Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed a remote auto-starter in there ODY? Does it affect your warranty with Honda (i.e.void electrical components warranty)?

THKS...

·
Registered
73 Posts
I put one in my 02 Ody as part of a Viper security system. From what I've read, as long as it is installed by an authorized dealer it should not affect your warranty. In a very cold area, you can set it up to start the car every couple of hours running for 10 or 15 min. each time. I use mine to cool down the car for a few min. before I get in. It's nice not to have to go outside in the cold to start the car also.

·
Registered
318 Posts
As long as you do not have to go in for warranty service.

Some Honda Dealers are quite picky about this, especially when they did not make any money on this remote start by contracting it out to a glass shop in your area which usually do a piss poor job.

I had some EGR Valve troubles on my 2000 Ody EX.

The first 3 visit they where blaming the Alarm/Remote Start (Viper 550HF) because it was connected to the RPM wire.

I had to disconnect the wire and show up when the problem re-appeared before they would even consider troubleshooting the problem.

Would you believe it took 6 visit to the dealer to have the EGR finally replaced.

I have since replace the 2000 with a 2003EX that I purchased from another dealer but not before I had a meeting with the service manager & told him what I expected from them as far as service.

Best regards

RobertC

zorba said:
I put one in my 02 Ody as part of a Viper security system. From what I've read, as long as it is installed by an authorized dealer it should not affect your warranty. In a very cold area, you can set it up to start the car every couple of hours running for 10 or 15 min. each time. I use mine to cool down the car for a few min. before I get in. It's nice not to have to go outside in the cold to start the car also.

·
Registered
318 Posts
As it was mentionned, the installation of such device should not invalidate your warranty unless the installation of the device, or the device itself caused the problem.

One word of wisdom, be very picky on who you will choose to do the installation. Some Manufacturer authorized dealers reccomendation should be a start but ask for references.

I had a Viper Alarm/Remote start combo installed by an authorized Viper dealer as per Viper Canada reccomendation.

They ruined one of the Honda Remote, scratched the dash and broke the stering column cover and the wires under the dash was a mess from their install. They left too much wires which they bundled up and did not properly secure. I had to work for over 3 hours to clean that mess and secure the wires properly before trading in the 2000 for the 2003.

Since then, I have learned my lesson. Nobody will install any accessories in my vehicles except me. The only problem is that most of the time I am too busy with the job.

Best regards from Montreal

RobertC

nurcomp said:
Has anyone installed a remote auto-starter in there ODY? Does it affect your warranty with Honda (i.e.void electrical components warranty)?

THKS...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hmm, I was told that I was not able to put in a remote starter because of the chiped keys...this was told to me by the dealer in my area.

·
Registered
73 Posts
"Hmm, I was told that I was not able to put in a remote starter because of the chiped keys...this was told to me by the dealer in my area."

You can, all you need is an optional gizmo that they put one of your keys in, it reads the code on the chip. I had to have one put in when I had my Viper 550XP installed, mine works fine. Talk to an authorized Viper agent. I recommend Viper due to their reliability, warranty and popularity. There are others out there that probably work fine as well.

·
Registered
318 Posts
These gizmos are called Transponder Bypass.

Some models require a key to be permanently installed in them while other models can be programmed with the vehicle key and once they are programmed they do not require a key to remote start the vehicle.

Best regards from Montreal, Canada

RobertC

zorba said:
"Hmm, I was told that I was not able to put in a remote starter because of the chiped keys...this was told to me by the dealer in my area."

You can, all you need is an optional gizmo that they put one of your keys in, it reads the code on the chip. I had to have one put in when I had my Viper 550XP installed, mine works fine. Talk to an authorized Viper agent. I recommend Viper due to their reliability, warranty and popularity. There are others out there that probably work fine as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks guys, but one of my concerns is that I do not want to disable the need to have the keys chipped... there are several reasons for this, one being the security of it and two being the insurance break.

So my question is as follows: does any one have a remote starter installed and still need a chiped key in order to start the vehicle ? this might have been answered above , but I am uncertain if that was what was meant.

Thanks

·
Registered
318 Posts
Dear eagle11,

remote strart device have built-in security against theft.

They usually are wired into the vehicle brake light circuit and since all recent car & light trucks equipped with an automatic transmission has an interlock system that requires that you depress the brake pedal before you can remove the transmission from "PARK". If the ignition key is not in the on position, depressing the brake pedal with the engine that has been remotely started, the engine with shutt down.

Also, while remote start system will start your engine, the doors will remain locked.

Most new cars have chipped keys( Like the Odyssey). This transponder system is looking for the pareticuliar "Signal" signature of the keys already programmed for the vehicle before it will permit the engine to be started.

The By-pass black box required so that a remote start system will function on such vehicle will only transmit the required signal when it is initiated by the remote start system. 2 types of black boxes are available.

The first type requires one of your car's keys to be installed inside permanently. (Less desirable since a thief could rip the key from this bown under the dash and start the car easily.

The 2nd type requires one of the keys only during the installation process so that it can be programmed with the proper transponder code. This code will remain in the boxe's memory and it will transmit it only when the remote start system sends a signal to the black box when required. THis is more secure has it does not require a key to be hidden inside the transponder by-pass module like the first type.

Best regards from Montreal, Canada

RobertC

eagle11 said:
Thanks guys, but one of my concerns is that I do not want to disable the need to have the keys chipped... there are several reasons for this, one being the security of it and two being the insurance break.

So my question is as follows: does any one have a remote starter installed and still need a chiped key in order to start the vehicle ? this might have been answered above , but I am uncertain if that was what was meant.

Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks a mill, that was what I was after...seems that this is a great site and the peeps here are very helpful.....I wish to return the favour in the months to come.

Thank you
Eagle

·
Registered
73 Posts
RobertC,
If someone broke into your vehicle with the alarm system activated, even if they found the key, the alarm system should still not allow the car to be started, unless the thief knew how to bypass the alarm system. I'm not sure if the above is true

·
Registered
22 Posts
The only way I would go is with the no key in car deal...it was my assumption that regardless of the alarm system, the key will start your car.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Dear zorba,

you can buy a remote start system without alarm and there is also combo units (Alarm/Remote Start) and also Alarm System without remote start.

Not being a professional thief, 2 years ago, the Viper 550HF (Combo Alarm/Remote Start system) on my 2000 Ody went berserk. I was stuck in the middle of a city at 5:00pm on a thursday night with the remote refusing to disarm the alarm and unlock the doors. I had to unlock the door with the key but then the Alarm sounded. I could not start the Ody. I call the installer who installed the system and we tried to use the Valet disable but the thing would not work. I was told to get a towing and tow the Ody to his business.

At this point I had a stroke of light (Does not happen often). I located the alarm under the dash(remember I did not install it) easily, got hold of the main harness going to the alarm and disconnected the harness - Voila - No more siren and I could start my engine.

I drove the van to the installer (15 miles) and they had to replace the whole system. To this day, they have yet been able to tell me why the alarm system went defective.

So in a manner of speaking, alarm system will keep opportunist thief from taking your car but they will never prevent professional thief from stealing our rides.

Best regards

RobertC

zorba said:
RobertC,
If someone broke into your vehicle with the alarm system activated, even if they found the key, the alarm system should still not allow the car to be started, unless the thief knew how to bypass the alarm system. I'm not sure if the above is true

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good point.

I think I am going to let the dealer handle this one...I will post a price as soon as I know of one...I am looking to install just the remote starter...the rest is insured...lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts