Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone added a remote starter on their van? If so how did you bypass the engine immobilizer system. I heard the units that use the transponder drom your valet key are not reliable in freezing temperatures.

What brand is best. I will also be adding keyless entry with the starter.

This site is great despite what Honda thinks...

------------------
Edmonton, Alberta
2001 Fern LX

·
Registered
276 Posts
I installed CS RS-700 remote starter add-on in my '99 EX 2 years ago (bought from autotoys actually), it's controlled by my original Honda remote. Since you have an LX, you have a lot of brands and features to choose from. Consider an all-in-one unit instead of separate keyless/alarm unit and remote starter unit, it's easier to install and will be more reliable.

You also need a transponder bypass module and a spare key, if you are concerned about leaving a key inside the car, have Honda dealer program a "blank" key into the PCM.
Or, you can do what I did and that is installing a second Honda immobilizer receiver (bypass unit wasn't easy to find 2 years ago). It's more work installing another immobilizer, but nobody would be able to tell. All transponder bypass unit uses a round antenna installed within the proximity of the ignition key, it's less concealed.

Are you planning to do your own install?

-Harry

·
Registered
354 Posts
When my brother-in-law installed mine, He cut the shank off the key and just put the head into the transponder box, so there wouldn't be a key in the van.

If you have one installed, beware. My BIL tells me that some installers are permanantly disabling the transponder instead of using a bypass.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Honda immobilizer cannot be disabled, it is part of the ECM (the computer module). I won't go into details, but it's possible to bypass it without using a spare key. (Not the right/recommended way)

If you are going to have it installed, be sure to ask where they hide the bypass module. You should NOT be able to see it if you try to look for it.
If you want to be sure the immobilizer still works the way it should, make a copy of the key and try to start the car with it. If the immobilizer is still active, the car won't start.

Check out the DEI-552T (remote start+keyless entry) or DEI-553T (remote start+security system)

-Harry

[This message has been edited by hgani (edited 08-01-2001).]

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see that they make two kinds of bypass units now. One uses the spare key and one is a black box that is hard wired in. The second type is about three times more expensive though.

Does the bypass only disable the immobilizer during remote starting? Any problems with the immobilizer "seeing" two transponder signals when using the regular key. (with the other in the bypass box).

Tim

------------------
Edmonton, Alberta
2001 Fern LX

·
Registered
276 Posts
The "No key required" bypass module for Honda/Acura is something new, it didn't exist until recently.
The answer to your question is a definite "NO" because the bypass module is activated just before the remote starting occurs. Every remote starter unit has a wire that go live a couple of seconds before starting and turn off after the engine starts, so normal car starting using key will not activate the bypass module.
I have "two" immobilizer receiver in my Odyssey for over 2 years now and I've never had any problem with them.

-Harry

P.S. I'll look into the "no key required" module to see if it's worth replacing my second receiver and valet key.

·
Registered
276 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Canodyssey:
I see that they make two kinds of bypass units now. One uses the spare key and one is a black box that is hard wired in. The second type is about three times more expensive though.

Tim

</font>
I see what you mean, $24.50 vs. $70 and also 2/3 wires + loop vs. 6 wires. But I still recommend that you use the PKH2 module instead of the universal module because it seems to be more secure and reliable.

-Harry

·
Registered
254 Posts
i have a black widow bw200 remote starter with transponder bypass module. no problems so far although my glass shop installs them on a regular basis.

hey canodyssey, where do you live in edmonton? i grew up in castle downs and moved to vancouver in 1989.

------------------
2000 lx,fern grey,remote starter, single disc cd player,roof rack with cross rails, bra, hidden hitch,csa 5 spoke alloy wheels,15% film over oem privacy glass and artic alpine tires on the oem steel wheels.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Can people grap your remote starter code? Will it have more chance to have your car stolen?

------------------
'01 GG EX
Mud Guard, Wheel Lock, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats
leather steerling wheel cover, Pioneer 1655 speakers,
Lojack

·
Registered
254 Posts
i do not think a remote starter increases the chance of vehicle theft. if the code is somehow duplicated, the steering wheel lock must also be broken and the safety shut off wire lead connected to the brake pedel wire harness must also be dis-connected.

------------------
2000 lx,fern grey,remote starter, single disc cd player,roof rack with cross rails, bra, hidden hitch,csa 5 spoke alloy wheels,15% film over oem privacy glass and artic alpine tires on the oem steel wheels.

·
Registered
148 Posts

Does the bypass only disable the immobilizer during remote starting? Any problems with the immobilizer "seeing" two transponder signals when using the regular key. (with the other in the bypass box).

Tim

</font>
When hooked up properly, the immobilizer bypass module should 'turn on' only with the remote start. Otherwise, it will render your immobilizer on all the time and also cause faults with your van since your car will see 2 keys in your car all the time.

If you are looking for a immobilizer bypass, search under 555 or immobilizer at http://store.autotoys.com

We also used speaker wire, but the module is much more reliable, see an install of ours in a 98+ accord.

http://www.autotoys.com/New_Tech/DIY/Accord_RemoteStart/accord_remotestart.htm

------------------

Here to help

·
Registered
318 Posts
I had a Viper 550ESP installed in March 2001.

This is a combo Alarm/Remote start.

Did not have any cold weather problem in Northern Quebec with the bypass module. It is the one that use the valet key.

One thing I found out after trying, if the system is not disarmed and I try to start the Ody with the key, it will not crank and the alarm wails.

Best regards from Montreal, Canada

Has anyone added a remote starter on their van? If so how did you bypass the engine immobilizer system. I heard the units that use the transponder drom your valet key are not reliable in freezing temperatures.

What brand is best. I will also be adding keyless entry with the starter.

This site is great despite what Honda thinks...

</font>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts