Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 2009 EX-L with 251,xxx, non-muzzled. The Indy shop says new engine or drive it till it dies. Needs tires, shocks, and all fluids. Considering a 2012 EX-L one owner with only 45,xxx instead of putting $$$ into the 2009 because I fear a tranny or engine failure soon. Needless to say I’m not loaded in money so a new vehicle is out of the question. Opinion anyone?

·
Registered
347 Posts
How much $$ difference are we talking? I am guessing your van probably isn't worth much I guess. Also, if TB work was not done on 2012, then you have to budget $700-$1000 to do it considering it is coming up to 10yrs. At least it does not have much miles so you can muzzle it now and it should still be ok. If you can get a good deal on the 2012, I say why not.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,307 Posts
How much is the 2012 going to cost?

What exactly is wrong with the 2009? I'd be inclined to leave the shocks and fluids as-is, put some cheap used (but safe) tires on it, and use it till it dies, if you're only using it locally. If you regularly drive long distances and really want to avoid a breakdown, I would get a newer car and not put any more money in the '09. You could probably get ~$1K for it if you sell it privately on Craigslist.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much $$ difference are we talking? I am guessing your van probably isn't worth much I guess. Also, if TB work was not done on 2012, then you have to budget $700-$1000 to do it considering it is coming up to 10yrs. At least it does not have much miles so you can muzzle it now and it should still be ok. If you can get a good deal on the 2012, I say why not.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. The ‘12 is at a local Honda dealership and they’re asking a pretty penny for it but I’d like the comfort of having a lower mileage vehicle. I use my ‘09 for work travel and I am averaging 17,000 miles/yr.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much is the 2012 going to cost?

What exactly is wrong with the 2009? I'd be inclined to leave the shocks and fluids as-is, put some cheap used (but safe) tires on it, and use it till it dies, if you're only using it locally. If you regularly drive long distances and really want to avoid a breakdown, I would get a newer car and not put any more money in the '09. You could probably get ~$1K for it if you sell it privately on Craigslist.
The advisor at the local independent shop said to drive it till it dies because I’m not wanting to put a new engine in it just to see the transmission fail 400 miles later, if you know what I mean. The intriguing thing about the ‘12 is the extremely low miles although time may still require replacement of age items like belts, etc. I do not know any work history on the ‘12.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The advisor at the local independent shop said to drive it till it dies because I’m not wanting to put a new engine in it just to see the transmission fail 400 miles later, if you know what I mean. The intriguing thing about the ‘12 is the extremely low miles although time may still require replacement of age items like belts, etc. I do not know any work history on the ‘12.
Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
347 Posts
TECHNICALLY, isn't that same for ANY older cars out of warranty? (Are the dealer going to warranty the '12?)
Heck TB on that 12 can go as you drive it out of the dealership and blow up your engine. :)
45K may mean that the car has been sitting for a LONG time between drives and the drives were very short which isn't good for the engine. I would take 85K highway miles than 45K local traffic.

Maybe you can negotiate TB work into the '12 purchase?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TECHNICALLY, isn't that same for ANY older cars out of warranty? (Are the dealer going to warranty the '12?)
Heck TB on that 12 can go as you drive it out of the dealership and blow up your engine. :)
45K may mean that the car has been sitting for a LONG time between drives and the drives were very short which isn't good for the engine. I would take 85K highway miles than 45K local traffic.

Maybe you can negotiate TB work into the '12 purchase?
To jiantao above, the dealership is asking $18,500 for the 2012 with the 45K. Way high. But low miles. Yes, you are correct, the TB is a concern. I have not contacted them to ask for work history. My ‘09 has the proverbial piston ring thing and is leaking oil onto the spark plug in one cylinder. The check engine light comes on for a day or two then disappears for a week or two. It has been a great vehicle and would only consider another Odyssey because I now know to muzzle the sucker. I’m kinda sorta leaning towards muzzling, giving it a Seafoam bath, then an Italian tuneup and see what happens.

