Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Replace one tire of same make/model?

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  surgeon 
#1 ·
hello - Managed to find a nail in one tire,which by the tire mechanics explanation, worked its way into the sidewall and blew out the tire completely. The 2006 Odyssey EX-L has three other good condition (evenly worn) Cooper CS-4 tires - about 50% worn. After putting a brand new CS-4 on as replacement (in the back - same location as the 'blown' tire), the car seems to pull a little bit. ...as if slightly out of alignment. We just had the car aligned approx 1 week prior to the blowout. Could this slight pull be due to the 'bigger' new tire? if so, should we be replacing the other tire on the back as well, to 'level-out' the alignment? thanks for any insight!

#2 ·
Adjust tire pressure till you get the result you want. such as higher on one side and lower on the other. I would raise the one on the side thats pulling and lower on the other side. You should be able to do this with a 10-15 psi difference. Replace all tires when time comes due and add puncture warranty. Typically they replace two at a time.

#3 ·
please check with someone who are trained in tires & brakes..braking in dry or wet conditions with a vast difference in air pressure on the same auto could have VERY BAD results....wrecking,,,tire overheating (low air pressure) loss of traction on wet roads ect.. NOT A GOOD IDEA.....joncar

#5 ·
It's considered best practice to replace both. But you aren't going to see a lot of difference in the rear during the summer with a 10 psi change.

#7 · (Edited)
Tire got hit at sidewall. Another curb incident by wife. The rim is fine, luckily sidewall tire damage only. Pepboys said not fixable = sidewall center. The tires (1+ yr old) came with car when I purchased and I do not have the receipt available. I think they got these at Kelly Tires somewhere, but warranty probably would not apply to me anyway.

All the Goodyear Assurance 3Tred tires are at 6/32. Wondering if I should 1 good same tire at 160+ or get 2 from Walmart that would wear faster but I get a pair.

Douglas All-Season $89+, Kumho SOLUS TA11 $97+

Thx.

#8 ·
Get a new pair. The different wear on a pair of new and worn could affect handling. Also, it could put additional strain on the differential if mounted up front.

Dave

#9 · (Edited)
Update. Got a new pair of Douglas at Walmart on Fri. I drove them for a bit on the weekend. These are 45k warranty and I measured them at 7/32 or was it 8. The van driver little quieter since these are new. When its time I can change all 4.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.