Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could desperately use some technical help.

I wanted to have a cassette player to go along with my in-dash CD player instead of another CD slot. I asked the dealer if I would be getting a unit with fewer capabilities if we switched out the EX radio for the LX and was told there wouldn't be a problem. I even agreed to pay $200 for the switch, silly me. Well, guess what - now that I've got the van, I noticed that the remote volume/channel controls on the steering wheel do not work and I suspect from reading the manual in detail that I also do not have the anti-theft capability.

I recall reading posts about a mod where someone with an LX added the audio controls on the steering wheel. Is there a way I can have the cassette player and make these controls work? What about the anti-theft capability?
Any thoughts would be much appreciated. I asked the dealer several days ago and still don't have an answer.

I think it is pathetic that the dealers don't know the specifications of their own products so that a consumer can truly make an informed decision about their purchases. If he had told me what I would be missing by making this change, I might not have done it.

------------------
vangirl

'01 SS EX with i-VES, Kelton Subwoofer, trailer hitch, cross bars, LX radio/cassette, in-dash CD changer, fog lights, cargo tray

'00 New Formula Red S2000
'00 Flamenco Black Pearl Civic EX

[This message has been edited by vangirl (edited 08-15-2001).]

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hi Vangirl,

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vangirl:
Could desperately use some technical help.

I wanted to have a cassette player to go along with my in-dash CD player instead of another CD slot. I asked the dealer if I would be getting a unit with fewer capabilities if we switched out the EX radio for the LX and was told there wouldn't be a problem. I even agreed to pay $200 for the switch, silly me. Well, guess what - now that I've got the van, I noticed that the remote volume/channel controls on the steering wheel do not work and I suspect from reading the manual in detail that I also do not have the anti-theft capability.
</font>
The AM/FM Cassette that comes in the LX doesn't have remote capability. That's one feature you gave up when got rid of the EX's AM/FM/CD. Personally, I would have stayed with the original radio and added the cassette player under that. As for the anti-theft feature, the LX's AM/FM cassette doesn't have this. I've installed a number of accessories that required removing a battery cable prior to working with the wiring and the radio worked fine afterwords with no extra effort from me other than to reprogram the radio stations.

No offense intended but if you paid the dealer $200 to swap radio's, they took you to the cleaners.
That job can be done in less than 30 minutes with no problems at all.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> I recall reading posts about a mod where someone with an LX added the audio controls on the steering wheel. Is there a way I can have the cassette player and make these controls work? What about the anti-theft capability?
Any thoughts would be much appreciated. I asked the dealer several days ago and still don't have an answer.
</font>
If there's something on the forum about adding the remote control features to the LX's AM/FM Cassette, I've not seen it. As I said above, to my knowledge, that radio doesn't have that capability and I know it doesn't have the anti-theft feature. The positive side of that is the fact that cassette players are generally on the way out in terms of technology and the stock Honda radios aren't exactly known for their overwhelming sound quality. As a result, it's not exactly in high demand by theives.

As for the dealer not responding to you. I'm not surprised. They know they took you on this one and anything they could say on the subject would either be an outright lie or an admission of the truth, neither of which would be high on their list of things to do.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> I think it is pathetic that the dealers don't know the specifications of their own products so that a consumer can truly make an informed decision about their purchases. If he had told me what I would be missing by making this change, I might not have done it. </font>
Agreed! If you were working through the sales department then I'm not surprised by this at all. I have yet to meet a saleman that knew the car as well as I did by the time I took delivery of it. OTOH, they have to keep track of everything they sell and that may include more than one brand of vehicle. I'm only interested in one. They should have been able to confirm for you the presence or lack there of, of the anti-theft feature and considering the LX doesn't have the remote controls on the steering wheel, it's reasonable to assume that the radio doesn't support this feature either although that may not be a given. Either way, they should have been able to confirm all of this before you put down the money.

FWIW,
Drive Safe,
Steve

[This message has been edited by Intrepid175 (edited 08-16-2001).]

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hachiroku:

Here's the link to the remote discussion:
http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000138.html

</font>
Oh yeah! Now I remember. It say's a lot for the ol memory, doesn't it. I even posted a couple of times in that one.

Only problem I have with this is that everyone is talking about how it "might" be done but no one appears to have actually tried it yet. There are still questions as to whether or not the LX's radio is even capable of remote operation.

FWIW,
Drive Safe,
Steve

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I knew I was getting taken on the $200 - but I really wanted a cassette and the in-dash changer so made this foolish last minute decision. (I'm a singer and many accompanient tapes for rehearsal are unfortunately not on CD's yet.) I did ask the right question of the dealer and if they knew their jobs they would have steered me in the right direction, but live and learn I guess.

My problem now is what to do about it. You're right about the anti-theft thing - who would want that radio except me? It just angers me there is a second missing capability the dealer did not inform me of. The remote capability is something worthwhile, however. I found this link -

http://www.peripheral-aamp.com/periph_products/steering_interface.htm

but I'm not sure if this is what I need and how it would be installed. Could I go to a car stereo shop to get it put in?

I know I am dense about all these things and I really appreciate the kind help.

------------------
vangirl

'01 SS EX with i-VES, Kelton Subwoofer, trailer hitch, cross bars, LX radio/cassette, in-dash CD changer, fog lights, cargo tray

[This message has been edited by vangirl (edited 08-16-2001).]

·
1,484 Posts
That link that you posted is a device that works w/ headunits that have wireless (infrared) remote controls. Now since the LX radio doesn't have a wireless remote control - this product will not work. Sorry

-Nestor

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by my_2001ody:
I would have gone the same way if I had the LX instead of the EX with the single CD player. I wanted both a cassette player and a 6 disk CD player and didn't really want it under the seat. I found a guy that wanted a different radio in his 01 Accord EX so I bought his unit.
</font>
vangirl,
Based on this quote I pulled above from the LX remote upgrade thread, it appears that one option is to find an '01 EX Accord cassette deck to replace your LX Ody deck. It has the steering wheel control input. Perhaps my_2001ody can confirm for sure. This seems the most reasonable approach, and you could probably find this deck pretty cheap on ebay or something...

I have a '99 Accord tape deck from my LX, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have steering wheel remote capability. (LX has no steering wheel control buttons) I'll see if I can take a look tonight, and if it does, I'll gladly sell it to you cheap.

Good Luck,
SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Super Moderator
13,781 Posts
You know,

I was going to ask this same question. I bought a 01' Accord LX-V6 which I am picking up today and I also bought 2 01 Accord EX stereos which are on the UPS trucks to be delivered as I speak. Can I add the steering wheel mounted controls to these systems and how? BTW that pic that hachiroku has kind a looks scary. Looks like we need to remove the driver side airbag ???

How much am I looking at if I want one of those controls anyways?

·
Registered
182 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shinjohn:
vangirl,
Based on this quote I pulled above from the LX remote upgrade thread, it appears that one option is to find an '01 EX Accord cassette deck to replace your LX Ody deck. It has the steering wheel control input. Perhaps my_2001ody can confirm for sure. This seems the most reasonable approach, and you could probably find this deck pretty cheap on ebay or something...
</font>
The unit I put in my Ody EX is an AM/FM/cassette/6-disc changer which takes up the full double din area. It has the steering wheel control. Also, the lighting for the radio matches the rest of the dash lighting. I've only seen a couple on eBay, and the dealer price is high.

------------------
Lanny
2K1 EX MB

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by piyush:
You know,

I was going to ask this same question. I bought a 01' Accord LX-V6 which I am picking up today and I also bought 2 01 Accord EX stereos which are on the UPS trucks to be delivered as I speak. Can I add the steering wheel mounted controls to these systems and how? BTW that pic that hachiroku has kind a looks scary. Looks like we need to remove the driver side airbag ???

How much am I looking at if I want one of those controls anyways?
</font>

Head over to Honda Automotive Parts Online Parts. Fill out the info for a 2001 EX V6.

Looks like you would need part #'s 2, 20, and pair of 15, 16. I would suggest purchasing these parts at www.handa-accessories.com (have better prices).

But please be aware that there are two wheel hubs for the Accord. The controls from a 01 2door EX V6 might fit on a 01 LX V6. Don't know for sure. Here's how the two different hubs look. My guess is it would - but you be the judge: http://nemogira.com/odyssey/hubs.jpg

-Nestor

[This message has been edited by nemogira (edited 08-16-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Thanks my_2001ody.
I wasn't sure. Yeah, I checked my Accord manual and the web, and found out the only steering wheel controllable unit for the Accord is the one you bought (double DIN unit).
My '99 Accord AM/FM/cassette does NOT have control inputs, and to my knowledge, none of the 1 DIN Honda AM/FM/cassette units have that capability. Sorry vangirl.
-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
shinjohn, are you saying that if I replaced my head unit with the 2001 Accord EX radio/cassette head unit that my steering wheel controls would work? Do you know if I would lose any other capabilities I currently have by making this change? I'm also curious if that unit has anti-theft capability. Thanks much for the help.

------------------
vangirl

[This message has been edited by vangirl (edited 08-17-2001).]

·
Registered
182 Posts
shinjohn, are you saying that if I replaced my head unit with the 2001 Accord EX radio/cassette head unit that my steering wheel controls would work? Do you know if I would lose any other capabilities I currently have by making this change? I'm also curious if that unit has anti-theft capability. Thanks much for the help.
</font>
I hope shinjohn doesn't mind me answering your question. Yes, if you use the Accord EX radio with the cassette and 6-disc changer, it will work with your Ody EX steering wheel controls. All you lose is the storage compartment under the single DIN radio. The Accord radio fits the double DIN opening like it was made for it. And, yes, it has the same anti-theft capability as the original radio. If you buy a used one make sure the code card comes with it.

------------------
Lanny
2K1 EX MB

·
Super Moderator
13,781 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by my_2001ody:
I hope shinjohn doesn't mind me answering your question. Yes, if you use the Accord EX radio with the cassette and 6-disc changer, it will work with your Ody EX steering wheel controls. All you lose is the storage compartment under the single DIN radio. The Accord radio fits the double DIN opening like it was made for it. And, yes, it has the same anti-theft capability as the original radio. If you buy a used one make sure the code card comes with it.
</font>
my_2001ody is correct. Those radios are difficult to obtain and have a ridiculous price at the dealer ($1442 with the tax here). The only problem that my_2001ody has not mentioned is that the two brakets that go on the sides of the stereo are different for the accord and the ody (atleast for the LX). You shouldn't have a problem though as you can always use the ones that are on your stereo right now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the great info. As usual, I am in awe at the wealth of information the people on this site have. Can I be an ody mod god groupie?

Why would the Accord cassette head unit cost so much from a dealer? Guess it must be simple supply and demand. I did try searching for one at H and A, partscheap and hondaautomotive but had no success.

------------------
vangirl

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just my $.02, but I'd be in the middle of the showroom floor Saturday about 1:00 screaming at the sales manager about how you got taken on this deal, both on the $$ and the fact that you didn't get what they led you to believe. I'd demand that they reinstall an EX AM/FM/CD and that they add on the cassette player at no additional charge to you - that's exactly what they should have done in the first place. It's amazing what making a stink in the middle of a showroom floor crowded with shoppers can do for customer service. Oh, and get their commitment to do whatever they will do in writing. Another alternative would be to seek an appointment with the sales manager and explain what happened, why you're not satisfied, and your expectations as to what will make you satisfied. A followup letter to the sales manager cc to the owner should help. They already made a small mint on your Ody purchase (they do on every Ody) so they should be accomodating in getting this settled to your satisfaction. Then again, Honda dealers don't usually rate very highly in the JD Powers surveys, do they?

Good luck,

Scott

·
Registered
342 Posts
Why would the Accord cassette head unit cost so much from a dealer? Guess it must be simple supply and demand.</font>
I used to work for a Ford dealer many years ago. Ford's attitude back then was, for retail customers, stick them for everything you can get!!!

Dealer prices have always been "way" above what you can get at most other places. I had a guy come in for a heater control valve and he went ballistic when he saw the price I had to charge. He stated he could get the part for less than half that at the local NAPA store. I then showed him my pricing manual that listed my "dealer" cost higher than what he said he would pay elsewhere and then asked him why he was even talking to me. I understood his position but I wasn't given much of a choice either.

