Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like every single dark blue 2G I have ever seen, it peels all over. Some of these were induced by external trauma and some where there has been absolutely no damage.

It isn't much to look at. Trouble is, like most old Odys, it runs like a top. So, I can't see just giving it away for a few hundred bucks, which is likely what it would bring, given its cosmetic challenges.

We just bought a "new" 3G. So, I am thinking of keeping this as the spare beater for pickup truck type chores or to drive when the roads are shit. BTW, this thing is an absolute BEAST in the snow. Nice to see at least one company knows how to make a proper TCS.

My question is, what can I do on the cheap to give the old girl a face lift. She'll never be as purty as she once was, but is there something I can do that will help some?

I have thought about just bondoing the few dents and feather out the edges of the spots that have peeled and have someone give it a spray. I have even considered painting it myself. There are some paints out there now that do a suprisingly good job of self leveling. It wouldn't look like a professional spray job, but it might not look horrible. And it would help preserve the barespots, which haven't rusted....yet.

Has anyone tried doing anything like this? Would like to see pics, if you have.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After looking at a few rustoleum roll-on videos on youtube, I think I am going to give that a shot. Hopefully Rustoleum has something close to Cobalt Blue, or whatever the hell it is.

My concern is finding any remaining areas that are prone to peeling, to show themselves. Hopefully sanding the existing finish will ferret them out. I was thinking maybe even taking my rubber mallet first and tap around a bit. Maybe it will reveal it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just watched youtube videos on painting cars with rust oleum. Did not know people did this. But when I think of it, I've painted lawn mowers, tractors, and other farm equipment with rust oleum and acetone as a thinner. And it has always worked out real well.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I'm on the same boat with my hood and roof peeling badly. Not inclined to spend hundreds for a paint job. Does not have to be perfect looking just even looking will be a big improvement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts