Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replace Bulb in A/C Display

Can anyone direct me to instructions on replacing the bulb on the A/C Display for a 2002 EX-L? I'm hoping there are instructions available similar to the clock light replacement listed on this board. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have the same problem. I don't drive the van at night much so I keep forgetting about it!

·
Registered
317 Posts
It's a similar, if not the same, bulb to the one in the clock. Stick your fingers in between where the steering column meets the plastic trim that surrounds your radio, A/C controls, etc. Pull straight towards yourself and the whole trim piece will just pop loose. now that you have it loose, disconnect all the harnesses connected to the clock, A/C controls, hazard lights, etc.

Now I believe there is a black plastic cover over the back of the A/C controls. Remove this cover (either by prying little plastic clips out of the way or screws... I can't remember, but it's not hard) Once this cover is removed, you can see the rear of the bulb, just twist it out and twist in your new one.

I'm not 100% sure on the plastic cover thing. I took mine apart and soldered in an LED so I don't remember if you can access the bulb or not to just do a straight bulb swap without removing the cover.

Sorry, hope this helps.

·
Registered
14,792 Posts
Ok, let's try this again. i just typed a whole post with detailed instructions, a link to a picture of the climate control and the part numbers even. Then lost my internet connection. All this has been posted before, but every time a new member comes here looking for this information, they refer to the panel differently. These are the search terms:

Climate control lamp or bulb
A/C lamp or bulb
heater display
and finally the way Honda refers to it:
Heater Control (auto)

As Igobuk says, the preferred Odyclub dash removal method is to shift into D1, and get your fingers behind there and yank. Hard!
Then you remove all the connectors. No worries, they are all different and will only go back where they came from. Depending on your model year and options, they include:
Interior light master switch
Airbag off indicator
Fog lamps
Two connected to the heater control unit. And one to the rear dial.

At this point I moved to the bench to lay it down. I also removed the plastic back (six screws, the center bottom two hold the circuit board down and do not need to be removed) as the lamps will do their 1/4 turn but not come out without doing so.
The cheap lamps from Radio Shack shown in the clock lamp replacement thread will not work. The lamps for the climate control are different sizes and most have colored sleeves so they match the dash. Here is a picture of the heater control for EX's:

http://www.bernardiparts.com/SearchResults.aspx?SearchType=Model&Image=14S0X0_008_0002.GIF

There are four different bulbs listed. This is the number for the backlight of display itself. It has a black base and is small with a blue sleeve: 79673-S84-A42-010

Another bulb with a white base that is larger (I bought it by mistake but I think it is for the dials): 79672-S84-A41-009

I will update this post soon as my temp dial light is now out. I hope the wrong lamp I already have is the one. You (and I) will soon know.

Ok, I just replaced the temp lamp and it is indeed the second lamp part number listed. There are two lamps for the temp control, i still need another.

The third number: 79671-S84-A41-008

is for the bottom row of buttons. There are two. They have a white base and are smaller.

The fourth lamp listed in the Barnardi link above is for the rear control. It's number is: 79670-S0X-A01-007

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks, egads. I am watching with interest, as I noticed last night that there is no light coming from behind the climate control LCD on the Ody I just bought.

·
Registered
290 Posts
this may sound "stupid"... when my a/c bulb went out...

i gave strong 3 punches on dash board and it came back.. lol

same thing for clock bulb/...

true story

·
Registered
14,792 Posts
drenicky79 said:
Thanks, egads. I am watching with interest, as I noticed last night that there is no light coming from behind the climate control LCD on the Ody I just bought.
The part number I listed first is the one you need. Or try punching it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, I tried the punching thing this afternoon, and it did not work.

Thanks for the part numbers. I will try replacing the bulb next, and report back with the results.

·
Registered
14,792 Posts
After taking mine out again today to replace the temp dial lamp, the display quit working! So tomorrow I get to take it apart again. On a positive note, the display on the microwave in the kitchen started working again:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am confused. when you look at the table under the .gif for this page (doesn't show up unless you acutaly navigate to it). These are the part numbers for the bulbs, and they don't match up to the ones on this posting.

Which one is it that is for the LCD.

79670-S0X-A01 007_2 Honda BULB, NEO-WEDGE 1 $3.15 $2.27
79671-S84-A41 008_2 Honda BULB, NEO-WEDGE 2 $3.73 $2.69
79672-S84-A41 009_2 Honda BULB, NEO-WEDGE 3 $4.10 $2.95
79673-S84-A42 010_2 Honda BULB, NEO-WEDGE 1 $5.62 $4.04

Just for kicks, I called the dealer and they told me that you couldn't just by the bulb, it was part of the LCD, and that you could't by the LCD it was part of the whole system, and that was 500 bucks. My local dealer is terrible and this just proved it once again.

Thanks,

·
Registered
14,792 Posts
dsvandyk said:
I am confused. when you look at the table under the .gif for this page (doesn't show up unless you acutaly navigate to it). These are the part numbers for the bulbs, and they don't match up to the ones on this posting.

Which one is it that is for the LCD.

79670-S0X-A01 007_2 Honda BULB, NEO-WEDGE 1 $3.15 $2.27 Rear control
79671-S84-A41 008_2 Honda BULB, NEO-WEDGE 2 $3.73 $2.69 Buttons
79672-S84-A41 009_2 Honda BULB, NEO-WEDGE 3 $4.10 $2.95 Knobs (temp & fan)
79673-S84-A42 010_2 Honda BULB, NEO-WEDGE 1 $5.62 $4.04 Display

Just for kicks, I called the dealer and they told me that you couldn't just by the bulb, it was part of the LCD, and that you could't by the LCD it was part of the whole system, and that was 500 bucks. My local dealer is terrible and this just proved it once again.

Thanks,
Ok I added in the quote from your post what each lamp is for. Perhaps you should order from an on-line source. To make shipping worthwhile, order some wiper blades, a cabin and engine air filter.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Egads! I'll order the parts and give it a try. I originally tried searching for a thread, but with any search engine you need to figure out the correct search words.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Backlight bulb part number

egads on 11/29/06: said:
There are four different bulbs listed. This is the number for the
backlight of display itself. It has a black base and is small with a
blue sleeve: 79673-S84-A41
Later posted by egads on 12/15/06:
79673-S84-A42 010_2 Honda BULB, NEO-WEDGE 1 $5.62
$4.04 Display
Thanks to egads for his detailed instructions. This is really a 5
minute task. The hardest part is "yanking" off the dash panel. It
comes free all at once.

Note the two backlight part numbers above are different:

79673-S84-A41 on 11/29/06
79673-S84-A42 on 12/15/06

The first number (ending A41) doesn't appear on the parts list for
the Odyssey -- but it is a valid Honda part number. I don't know
if there's a difference, but the Odyssey part is the second part
(ending A42). It is #10 on the Bernardi diagram and there is only
one bulb.

Tomas_2
(Original Tomas ID is inop)

·
Registered
14,792 Posts
Thanks for catching that. I edited the first post to reflect more complete part numbers. The part number you question is for the rear control. I'm not sure if it matters whether you use an A01 or an A02 But I had left off the suffix, 007

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finally got around to fixing the AC light bulb issue after about a year with it out. I ended up getting it fixed through my local dealership since the dealership covered the repair with my Hondacare Warranty.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi, My A/C light also just went out a few days ago and want to put a led. Do I just solder both led wires to where the byt is suppose to connect. Also, does it matter what size the led is. Hope to hear from someone soon.
Thanks
Puneshop

·
Registered
14,792 Posts
I still don't understand why you want to mess with this for a lamp that costs under $6.00
However, if you really do, then send a private message to the guy who did it. Certainly he knows exactly how.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.