Bottom line, dealers charge what they charge because "they can!"

FWIW,
Drive Safe,
Steve

·
Registered
182 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by piyush:
The only problem that my_2001ody has not mentioned is that the two brakets that go on the sides of the stereo are different for the accord and the ody (atleast for the LX). You shouldn't have a problem though as you can always use the ones that are on your stereo right now.</font>
Yes, I forgot about that, but my Accord radio didn't come with the brackets as the former owner kept them for his replacement radio. I transfered the brackets from the radio I took out.

Hondaautomotiveparts.com shows the Accord radio with a list price of $1162.10 and wholesale $871.57. The brackets are $.80/.60 each.

Did the dealer keep the EX radio they took out? From your original post it sounds like you have the LX radio and the 6disc indash changer. If you bought the changer and also paid $200 for the LX radio, maybe, as pigeon suggested, you should complain to the dealer about the radio not working as expected. If they would take back the changer and the LX radio, you may have close to the cost of the Accord radio.? Get your EX radio back and sell it too. My 2 cents.

------------------
Lanny
2K1 EX MB

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Thanks everyone for all the input...

Just one more comment:
Probably the reason the Accord EX combo radio is so expensive is because of supply chain/availability issues. Basically, dealers and part suppliers stock these parts primarily for warranty returns, repairs, etc.... This particular radio is not available as an "add on" or "upgrade" option for DX or LX Accords, it's just provided as standard equipment on the EX models. So, nobody really buys this unit outright, unless they REALLY want this particular radio and are willing to pay top dollar for it.
Call it supply and demand, with a little Honda "marketing strategy" influence, I guess.

-SJ

p.s.- I totally agree with others about going back to the dealership and demanding better customer service. Your strategy however depends on your personality, and also what you actually bought from the dealer. If you (like many of us) got your accessories at H and A, then you don't have alot of leverage except that the radio sucks. I would recommend that if that is what happened, demand that you get back your EX CD radio, with a refund for the $200 you paid. Then you can entertain other options such as the add on cassette, other Honda options, or (my suggession) go to the aftermarket. Let us know what happens....

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I guess we are on the same wavelength here because I called the dealer up on Friday morning and told him I expected him to make this right. He claims they have no responsibility because I am the one who chose to put in the LX radio. I told him I asked him if I would be getting a lesser radio if we substituted the LX radio and he called me back the next day and told me it would work. From reading the sales brochure, the only specific question I figured out to ask was would the radio work with the 6 speakers the EX had compared to the 4 in the EX. In my view, they have an obligation to know the capabilities of their product line and should have informed me that if I made this change I would lose some of the functionality of my EX. I told him I have no access to the specs on these radios and had to rely on him for the proper information to make a good decision. It took me five minutes with the actual manual to realize I didn't have the anti-theft capability and obviously, they didn't check to ensure the steering controls worked as part of their vehicle prep. So he now is going to check with his manager and get back to me. We'll see what if anything they will do.

I did pay $200 extra for the LX unit and did not get my EX unit back. Just look at the all the toys I bought for this vehicle and paid them premium prices to install. They made more than a pretty penny on me! At minimum, I want my EX unit back and a $200 refund. What's really funny is they actually gave me the anti-theft ID card. They either are totally clueless about their own products (my best guess) or wanted me to think I was still getting this capability.

Bottomline, I should have asked this board the question before I made the foolish decision.
I certainly should not have relied on anything the dealer says. I do know better than this, but in the heat of the buying moment, we sometimes lose our good sense.

I want to give them the benefit of the doubt and every opportunity to make this right. If they don't, though, I will go to the ends of the earth to make things miserable for them because I think they handled this aspect of my purchase very unprofessionally. My ideas so far are complaining to Honda (not sure that will do any good) and taking them to small claims court. Any other ideas are welcome.

Thanks so much for all the good advice.

------------------
vangirl

[This message has been edited by vangirl (edited 08-18-2001).]

[This message has been edited by vangirl (edited 08-18-2001).]

1 - 20 of 40 Posts