·
Registered
347 Posts
To jiantao above, the dealership is asking $18,500 for the 2012 with the 45K. Way high. But low miles. Yes, you are correct, the TB is a concern. I have not contacted them to ask for work history. My ‘09 has the proverbial piston ring thing and is leaking oil onto the spark plug in one cylinder. The check engine light comes on for a day or two then disappears for a week or two. It has been a great vehicle and would only consider another Odyssey because I now know to muzzle the sucker. I’m kinda sorta leaning towards muzzling, giving it a Seafoam bath, then an Italian tuneup and see what happens.
That is a LOT.. I just did quick search on cars.com near my area (Philly) and one can get 2016 EXL with 55k certified one for $22,500 (asking) which you will get 2 years of powertrain warranty (7yr 100k powertrain comes with certified used) of which 1 year is bumper to bumper.
Heck, there is 2015 EXL with 44K miles asking $17K if you are ok without warranty.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is a LOT.. I just did quick search on cars.com near my area (Philly) and one can get 2016 EXL with 55k certified one for $22,500 (asking) which you will get 2 years of powertrain warranty (7yr 100k powertrain comes with certified used) of which 1 year is bumper to bumper.
Heck, there is 2015 EXL with 44K miles asking $17K if you are ok without warranty.
That’s just it. The dealership is probably thinking someone will just consider the low miles and not the fact that 9-10 years causes a lot of dry rot of hoses, struts, etc. On the flip side I keep reading here that the newer models don’t have that Honda quality like years past.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Tires are tires, and if you need them, it should be obvious. Regarding your shocks and struts, and depending on where you live, they can last forever. Does your van bounce around. or was the recommendation based on time and mileage. The fluids should be changed, but you don't have to do it all at once.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tires are tires, and if you need them, it should be obvious. Regarding your shocks and struts, and depending on where you live, they can last forever. Does your van bounce around. or was the recommendation based on time and mileage. The fluids should be changed, but you don't have to do it all at once.
Marvin, and all, thanks for all the input. Tires will be needed sooner than later. I’m told the shocks leak but it still drives smooth with no bouncing. Fluids are ‘dirty’ says the independent shop. I do believe fluids are the lifeblood of any vehicle so I will probably get those done, slap on some decent rubber and keep on keeping on till it demands to go to Ody heaven.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,301 Posts
On the flip side I keep reading here that the newer models don’t have that Honda quality like years past.
This is true, but the 4th gen models were still not too bad, especially in comparison to the 5th gen.

·
Registered
275 Posts
$18,500 for the 2012 with the 45K. Way high. But low miles.
Like other said, low miles mean squat. It's still a 9 year old car. I was at the same boat as yours at some point. I'd say find a good 2009 or 2010 just to replace what you have. Cheaper too. The 4th gen's value somehow is much lower than the 3rd gen when I was looking around in my area.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,301 Posts
The 4th gen's value somehow is much lower than the 3rd gen when I was looking around in my area.
"somehow"

Because the 3rd gen is considered by some to be the last mostly bulletproof Odyssey that was made.

Reactions: MrRangerZr1

·
Registered
347 Posts
"somehow"

Because the 3rd gen is considered by some to be the last mostly bulletproof Odyssey that was made.
3rd gen is getting long in the teeth at this point. (2005-2010, correct? 2007 and up gets new tranny from Ridgeline)
Of course, non-touring had the venerable 5speed auto until 2013 model so there is that though.
Is 6-speed really that much worse than the 5speed (from Ridgeline) in reliability? (which was in touring starting 2011 and all others in 2014-2017)
My '06 5speed is still going strong after 170+k without much issues (knock on wood) and it is considered inferior to the 07 and up tranny.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Bama, you may want to find another mechanic, as it almost sound like he's trying to gen up business and scare you.

I'd wait till Costco has a sale on tires, and at the same time, you can start the search for another van. Remember, your van does have high mileage, and as you suspect, it won't last forever. But you could probably get another year or two of trouble free driving.

Again, fluids can wait.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
I currently have a 2009 EX-L with 251,xxx, non-muzzled. The Indy shop says new engine or drive it till it dies. Needs tires, shocks, and all fluids. Considering a 2012 EX-L one owner with only 45,xxx instead of putting $$$ into the 2009 because I fear a tranny or engine failure soon. Needless to say I’m not loaded in money so a new vehicle is out of the question. Opinion anyone?
What is wrong with the van now?

Don't just go by what a shop says. Look with your own eyes and see whats wrong. I seen 3rd gen VCM vans go 350k+ miles. 08-10 trans are very robust.

And always keep calm and watch my videos you'll be good lol

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,301 Posts
My '06 5speed is still going strong after 170+k without much issues (knock on wood) and it is considered inferior to the 07 and up tranny.
My '06 is still kicking too with zero transmission issues.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts