Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a remote tailgate release that will open the tailgate from the driver's seat? I'd like to be able to release the tailgate, exit the vehicle, lock the doors (via the door button), retrieve items from the back, then close the tailgate and leave the area. The idea is to eliminate the need to lock the doors AFTER the tailgate is closed. I've used similar facilities on both Chrysler product vans and my Chevy Blazer.

I thought I had found a solution using a Directed Electronics Trunk Release Solenoid (found at a local Circuit City for about $30). However, since the Honda latch seems to be two-staged I think the solenoid will only be able to release the first stage. The second stage requires that the handle be pulled and the door lifted; this can't be done if the door lock is in the locked position.

A circuit like this should be tied to some sensor to prevent operation while the vehicle is in motion. I'd probably tie it to the system that prevents the power doors from being operated except when the transmission is in park.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mel

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Hi, Mel. You wrote: "I thought I had found a solution using a Directed Electronics Trunk Release Solenoid (found at a local Circuit City for about $30). However, since the Honda latch seems to be two-staged I think the solenoid will only be able to release the first stage. The second stage requires that the handle be pulled and the door lifted; this can't be done if the door lock is in the locked position."

I have no idea if it's feasible, but I wonder if you could solve the "two-stage" problem by grinding off the first stage of the latch plate. I haven't looked at it, so I don't know if it would work or not. Just brainstormin'.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Do you have an LX model without keyless remote entry?

Your idea is doable, but you'll need another piece of accessory called Pulse Timer relay, DEI-528T.

You tap Park/Neutral wire to supply ground for your switch, run a wire from your switch to the tailgate and connect it to input of the pulse timer relay, hook up a diode to the wire you just install and connect the diode to the Red/Black wire of the tailgate key cylinder lock, hook up power & ground for the pulse timer relay and connect the delayed output to the relay which will energize the solenoid. Mount and connect your solenoid to the lock where the pull handle rod connects to.

Now, whenever the car is in Park/Neutral and you press the switch, the tailgate will unlock, then after a delay (you program the length), the solenoid will unlatch the tailgate. If you want, you can also install shaved door popper which will push the tailgate outward.

-Harry

[This message has been edited by hgani (edited 07-04-2001).]

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chuck and Harry,

Thanks for the ideas.

While I was working on installing fog lights my son was tackling the latch problem. He solved it in an interesting way.

He reasoned that all we needed was some tension on the door so that when the latch was released the tailgate would "open" enough to clear the latch. He provided the tension by installing a piece of 3/8" fuel hose over the gas lift rods. I think he used pieces about 2" long. Initially, instead of being compressed when the door closed, the tubing moved toward the end of the rod. He solved this problem by placing a couple of tie-wraps around the tubing.

Looks like this is going to work. We didn't get the wiring completed today; ran out of time and materials. The switch that came with the solenoid is functional but UGLY. I might use it, if I mount it under the seat, or I'll get another switch and put it under the dash.

I haven't figured out yet exactly how we're going to provide the safe power supply for this circuit. Right now I', planning on looking at the door motor circuits since they already have appropriate interlocks and should have ample current. (The solenoid is fused at 10A.) I'm considering Chuck's power door mods so I'll have to see how they affect things.

Thanks again,
Mel

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone for your ideas.

Right now it looks like it is working. Had some problems with interference to the lock mechanism (actually the ability to unlock the tailgate) but I think we've got that problem licked.

Electrically it's tied to the ground used to prevent the doors from operating except in Park and to an accessory circuit so it only works with the key on. This is pretty conservative, but I think it'll meet my needs. If the accessory requirement proves to be a pain it just requires moving one wire to make it "always hot", but still tied to the transmission.

I took some pictures along the way and hope to post them when I get some time, but probably not in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks to all for a very good forum with a very high signal to noise ratio

Mel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts