. :cool:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Lead Foot, let me get a little closer to that weekend. With two very active kids, I never know from one day to another, never mind two weekends from now. Since I already know the way to your place, I don't mind the nice drive out there, if that's okay with you.

Let me go dig in the garage and see if I can find what I used. I think it's probably 1/2 inch, and I used a zip tie every foot or so to really snug it down. I definitely got the black - once you get a little road grime on it you can barely see it even if you're looking for it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
WLim said:
Lead Foot, let me get a little closer to that weekend.
That is fine; I've blocked both mornings that weekend, just in case.

WLim said:
Since I already know the way to your place, I don't mind the nice drive out there, if that's okay with you.

Let me go dig in the garage and see if I can find what I used. I think it's probably 1/2 inch, and I used a zip tie every foot or so to really snug it down. I definitely got the black - once you get a little road grime on it you can barely see it even if you're looking for it.
Thanks, Once I know if it is 1/2 inch, I'll order 25 feet of it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Leadfoot, I can find any of it, but by looking, it sure does look like half-inch. What you can do to make sure is to take a snip of the airline tubing, which is practically the same diameter as the air tubing for an aquarium, and try it against the various sizes of split loom housing.

Good luck!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I measured the airline and it is 1/4 " in diameter. I would think that 3/8 size would be fine unless it is necessary to run 2 pieces of the tubing in one of the split looms.

I am inclined to simply buy 25' of the 3/8" split loom and be done with it.

Will that be a problem?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Lead Foot 60 said:
I measured the airline and it is 1/4 " in diameter. I would think that 3/8 size would be fine unless it is necessary to run 2 pieces of the tubing in one of the split looms.

I am inclined to simply buy 25' of the 3/8" split loom and be done with it.

Will that be a problem?
I don't think so. I zip-tied every foot or so and the edges overlapped where the ties were. I guess as long as the opening fully closes, you should be good.

What a wet weekend in store for us! It's looking like Saturday morning might be better. Would that work for you? I have to be home by about 10:30 a.m.

·
Registered
304 Posts
WLim said:
I don't think so. I zip-tied every foot or so and the edges overlapped where the ties were. I guess as long as the opening fully closes, you should be good.

What a wet weekend in store for us! It's looking like Saturday morning might be better. Would that work for you? I have to be home by about 10:30 a.m.
I can heat the garage so we won't be too cold.

I bought 20' (one piece) of 1/4 split loom yesterday; the airline is only about 15' long in total. That should be fine unless we need to run two lines in one loom. I have plenty of zip ties so we should be good there.

If you have to be home by 10:30 am, that doesn't leave much time unless we start really early. How early were you thinking of starting? Or is Sunday an option?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Lead Foot 60 said:
I can heat the garage so we won't be too cold.

I bought 20' (one piece) of 1/4 split loom yesterday; the airline is only about 15' long in total. That should be fine unless we need to run two lines in one loom. I have plenty of zip ties so we should be good there.

If you have to be home by 10:30 am, that doesn't leave much time unless we start really early. How early were you thinking of starting? Or is Sunday an option?
Unfortunately, my life is not my own, and Sunday is already booked. The following weekend is booked, as is the weekend after that. I have a few hours this Saturday, from about 8 a.m. until I have to be hope at 10:30 a.m. Maybe if you get a little bit of a start on drilling the spring perches, we can get a large majority of it done.

I thought when our kids grew up and we were able to leave them home alone that life would be better. Well, we can leave them at home alone with absolutely no worries, but the problem is they're rarely home. Between homework at friends' houses, sports activities, and just about everything else that can come up, we might as well just be a taxi service.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts