Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a used 2000 Honda Odyssey a few months ago and i am very happy with it. i purchased a remote start kit to install for my wife for Christmas. I purchased the Viper 5301 kit off of Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Viper-5301-2-...XMBC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325015437&sr=8-1

I hit a little snag when i realized that they only provide installation instructions to authorized dealers (grrr) i managed to get a hold of an install manual anyway and with the help of Car Alarm, Car Stereo, Mobile Video, and Cruise Control Info for Installers i got just about everything i need.

Once i started getting into it yesterday i noticed a potential snag not realizing i may have an immobilizer. I am fairly certain i do. i was looking for some advice. i have heard varying things on this. from what i understand someone people just attach a spare key near the proximity sensor to disable the immobilizer. also it seems like there are modules that can be used to bypass the immobilizer when the remote start is used.

Anyway, i am wondering if i should continue to pursue this or just cut my losses and bail on it. Please keep in mind that i am an electrical engineer with a number of years experience. I have done my share of this stuff so please hold on to any comments about "taking it to someone that knows what they are doing" i am just looking for some opinions on this.

·
Registered
355 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow awesome thanks for the help. only problem with the link you sent is it is showing discontinued, but i am sure i can find it somewhere else.

My biggest concern with all of this is this.... My understanding is that if the car is attempted to be started without sensing the proximity fob thing the immobolizer is activated. How do you recover from that? I just have a fear that my wife is going to be out somewhere and something doesnt quite work the way its supposed to and the dang immobilizer activates and she is stuck.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I have had one installed in my van for 6 or 7 years now. Never had an issue with it. Ebay has them for $15. The immobilizer does not immobilize the car for any set time. It either stops the car from running at that time because it doesn't sense what it needs or the car starts. It's actually pretty basic. Continue on with your quest.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got a Fortin bypass module and it worked great! just follow the directions VERY carefully and it is very easy to program. I did not have to give up a key either. if you want a link, i can get it for you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts