Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 EXL-Res that has a broken side view mirror housing on the driver side. The side view mirror is in place and fully functional but the black housing was cracked when backing out of the garage. I see the housing part online at bernardihonda for about $30 dollars or so but I am trying to see if there is a way to replace the housing without removing the whole assembly or the inside door panel.

Anyone have experience yet replacing just the housing on side view mirror? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same question, passenger side

Hello,

I am wondering how you solved your broken mirror housing problem? Did you do it yourself? I have the same problem but on the passenger side. I was also thinking that I could just take the mirror off and replace the broken housing with a the $30 replacement. I suspect it might be easy, but I have not yet found instructions.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Were you able to fix the housing by yourself? I'm currently in the process of replacing the complete housing shell and mirror, but have come to a wiring issue. I have removed the door panel, disconnected the wiring, removed the bolts that secure the passenger side mirror/housing, and took the piece apart. (My housing cracked and mirror shattered. Camera and where you would snap your mirror still work.) I can't thread the wiring through where the bolts are attached. I don't want to cut the wires, because i need them. And I can't go the opposite direction to disconnect because there's a cylinder in the housing area that holds the wires and mirror in place.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 EXL-Res that has a broken side view mirror housing on the driver side. The side view mirror is in place and fully functional but the black housing was cracked when backing out of the garage. I see the housing part online at bernardihonda for about $30 dollars or so but I am trying to see if there is a way to replace the housing without removing the whole assembly or the inside door panel.

Anyone have experience yet replacing just the housing on side view mirror? Thanks in advance.
[/QUOTE

Any update? I am trying to figure out of it is possible to replace the upper housing in my 2016 exl without removing the mirror.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
it looks like it's all held together with snaps, and a single screw that is accessible after the scalp is removed (painted part) so it should be doable on the van, but might be awkward. If you already have the replacement part, it should be evident how it is held together.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is super helpful for removing the entire assembly, but I am hoping to get some insight on replacing the housing only, which requires either cutting the wiring harness or cutting the housing around where the wiring harness passes through a hole in the lower housing. Maybe I'll just have to go at this on my own and post here what my solution was - but right now it is looking like maybe having the dealer do it.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can replace just the housing and the mirror and save several hundred dollars in the process. I just did this on my 2014 and it took me about an hour. Here are a few tricks to save some time and avoid cutting the bottom of the housing or the wires.

1. It is not necessary to remove the entire door panel molding if you do not need to unplug the mirror harness. There is one nut (of 4) which mounts the mirror assembly to the door that the main door molding obstructs. I removed all the fasteners and popped the upper left hand corner of the panel loose so I could maneuver a socket onto that nut. The only reason I took the entire housing loose from the door was to allow me to get a tool on the torx screws which hold the spring assembly in place. You maybe able to avoid removing these fasteners all together if you have a shallow enough torx driver. (my ratchet hit the door on the back two)

2. To get the harness through hole in the spring assembly is the trickiest part. To do this you will need to de-pin the connectors. I'll do my best to explain this. There are a lot of you tube videos out there about "re-pinning harnesses" that can help if this description isn't good enough. The trick is to go slow, keep track of what wire went where (I take lots of pictures), and don't force them! If you are doing it correctly the wires will come out very easily.

The two connectors for the mirror actuator are the simplest to remove. Simply pinch the wire at the crimp and rock it gently toward you with the terminal facing up.

The heated mirror connector requires a tool to remove the spades from the housing. I used a jewelers screw driver. Insert the screw driver into the slot above each terminal and push down while gently pulling the wire from the back of the connector.

The camera harness is the most difficult to de-pin. They do make special tools for taking this one apart which make things very simple; but at the very least you will need a dental pick and a set of jewelers screw drivers. Use the dental pick to remove the white retainer from the inside of the pin housing. Once this piece is out, you can insert the screw driver above each pin, pry down gently on the plastic while pulling the wire from the back of the connector. They should slide out with little force. If a wire/pin does not come out easily, readjust the screw driver blade and start again. If you want to try this, watch some youtube videos on harness re-pinning before you start because I know that my description above is not going to do it justice.

Once the connectors are off the harness, it easily passes through the hole in the mirror spring.

To re-pin the actuator connectors just work in reverse of the procedure above. To re-pin the mirror heat, just push the spades into the back of the connector (you should feel a little click when it locks in) and give a gentle tug to confirm. To re-pin the camera harness, simply push the wires back into the pin housing and reinstall the white plastic retainer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts