Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched/found a number of threads discussing various remote starter systems, but can't find any specifics w/ regard to cost. Appreciate any input from remote start users as to what model they have and what the cost was?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am in the middle of this now. The dealer wanted $700 for the Honda RS.
I wanted a better RS with more range and functions. Was quoted about the same for a hi end unit but after they discussed what I wanted it to do with the installer I was told that the installer could not do it (I think cost) so was told I would be happier with another shop doing the install. I really wanted it done as a dealer install so it would be covered under the warranty and felt I would have less hassle in the long run (with the warranty).
So, I have been talking to different RS install shops to judge how much they know and how they make the connections verses interfacing with the CAN.
One quote came back at $700 plus $65 for sliders and $65 for back door to be controlled.
I had a long list of how I wanted it to operate, like not turning off when the door is opened, still being able to control functions while in RS mode etc. Seems a bit high...
Waiting for the 2nd quote now. Some shops I talked to I did not call back a second time.
I am looking at high end RS units with 2 way graphic remote and CAN interface module connections. Like:
CompuStar RF-P2W901-SS
Pursuit PRO9801C
Viper 5501

CAN modules like:
iDat-aLink ADS-AL-CA
Expresskit XK09 - DATA BUS Interface (CAN High Speed, J1850, ISO)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I paid about $800 bucks, but I would not recommend the starter. When you start the van from the fob, it works great. You must shut off the engine and restart the van with the key to drive it. I'm not sure what engineer came up with that idea, but Chrysler has that over Honda. If you don't mind doing that it heats and cools great prior to getting in the van.

·
Registered
105 Posts
So the prices I am getting then seem in order. I just thought they were high.
I have mixed feelings as I would like it installed "by the dealer" to avoid warranty issues but also feel that the odds are that it would not be as good of a result as a good after market shop.
What starter did you get installed? Was it the Honda one?
Not staying running was one of the issues I was concerned about.
As far as after market installs, if done correctly, the motor will stay running.

My other option (still open) is to do it myself. I have done much of this type of work but am older now. Not sure my back will recover if I try it now....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Check with your dealer if they are offering any holiday specials. I was quoted a little bit over $700 when I first got my van about 1.5 months ago and then I got an email from the service department with a special for 25% off a few weeks ago for a remote start including installation and I ended up paying just over $500 for it. It's the honda remote start with 1 remote.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input from all. In doing some more research I found that one of the remote the dealer would install (3rd party) would cost me $490. The unit itself is around fifty bucks so I'm may just buy it and have it installed. The person that installs for many of the dealers around here did one for us last year at about half of what it would cost going through the dealer.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ordered the remote-starter when I bought my 2011 Odyssey. Instead of the Honda one, they installed an after market brand. In my mind, that was an under-the-table practice (and I told them that): no wonder the price including install was a lot lower than reasonably expected given the price of the Honda remote-starter itself.

Anyway, it turns out it was a blessing in disguise. Though not one of those fancy ones you can control from 4000 feet (slight exaggeration) or via smart-phone, the after-market one has a lot better functionality than the Honda one. It turns on the engine and while warming up, you can only enter using the remote-starter. Once inside, you can only proceed if you have the Honda key. Do any other thing, and the van shuts itself off. This might be standard for remote-starters (an auto-start newbie), but the Honda one does not have this relatively simple and straight-forward functionality. It cost me about $350 installed and came with 2 remote-starter fobs.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Can you provide brand/model for the starter you had installed?
Since I thought the dealer was going to install the Honda remote-starter, I only did the research after the fact. Actually, it's one of the least expensive and probably easiest to self-install models that you can find out there. It's a Crimestopper Cool Start RS4. I got hosed with the install cost (roughly $300 to install) but then again I'm glad I didn't get the Honda Remote-Starter at the Honda price. Yes, I could've done it myself, but I just don't have the time. And considering the savings I had elsewhere in my purchase experience, I didn't make more of a stink about this. If you go ahead and do the self-install, I think the forum would love to hear of your experience!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im pretty sure most dealers install the avital. It cost about $50 on amazon. I was quoted 350 for install and they use an outside installer to do the install. The remote is real small a little bigger than a quarter. If u check amaon its rated very well. Its basic just remote start but like i said the remote is tiny so u can add it to your key ring no problem.

Avital - Product 4113 One-button Remote Start with Unlocking

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually, it's one of the least expensive and probably easiest to self-install models that you can find out there. It's a Crimestopper Cool Start RS4.
Thanks for the input!

Yes, I could've done it myself, but I just don't have the time.
Same here but I'd just add that in my case expertise & tools pretty much disqualify me as any kind of installer. With my luck I'd push the start button and the car would start up and run away... :rollingeyes:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I paid about $800 bucks, but I would not recommend the starter. When you start the van from the fob, it works great. You must shut off the engine and restart the van with the key to drive it.
I got the RS when made a deal purchased my 2011 EX-L RES. When I start the vehicle, there is no parking lights on to show the van is running or not. You can look at the remote screen when it starts, but hard to find the van in the parking lot when it is running. Only thing I can try to find is the smoke come out the exhaust.:nothappy:

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Tymbee, you're welcome. The recent post by loveody03 made me think I should highlight a few more details:
  • When using the Crimestopper Coolstart, when holding down the ignition button, the parking lights turn on solid, then at the point of ignition, it turns off briefly, and then stays on once the car is running. This lets you know that the vehicle is running.
  • While this may call attention to your now running vehicle, I'm confident to leave it unattended while warming up the interior for my kids because of the security features I previously described.
  • To get going, I unlock the vehicle with the Coolstart keyfob, insert my Honda key into the ignition, turn it to "on" position and then press down on the brake pedal. The parking lights turn back off.
  • This releases the control from the Coolstart to the Honda key.
  • Also, the vehicle will shut off after 20 minutes as a default time limit, I think (can't remember and need to find the manual). I've only reached that time limit once and that was because the kids needed much more time than expected to get out of the house.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought the Honda Remote Start when I purchased my 2012 Odyssey. I'm extremely disappointed with it. My husband said we should insist that Honda remove it & reimburse us for the up charge. As noted above, you have to turn the engine off before the doors will unlock. This is not at all what I envisioned! GMC does not do this...Has anyone heard of Honda doing an update for this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've searched the threads but still can't find what I'm looking for. Does anyone have the Avital, or another remote start add-on that uses the original Odyssey remote? How do you like it? Are there any wiring harnesses (like the factory unit) that can make an install plug and play?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Honda remote start is really a waste of money folks.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
is there a remote start unit that allows you to remotely start the car, open doors, etc. When you finally want to move along, you just put the key in, turn it to the 2nd position and on your way you go?

This whole turning engine on and off is a bit stupid to me.

·
Registered
103 Posts
is there a remote start unit that allows you to remotely start the car, open doors, etc. When you finally want to move along, you just put the key in, turn it to the 2nd position and on your way you go?
--------------------------------------------------
My 2008 EX-L is exactly this. I have a Viper 5901 and it works great.

I know something has changed with newer years that people say requires the engine to be restarted, but there has to be a way around this. It just ruins the whole thing.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone
Scott

1 - 20 of 24 Posts