Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a slightly loose front splash shield caught on some deep snow while backing up, and twisted half of itself into a pretzel. What with one thing and another, including having to work in an icy driveway at 20 degrees, I ended up just tearing it off.

Is it worth replacing the splash shield? Why? I know some cars have critical airflow and cooling issues, or other reasons the shield isn't optional, but a seriously aging Ody?

And, okay, if it's necessary, I see it's only about $50 for a shield and fasteners, delivered. Does anyone have a parts list — shield, body fasteners and the rubber strip thingy at the front?

Thanks, both ways...

· Registered
1,410 Posts

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,290 Posts
Have you looked into getting one from a junkyard?

but a seriously aging Ody?
As for this, I'm going to quote what I said to someone else the other day:
I'm not really a huge fan of the idea that just because a vehicle is old it shouldn't be taken care of.
I don't care if a vehicle is worth $1, if it's been reliable in service for you, it's worth taking care of, regardless of the age or mileage. I'm a believer in the idea that you get out of a car precisely what you put into it, and this is the principle I follow with all of my vehicles, because of which none of them have ever had any major repairs or problems.

· Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
2,016 Posts
^ true, I agree with WiiMaster, and follow the same principle (especially with mechanical items) but the exterior of my cars show their age for the most part... probably because they're never garaged and parked on the street. The splash shield is not a critical part. That being said, you're more prone to having road debris hitting something while you're driving, potentially damaging something. If you don't ever encounter road debris, you're golden, but that's probably easier said than done. If you plan on keeping the car for a bit longer, I'd probably replace it.

Reactions: WiiMaster

· Registered
431 Posts
splash shield keeps dirt, water rats and cats away from engine compartment... mostly.... maybe, some. but still better then nothing at all. Better to have in installed.
I assume, that you mean bottom engine shield just behind the bumper? like on picture #9:
Font Auto part Circle Event Diagram

Click on picture - it's a link.
also clips. I can't believe that there are 3 type of clips!!!! overengineering!!!
clip 19 (link)
clip 20 (link)
clip 22 (link)

without proper specs on the clips, it's hard to know their proper dimensions, unless you have the old ones and can measure them.
It's cheaper to get aftermarket ones from "other sources".

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, all.

First, I do keep my vehicles fully repaired, even cosmetically. I wouldn't have even asked the question about a functional or cosmetic repair. But specifically, whatever role the (invisible) splash shield plays — my question was whether it mattered enough, probably 3/4 or more through vehicle life, to replace.

I'm leaning towards replacing it — it's cheap repair, no need to go scavenge in a U-Pull-It — but not until spring at least. Parts list/grams appreciated.

As for road debris... on the way to the appointment I had to do this tear-off to be able to drive to, a concrete truck lost a fist-sized chunk ahead of me. It hit somewhere in the middle of the underside and sounded like I'd driven over a mine. Was waiting for brakes to fade, flames to start trailing behind me or the floorpan to fall out... but it did no (noticeable) damage. So maybe a little insurance for all the delicate stuff up front is a good idea. :)

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there any diagram or list that has QUANTITIES of the body clips? I threw away the ruined pieces and can't count holes, and the diagrams aren't clear which holes need which clips. Arrgh. :)

· Registered
2010 EX-L
5,467 Posts
Is there any diagram or list that has QUANTITIES of the body clips? I threw away the ruined pieces and can't count holes, and the diagrams aren't clear which holes need which clips. Arrgh. :)
The nylon plastic fasteners are so cheap, I would just buy a bag of 80 for about $7-10 and be done with it. Check Amazon. I think you may need both 8 mm and 10 mm; so perhaps you buy 80 of each. Should last you a long time. I'm constantly replacing mine; I never reuse them.

For example:

• Helpful
Reactions: wwdwgs

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
click on the diagram above and links for each clip, opened links will say how many of each.
Um, not that I see. The links just go to "10 for $X" entries and I don't think there's 10 clips on the whole install.

I'll figure it out with whoever I buy the shield from.

As for bags of 100... I am at the point where I've stopped buying lotsa bulk stuff because I might use it someday. Have been weeding out such bulk for several years now. :) I'd rather spend a tad more and just get what I need, at this nickel and dime level.

· Registered
06 EXL 175k, 09 180k
48 Posts
I drove without a splash shield for a year, and subsequently blew holes in the radiator hoses. This, and other components, are protected by the splash guard.
I purchased a replacement from Amazon for ~$30 (search "HO1228104").

If you run out of fasteners, just use zip ties.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I drove without a splash shield for a year, and subsequently blew holes in the radiator hoses. This, and other components, are protected by the splash guard.
I purchased a replacement from Amazon for ~$30 (search "HO1228104").

If you run out of fasteners, just use zip ties.
I'm convinced, I'm convinced! :) Mark the answer to the question "Yes, absolutely replace it."

I had some shop wire on a back corner where a fastener went missing. Zip ties won't work in most of the holes where there's no way to loop around. I'll just buy the 10-packs; cheap enough.

Thanks again, all!

Reactions: ody495615
1 - 12 of 12 Posts