Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks, Our 2003 ody with 119000 miles is overdue for timing belt, water pump, motor mounts and probably passenger drive half-axle. I received a trade-in value of only $200 (Yes. Two hundred). I guess I can get close to $1500 but will probably need to do the above mentioned. It has served as well with no transmission issues and we can probably use it for another 5 years as a backup vehicle if we get timing belt and other stuff done.

What would you do if you were me? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Depends. If you have to pay full retail on the work that needs done then probably let it go. I can get a TB (WP, tensioner, etc.) done for $380, but if you are paying $9-1,100 plus the other work it may not be worth it. OTOH, even if you are paying $2K for everything that needs done and you really need the extra car then $2K likely doesn't buy you anything that doesn't already need that much work too.

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
If your replacement car would lack the cargo- or people-carrying capabilities of the Ody, and you need those, it would be worthwhile to do the TB and keep the van as a standby.

You could always trade it, then rent a van as needed. That would cost $ of course. However, as an occasional renter, I find the inconvenience to be the bigger "cost".

Dave

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
I just had my mom replace the timing belt in her 98 Odyssey with nearly 200K. This is just regular maintenance so, to me, if there is nothing wrong with the rest of the car and you like the car, just keep fixing it and maintaining it. Go car shopping and you'll appreciate what you have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
rbhollabaugh
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing