Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received check engine light and code P0302 came up. I replaced all coil packs and spark plugs except for spark plug in cylinder 2. I can’t get socket around it. It seems like there’s an aluminum sleeve that’s moved up and is preventing me from reaching plug. It’s hard to see because it’s in the back. Any comments or experiences with this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I purchased a hose-camera from Harbor Freight ($50, Black Friday Sale). After sticking it down the spark plug tube, I was able to see my problem was a tiny spring...it was the spring from inside the coil pack! It fell off and when I tried to remove the plug, I forced it down and it, of course, turned sideways, lodging tightly between plug and tube’s wall. I used a wheel grinder to fashion a tiny pick from a long handled screwdriver which I also cut to length in tight quarters. With camera and pick, I dislodged spring and used magnet to bring it the rest of the way out. I changed the #2 cylinder plug (which was in very bad shape at 70,000 miles) and coil pack (I actually changed all plugs/coil packs). Honda purrs and I reset code. BEWARE of those coil pack springs! Check for it upon pulling.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Great pictures. I like your problem solving skills. Oh, did you purchase OEM coils, or the "cheapo" ones I've seen on
Amazon. (if so, would be curious, how long they last). :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Depending upon the year of your vehicle you likely have a warranty claim for piston rings to be replaced per egads link above. At 70K miles you mentioned above, your plugs should not be fouling. Without the old plugs in the corresponding cylinders Honda won't be able to diagnose this condition.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts