Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a situation where the glass sunroof on my Honda Odyssey 2019 shattered spontaneously on a sunny clear day without any warning and with no cars/ trucks around while driving at normal highway speeds. The dealer claims that this was caused by a flying "debris" and quoted $1100 to replace it. After much discussion and complaints to Honda - 3 weeks later - Honda offered to replace the sunroof under warranty.
BUT - now the dealer wants me to pay over $300 to clean the glass debris from the broken sunroof that has gotten under the headliner. I am not very mechanically inclined and have no idea how to even try to take out the headliner.
Question:
1) How much work is it to remove the headliner? Is the $300 a justified cost?
2) If the headliner is not removed and we let glass remain in it - would it create any mechanical problems or safety issues down the line?

Any help or guidance is appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Call your local car interior shop and ask how much to replace headliner

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
Also 300 sounds ridiculous
I'm on the other side of the fence here. Yes, $300 is a lot of money but that is because dealers charge up to $139 an hour (here at least) and I can pretty confidently say I can't remove, vacuum and reinstall that headliner in just over 2 hours without messing something up. Calling an interior shop or body shop may be your best bet as they only charge roughly $50/hr for labor on body related items. So you may be able to get it done for half the price. And odds are, they may do it better than the dealer!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your responses guys. You would not believe the crazy insurance costs up here in Ontario - I have a $500 deductible to keep things under control. So insurance is not going to be an option on this one. After not being able to use the vehicle for almost 3 weeks - I just bit the bullet - I got the work done at the dealer. I feel like I have just been sheared :) ! It might have been smarter to ask around other interior shops about this work... chances are they would have saved me a few bucks. The dealer claims he is giving me a deal as part of the warranty repair - the actual cost would be likely for 5-6 hrs of work (@$150)... I am guessing it would have cost me $250 anyways outside.

·
Registered
831 Posts
It’s bit of work to remove headliner, clean glass and put the headliner back up, if you have RES then it’s bit more work. I would say let the dealer do it for $300 but I am not sure why didn’t send that cost to Honda under warranty repair when they sent the estimate for Honda asking them to approve. Maybe they can do that and update their estimate and get Honda to re approve?

Talk to the service manager and ask if that’s possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just guessing but doesn't the headliner have to come down to replace the unit anyway? I probably would have called their bluff and said not to. Most likely it would be harder to replace the unit without cleaning the glass up anyway...haha.

·
Registered
472 Posts
How much of the glass can you get out yourself? Make an extension wand for your vacuum out of thin PVC electrical conduit, tape it in the vac hose and start fishing chunks out.

·
Registered
2020 Elite | Platinum White Pearl | J35Y6
402 Posts
Just guessing but doesn't the headliner have to come down to replace the unit anyway? I probably would have called their bluff and said not to. Most likely it would be harder to replace the unit without cleaning the glass up anyway...haha.
Good point, to get to the wiring etc.. .I would think they'd have to remove a good portion of the liner anyway.

How much of the glass can you get out yourself? Make an extension wand for your vacuum out of thin PVC electrical conduit, tape it in the vac hose and start fishing chunks out.
Exactly what I was thinking. OP should go rent a shop vac that has really good suction and rig something up to remove the glass himself. With a plastic pry tool the liner isn't hard to remove. Our Odys aren't put together that well lol things pop off like a cheap lego. When I was running the lines for the rear camera I was saddened on how easily things popped off. I bet it's an car audio guys dream to work on the newer hondas.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Couple things here:
1. This is a SAFETY issue. Ask your dealership how much the liability would be for glass to embed in your kids' (or your) bodies.
2. If it was a flaw - as Honda acknowledged - they should cover this lock, stock, and barrel (that is, 100%).
3. At the very minimum, your dealership should do as goodwill. If not, I would roast/torch them on forums, BBB, and anything else.
4. If you do have to pay - last resort - I'd go with a body shop, as others note above. And that would NOT be "... a body shop associated with your dealer..."

·
Registered
2020 Elite | Platinum White Pearl | J35Y6
402 Posts
Also, make sure to get everything in writing. Especially when dealing with a stealership.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Couple things here:
1. This is a SAFETY issue. Ask your dealership how much the liability would be for glass to embed in your kids' (or your) bodies.
2. If it was a flaw - as Honda acknowledged - they should cover this lock, stock, and barrel (that is, 100%).
3. At the very minimum, your dealership should do as goodwill. If not, I would roast/torch them on forums, BBB, and anything else.
4. If you do have to pay - last resort - I'd go with a body shop, as others note above. And that would NOT be "... a body shop associated with your dealer..."
I bet you they acknowledged no flaws, they probably said one time goodwill gesture...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts