Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a remote auto-starter in there ODY? Does it affect your warranty with Honda (i.e.void electrical components warranty)?

THKS...

·
Registered
301 Posts
I haven't installed one yet but I'm going to. No these devices will not void your warranty just make sure they are installed properly.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mine will be installed in about a week to go with an upgraded alarm system (higher end Audiovox).

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nurcomp:
Has anyone installed a remote auto-starter in there ODY? Does it affect your warranty with Honda (i.e.void electrical components warranty)?

THKS...
</font>

·
Registered
18 Posts
We had the Command Start brand installed on our 2002 EX-L.These starters WILL NOT void any warranty's,even if you had a problem it would be install related,and covered by the company/brand of starter doing the job anyway.DO NOT go to just any old place for a starter install,if you have a new Ody bought from the Edmonton Honda dealers,you can get dealer pricing at Certified Radio in Edmonton.This company has been doing starters/alarms for many years and they know what they are doing plus give top notch service!

------------------
Milli

[This message has been edited by S Miller (edited 10-17-2001).]

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hey Milli what kind of price did you get on the command start? I assume they had to install a transponder bypass kit also. Which certified radio is better downtown or southside?

Timbo

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Timbo,we got the Command Start's top model #CS310i,installed for $440+tax.From memory this was about $60 or $70 less than their normal pricing.This price included the remote door locks,factory alarm arm/disarm,and yes the bypass kit,which you have to supply a key for.So if you want a starter make sure you get an extra key cut from the Honda dealer(price $36.73 per key + $36 for programming as many keys as you want) We bought our van from Yellowhead Honda and they deal with the downtown store,but i have heard the south side store is very good as well!

------------------
Milli

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">make sure you get an extra key cut from the Honda dealer(price $36.73 per key + $36 for programming as many keys as you want)</font>
They charge you extra for programming the transponder???

The CAN$36.73 per key sounds right--here it's US$25 now---but around here, that US$25 includes programming the key.

1 key, US$25. Two keys, US$50. 3 keys, US$75. And so on.

Charging you for programming the key AFTER they charge you the exorbitant price for the key itself, said exorbitant price including programming charges. Man.

·
Registered
254 Posts
my shop charges $375.00 plus tax installed for a remote starter but, you must supply the key.

------------------
2000 lx,fern grey,remote starter, single disc cd player,roof rack with cross rails, bra, hidden hitch,csa 5 spoke alloy wheels,15% film over oem privacy glass and artic alpine tires on the oem steel wheels.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Why do you need an extra key, and which key (regular or valet)?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by S Miller:
Hi Timbo,we got the Command Start's top model #CS310i,installed for $440+tax.From memory this was about $60 or $70 less than their normal pricing.This price included the remote door locks,factory alarm arm/disarm,and yes the bypass kit,which you have to supply a key for.So if you want a starter make sure you get an extra key cut from the Honda dealer(price $36.73 per key + $36 for programming as many keys as you want) We bought our van from Yellowhead Honda and they deal with the downtown store,but i have heard the south side store is very good as well!

</font>

------------------
Ron - Ody EX L Navi 2002, silver with fog, subwoofer

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi rondtroy

You can use either the regular or valet key for the starter install,as they have to set a key into the steering column so that the van detects the code and will start-up via remote.I supplied a regular key and got 2 more extras cut BEFORE the remote starter was installed.
If you supply a key for the install and then decide you want more keys after,you will then be forced to have the starter key REMOVED,because ALL the keys have a new code put in,when cutting additional keys!!!!

------------------
Milli

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">If you supply a key for the install and then decide you want more keys after,you will then be forced to have the starter key REMOVED,because ALL the keys have a new code put in,when cutting additional keys!!!!</font>
I don't think so. When I bought my 02, I immediately had some extra keys made at the dealer. He used my original key plus a special Honda machine to transfer my key transponder code into the new keys.

And if you think about it, that's how it has to happen. Making new keys doesn't change anything about the receiver inside the van. That's always the same. You don't change the key codes on your old keys at all; you put your key codes into your new keys, so that your new keys then match the receiver.

You never use just any code that may already be in the new keys and then force the new code into your existing setup. You force your existing codes into the new keys. So nothing needs to be done with the key that's stuck inside the steering column. It's golden.

·
Registered
170 Posts
This leads me to an obvious question; does putting a remote start into the 02 Ody EX create a security risk? Is this key, hidden away in the steering column, always active or just during a remote start? If someone trys to steal the car after a remote start but before putting the key in can they? Or if someone puts a plain, non-encoded copy in the ignition does it read the hidden key instead?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adam1991:
I don't think so. When I bought my 02, I immediately had some extra keys made at the dealer. He used my original key plus a special Honda machine to transfer my key transponder code into the new keys.

And if you think about it, that's how it has to happen. Making new keys doesn't change anything about the receiver inside the van. That's always the same. You don't change the key codes on your old keys at all; you put your key codes into your new keys, so that your new keys then match the receiver.

You never use just any code that may already be in the new keys and then force the new code into your existing setup. You force your existing codes into the new keys. So nothing needs to be done with the key that's stuck inside the steering column. It's golden.
</font>

------------------
Ron - Ody EX L Navi 2002, silver with fog, subwoofer

·
Registered
18 Posts
adam1991

YES you would have to remove the hidden key,because EVER time you get a new key cut for your Ody. a NEW random code is put into each key.This is a extra security measure taken by Honda,which makes any old lost/stolen keys useless for your van! Thus you CANNOT have more than ONE code,so the hidden key MUST be changed at the SAME TIME.

rondtroy

Yes the key is hidden in the steering column area,as an added security measure my installer grinds the teeth off of the key,so that if somebody found it they could NOT start the van.
No you cannot start the Ody.with a noncoded key,only a key that has the SAME code as the hidden key!
If someone trys stealing the Ody. after a remote start,the van will shut off as soon as the brake pedal is touched and will not start again without the corretly coded key!

------------------
Milli

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">YES you would have to remove the hidden key,because EVER time you get a new key cut for your Ody. a NEW random code is put into each key.</font>
I don't think so.

Go back and re-read what I said above.

When I got three new keys the day after I bought the van a couple months ago, the parts guy simply asked me for one of my original keys plus the key number.

He used the key number to squeeze the new keys, then he used the one single original key as a master to transfer the transponder information to the three new keys.

He never touched my second original factory key, which works fine.

Seeing as he never touched my second original factory key, and seeing as he explained that he needed a working key to transfer its transponder information into the new keys, I don't think a new code of any kind is put into EACH key.

Your factory key code is put into the NEW keys. But the originals are untouched. They are used only as masters to take the information from.

Got it?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
s miller: I just went back and re-read what you said:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Yes the key is hidden in the steering column area,as an added security measure my installer grinds the teeth off of the key,so that if somebody found it they could NOT start the van.</font>
True enough. You only need the transponder there.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">No you cannot start the Ody.with a noncoded key,only a key that has the SAME code as the hidden key!</font>
rondtroy's concern is very real. The key has a transponder in it that matches up with a receiver in the car. If the receiver gets the appropriate signal, it will enable the fuel system. If the receiver doesn't receive the appropriate signal, it won't enable the fuel system.

So, a key with the proper teeth but without the proper transponder can engage the starter but the car won't start. It's immobilized--hence the term "immobilizer.

So far so good?

Now, let's presume that an appropriate transponder is taped inside the steering column near the ignition switch, such that it triggers the immobilizer receiver properly. This is needed for a remote starter to work.

With this setup, rondtroy is correct. The immobilizer receiver will always see the correct code and will enable the fuel system. THEREFORE, any key that doesn't have the transponder but which does have the correct teeth can be inserted and used and the car will start, because the bogus key isn't being used to disable the immobilizer system. The hidden key is doing that for you.

s miller, does any of this disagree with what you've experienced?

rondtroy is right. With a remote starter installed, the immobilizer system is effectively rendered inert and the car will start with any appropriate starter and ignition signal, up to and including hot wiring it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The extra key should not go into the steering column, but into a transponder bypass box that the installer hides high under the dash. It has a wire that loops to a ring that goes around the ignition lock so send the signal. It is only activated when the remote start activates it. So, if the thief finds the box, by opening the steering column cover and tracing the wire back to the box, and you've cut or filed off the key, he has to hold the key head near the switch while forcing or picking the lock to get it started.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
And that makes perfect sense. It's an extra expense and hassle, but it preserves the integrity of the immobilizer system.

Thanks, Bob.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Bobf58 is right. Those bypass boxes only activate when the remote start is pushed. These boxes are cheap at around $25us.
There is also a bypass box that is hard wired in that does not need a key. These units are more pricy at $75us.

I think Adam is right about key programing. It sounds logical that they would impart the same code as you do not touch the in car reciever unit which is looking for the original code.
Hey Milli which dealer was doing your keys? Seems like he is a bit unsure how these things work.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Bobf58 is right. Those bypass boxes only activate when the remote start is pushed. These boxes are cheap at around $25us.
There is also a bypass box that is hard wired in that does not need a key. These units are more pricy at $75us.
</font>
But the $25 box requires a $25 key, for a total of $50...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Adam said:
But the $25 box requires a $25 key, for a total of $50...

True but you already have the keys. Using that valet key is not much of a sacrifice. You still have two good keys and thats all I've ever had on any of my previous cars.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts