Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On 2 of our previous newer cars with all of these electronics, the battery has left us stranded in parking lots with no warning at all. I'm used to cars from the 1980's that give you signs like a slow cranking, etc. But these newer cars just died after a previous strong start. We don't just take short trips btw. And we don't run the entertainment system with the engine off.

Perhaps the NC heat is too hard on batteries also, with our summer temps over 90 from May to August.

I'm thinking maybe I should go ahead and change my 2016 Elite battery before summer arrives?

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
My 2011 LX has a battery management system that seems pretty accurate, which was a big surprise to me.

Many years ago, I started getting a warning message of something like "change batt." I measured voltages, convinced myself everything was good with the battery and charging system, learned on here how to reset the monitoring system, etc. to make the message go away. Then within 6 months the battery truly was unable to hold a real charge and needed replacement. I was very impressed and surprised, conlcuding that this system had correctly predicted the future based on voltage trends or whatever it does.

So, assuming they still have the same system on the 2016, I expect the car will warn you with a few months to spare when your battery starts to go. Given the variability in how long batteries seem to last, no I would not do a pre-emptive replacement unless there are other factors.

BTW - I have also found that the battery management system can be thrown off when swapping good batteries between cars, which is something I do sometimes as a debugging step. So in those cases, reset is required, and the warning messages deserve to be ignored.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
When I'm out west for the winter, I take my van in the the local Honda dealer for an oil change and they do their "thing" under the hood for it's once a year dealer visit. ( I do the rest at home) They once alerted me that the battery was weak..... I took it to Walmart and replaced it under the warranty I had on it.
Find someone with a "load tester" which puts the battery under a load at that will tell you it's condition.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I am over 5 years with the OEM battery and it is still testing good. I put it on a maintainer every so often though, so maybe that helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Perhaps the NC heat is too hard on batteries also, with our summer temps over 90 from May to August.
I'm thinking maybe I should go ahead and change my 2016 Elite battery before summer arrives?
Alabama heat here, I replace batteries every 3 years regardless. Way better to do on your schedule in your garage than getting a call from your wife. For both of our vehicles that take conventional batteries in size 24F , I use the NAPA Legend Premium 24F from the Napa stores. Top rated by consumers reports battery life testing in 2019. Made by East Penn, same as Deka and AC Delco in this size.

On our 2011, the OEM original battery lasted 3 years, second battery from Advance lasted 3.5 years, died coincident with alternator, not sure which was the cause. Those two incidents got me to change to 3 year interval for both Odys and 06 Pilot. Also, consider replacing alternator about 140k miles if it hasnt died. Both 06 Pilot and 11 Odys lost alternators between 125k and 150k, very similar J35 engines.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
6 years in my OEM Vette battery and that's in AZ where the garage hits 99 in the summer. It's on a tender when I'm gone.

The Honda dealer tested out my 3 year old replacement Walmart battery on Friday.... all good!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Change battery every 4 years. Use Costco. (y) Not worth the inconvenience of "dead" battery. Which usually happens at the "worst" time.:mad: Thought about purchasing "lithium" portable battery pack, but then I have to remember to charge it every few months. :mad:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I always thought 4-5 years was the interval to change. Most of my batteries died around 5 years old in my experience. In any case, I always keep a portable battery in my trunk in case it does die unexpectedly.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
That's the secret to a long lived battery... but hard to do on a daily driver.
-Charlie
Something almost as good, that is possible on cars parked outside is to install a small solar panel charger. I've done that on a couple of my lesser-used cars, including the '99 Odyssey EX after we got the 2011. Does not take much to keep it topped up, and led to very reliable starting and long battery life.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I pre-emptively changed our battery at four years, eight months. We had a very serious cold snap coming and I wasn't willing to risk having the battery strand my wife and kids somewhere. I was getting signs that the battery was weakening though. The van always started but even when it was parked inside our insulated attached garage (where the temperature rarely drops very far below freezing), the cranking started to slow down from what we used to get - it was noticeable.

·
Registered
400 Posts
As many others have mentioned in this thread already, I also change preemptively to avoid being stranded or otherwise hassled/delayed. I perform the swap at the expiration of the battery warranty, even though it would still be under the "pro-rated" coverage window.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Got one from Walmart with the 5 years warranty after it left us out during my birthday 4 years ago. Got to the restaurant fine, went we got everyone in the van...it didn't do anything, got a jump by the guy sent by the insurance and was able to reach Walmart a replacement. It finally started to show signs of weakness at the 3 years + mark. Took it to Walmart and got a free replacement. South Florida heat ain't easy on these batteries.

·
Registered
3 Posts
my '99 Mazda Miata still has the original battery, the car is over 21 years old. So batteries can last. Although this one will probably finally need to be replaced this year as I'm noticing slow cranking. Great made in Japan car and made in Japan battery (Panasonic). I know this doesn't compare to a modern car loaded with electronics like our Odysseys. Get the battery load tested if it eases your mind, dealers usually do this even when bringing in the car for just an oil change so that might be a low cost way to get it analyzed.

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
I always keep a portable battery in my trunk in case it does die unexpectedly.
Do you mean a jumper box? It will start a car with a good but discharged battery, but it won't start a car with a dead battery.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Our last 2 batteries on our 2010 LX have failed at 2.5 years each. First replacement was from AutoZone. Second was from Firestone. Interestingly enough, my truck's AutoZone battery is still good at 6+ years, and that includes sitting without a battery tender with only a once-a-month ride around the block while I was deployed for a year.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Do you mean a jumper box? It will start a car with a good but discharged battery, but it won't start a car with a dead battery.
Yep, the jumper box. Couldn't think of the right term. Portable battery is what you use to charge your phone, haha.

I've actually never tried it. I bought it after I accidentally killed my own battery while on a trip.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I went thru the same thing with my old 2011 Ody. Replaced the battery with a larger capacity Deka battery. We were doing a lot of traveling and I did not want to be stranded again so I purchased a NOCO Boost Plus GB40 1000 Amp 12 volt UltraSafe Portable Lithium Car Batter Jump Starter. I have never had to use it on the old Ody, but I still carry it all the time in the new to me 2016 Ody. Have used it to help out others several times and it has always got them started. You have to leave it hooked to their battery for about 5 minutes before they attempt to start their car. Have also used it to "jump" my garden tractor. I was getting about 4 years on the old ody before the batteries bit the dust. I think they would last a lot longer if we refrained from operating the rear door openers when the car was not running! I think one of the battery packs are a must have if you do a lot of traveling. They take up very little room, fitting right under a seat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts