Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How do you debag the rear emblem on the Odyssey? What clean up is necessary after removal? Are there holes after removal?Is it held on by adhesive only?
The link that I found searching for an answer is no longer valid.:confused:

·
1,484 Posts
The ODYSSEY emblem is the only one held on by an adhesive. The H has the holes. To remove the ODYSSEY emblem...

1) Heat the adhesive goo by blowing a hair dryer on it.
2) Using either Dental Floss or Fishing Wire separate the emblem from the goo.
3) Then use a non-toxic/natural adhesive removal liquid. Like a citric acid based product. You could also reheat the goo with the hair dryer.

Good Luck!
-Nestor

·
Registered
479 Posts
Badge removal

I took mine off just a few days after I picked it up. It was VERY easy to remove--no hair dryer, no residue, and accomplished in maybe 1-2 minutes. I'm guessing it was easier because the van was brand new. Anyway, I won't miss waxing around it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I took the emblem out on my 2yr old ody two Sundays ago.

I used a fishing line to remove the emblem. Just insert the line vertically and running it up and down as you go from end to end.

If you have a new ody then the adhesive goo is easy to remove. But, if you have an older ody like mine then you'll need to buy an adhesive remover called "Goof Off" at Home Depot. I got the 4.5 fl. oz. yellow can. You will find it at the paint section. It will dissolve the goo. It won't ruin the paint. Just apply wax after. It even removes lipstick marks on shirts ;) (trust me, it works).

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
malakilaki said:
But, if you have an older ody like mine then you'll need to buy an adhesive remover called "Goof Off" at Home Depot. I got the 4.5 fl. oz. yellow can. You will find it at the paint section. It will dissolve the goo. It won't ruin the paint. Just apply wax after. It even removes lipstick marks on shirts ;) (trust me, it works).

Good luck.
Watch out for the Goof Off, i had a can of it and my brother spilled some on a cheap lighter and it ate right through the plastic! I haven't try to use it on painted surface after seeing that, but it good to hear that it doesn't damage the car paint. It does work very well on taking off gunky stuff.

·
Registered
512 Posts
JoesYum said:

Watch out for the Goof Off, i had a can of it and my brother spilled some on a cheap lighter and it ate right through the plastic! I haven't try to use it on painted surface after seeing that, but it good to hear that it doesn't damage the car paint. It does work very well on taking off gunky stuff.
I have used this product many times to remove all sorts of sticker goop, emblem goop, etc. Does not seem to harm the paint but dont scrub too hard or it will scratch. Also good for removing chewing gum, tar, rustproffing, overspray, latex paint, etc.
Caution: this stuff has heinous fumes and is carcenogenic so use outside if possible.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Thats why i got a can of the Goof Off, i had chewing gum on my shoes and then inside the car, haven't really used it for anything else after the lighter meltdown.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Removed emblem yesterday. Thanks for all of the input. Emblem came off using fishing line. Adhesive removed using Goo Gone (and a considerable amount of elbow grease), or as stated most any brand citrus based remover would work.

:D

·
Registered
415 Posts
removed mine!

another use for dental floss!
real easy (only a month old), just rubbed of the adhesive with my finger.
now if the yellow taillights could be changes so easily ...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I removed mine after I read these posts. It came off quite easily. The remaining glue can be rubbed off with my thumb. It looks really great without the emblem.:cool:

·
Registered
479 Posts
I liked the looks without the emblem so much that I was going to remove the "H" on rear hatch, too (I really hate trying to wax around these pieces). So I checked Helms manual and saw how they described the exact placement (i.e so many inches from top, bottom, etc). I proceeded to carefully lift logo and discovered that the manual had neglected to mention that there is a small hole (at least one anyway) where a plastic peg on the logo drops into! Fortunately, I had not gone that far and pressed logo back down and it appears to be holding fine. Now I'm wondering what other omissions are in my "trusty" Helms manual.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I took the emblem out on my 2yr old ody two Sundays ago.

I used a fishing line to remove the emblem. Just insert the line vertically and running it up and down as you go from end to end.

If you have a new ody then the adhesive goo is easy to remove. But, if you have an older ody like mine then you'll need to buy an adhesive remover called "Goof Off" at Home Depot. I got the 4.5 fl. oz. yellow can. You will find it at the paint section. It will dissolve the goo. It won't ruin the paint. Just apply wax after. It even removes lipstick marks on shirts ;) (trust me, it works).

Good luck.
Sorry to bump and ancient thread, but any tips on removing the adhesive on a 16 year old van? I tried both Goof Off Automotive and regular, but neither would get the last of three letters off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts