Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
h'lo all,
I've got a '97 Ody.
A while back, the lower heat shield under the catalytic converter came off (corrosion). A dealer said it wasn't all that necessary to replace. Now, the upper heat shield has died as well. I've removed it.
I can get replacement heat shields - about $40 each from Honda - or get a new aftermarket cat converter w/heat shields for about the same price.
Which way you would go, or would you even worry with it?
many thanks in advance

·
Registered
455 Posts
The upper and lower heat shields on my converter fell off during this past summer due to slight corrosion too.

I'm really not worried about it. If I'm bored one day, I will put Exhaust Wrap around it, just because I have about 100 ft of it that I'm not currently using. I don't think it's really necessary though.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Williemeyers, I would be cautious about using any aftermarket cat converter on your Ody since it is ODB2. From my own experience and after researching on the web, Hondas from '96 up (OBD2) often won't accept an aftermarket converter. The secondary O2 sensor will reject the readings coming through it if it isn't exactly like what Honda has programmed. I personally experienced this with my previous '99 Honda CR-V. The cat on it became loose internally but was still acting fine and never gave any codes. So I decided to get it replaced (due to vibration noise)with a well known aftermarket cat for around $200. As soon as it was replaced the check engine light came on and sure enough the code was related to the converter. They replaced it with another one and same code came up. I then researched and found many others with this situation. Honda apparently puts very tight parameters on how the cat should perform. My solution was to remove the check engine bulb since nothing was being harmed and it never affected driveability. Sorry for the length but just FYI. A quick fix used on the Honda CR-V forums is to take some metal strapping and wrap it around the shield and fasten it which makes it quiet again.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'm not disagreeing with Robert, but I bought a cheap aftermarket converter on ebay and bolted it up in July of '08. Since then (and about 9,000 miles), I've had no Check Engine Light come up.

Maybe I'm just lucky...

I had to replace my whole exhaust system from the converter to the tailpipe because it was literally falling apart from rust corrosion. The stock converter on my '96 looked like an old piece of ammunition that was corroding from salt water! You could easily crush any part of the exhaust *and converter* with your bare hands if you squeezed it.

I guess my Ody hasn't thrown a Check Engine Light yet just because it's happy to have a brand new exhaust system :D

·
Registered
947 Posts
If you decide to actually get the new cat then I would simply suggest that you research that particular brand on the internet. See how it does in Hondas. Couldn't hurt. I am still for saving money since your current cat is obviously working and just put a strap around it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you do go and replace the converter, sell the old one on ebay -- old import cats (with the insides intact) often go for a lot of money. You have to list it as 'for recycling' and cut off the flanges for EPA purposes. It can offset much or all of the new converters cost.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts