Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tonight we pulled out of the car wash and the TPMS light came on. I thought "what'd the car wash screw up and how?" 5 seconds later I knew the right front was flat. I put the spare on (great time to show one of the boys the basics of a tire change) and we drove the 55 miles distance home. Now I'm wondering is it safe to just put the spare back for future needs or is the donut tire (not the rim) supposed to be a disposable, one-use item?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I would not re-use it after only 55 miles of use.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Obviously, you don't live near a city such as Detroit where some folks driving beaters seem to think these donuts are permanent tires . . .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Donut tires are "normal" in the fact that they can be used more than once. As long as there are no visible cracks or other damage to the tire you should be fine in stowing it back in the van for future use. The trick with those tires is to not exceed the top speed of them and to make sure that they have the correct air pressure while in use. Both of those will cause excess heat build up and that is what kills tires.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
curiousgeorge2 said:
I would not re-use it after only 55 miles of use.
One has to ask why. We had to drive on ours for about for 80 miles. After removal we gave it a quick washdown with a hose, a coat of Armor All for Tires, and back in the underfloor storage compartment. Still looks like new.

OF

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have never heard of a spare donut tire being one use and throwing away. Why would you do that? I see no reason why it can't be used for the life of the car, as long as it is in good condition. It is a SPARE, and not for primary use. I would put it back in the spare compartment, check it occasionally for proper air inflation and use it as needed.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pjs97talon said:
Donut tires are "normal" in the fact that they can be used more than once. As long as there are no visible cracks or other damage to the tire you should be fine in stowing it back in the van for future use. The trick with those tires is to not exceed the top speed of them and to make sure that they have the correct air pressure while in use. Both of those will cause excess heat build up and that is what kills tires.
Basically what I figured. It is a real tire. Not a real big or real durable tire, but a real tire. However I figured it couldn't hurt to make sure. After all, experiencing flat tires isn't my daily job.

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you check the owner's manual, you'll note that the spare tire has wear bars in the tread, just like your full-sized tires do. It says you're supposed to replace the spare when the wear bars start showing. That's going to take a LOT more than 55 miles.

Typically, I'd expect the tire to rot away before the tread wore out, assuming you take care of a flat promptly and don't drive far on the spare. I've only used mine for three miles.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
jmg, most of our queries were directed to CuriousGeorge. Just wondering if he has information we are not privy to.

ElChichicuilote is right, info regarding spare tire usage is in the owner's manual...I forgot about that and its verbiage on the wear bars.

I'm also one of those on the forums who has a full-size spare in each Ody for towing.

OF

1 - 10 of 10 Posts