Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, We have a 2001 EX. We are interested in getting a remote starter installed. We went to a local stereo/alarm kind of a place. They wanted $225 to install a Viper system and another $50 to bypass the anti theft system. They siad they would need to install a coded key somewhere in the car that would trick the computer into thinking the real key was in while activating the remote starter. Is this true?

I have seen other starter system as low as $40. Do I really need to buy the $225 one?

Any help is appreciated.
Chris

·
Registered
329 Posts
Since we are waiting for our '02 Odyssey to arrive, I can't say for sure...but I'm going to assume that the the key for the Ody is going to be like the one for our Accord.

Our Accord has a key with a chip in it that is needed for the engine to run. If we were to go make a (non-Honda) duplicate of the key, the car wouldn't run since the copied key didn't have the chip.

So...a remote starter would need to bypass that security feature. Your stereo/alarm place is correct in saying that a coded key (or transponder, or whatever...) would need to be present to "trick" your car into thinking the real key was there in order to activate the remote starter.

As for what they cost, I don't know. I haven't done any research about them.

Hope this helped.

....Michael

·
Registered
147 Posts
Which model of Viper are they going to install? The Honda has an immobilizer based Transponder chip in the key. When you insert the key, the immobilizer in the vehicle looks for a code from the chip. If the code is correct it will let the vehicle start. It is very effective but tough when you want a remote start. There are devices on the market that will bypass the immobilizer by giving the correct code. In order to do that there are presently two ways of doing that. One is to have the immobilizer in the car learn a new transponder. Easy to do with a ford but not other vehicles. Fords can be programmed easily with a tester or tool. With Honda you will need the diagnostic tool and know exactly what to do. There is the second option and that is to take a spare key and use say the DEI's bypass module and you put the key in there. When the vehicle goes to remote start the remote start module turns on the bypass module and the vehicle will accept the key and it will start. Keys with immobilizers are very expensive and tough to work with. I sell and install these devices everyday and $225 is a bargain. I get $350 for an alarm with a transponder bypass. The products themselves are not expensive, but the labor and technical knowledge are. I pay about $100 bucks for a nice remote start with alarm and $15 for the bypass that uses the key. Stand alone bypass's such as ford cost me $25. The price, if it's an alarm also is very good. If it's the one that uses your factory remote it is still a good price. It's the installers knowledge and expertise your paying for. 99% of all problems with these units is always installer related. Any questions just post them. By the way a nice page to visit about transponders is www.TrandsponderBypass.com

DanDan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts