Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks, Our 2003 ody with 119000 miles is overdue for timing belt, water pump, motor mounts and probably passenger drive half-axle. I received a trade-in value of only $200 (Yes. Two hundred). I guess I can get close to $1500 but will probably need to do the above mentioned. It has served as well with no transmission issues and we can probably use it for another 5 years as a backup vehicle if we get timing belt and other stuff done.

What would you do if you were me? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Depends. If you have to pay full retail on the work that needs done then probably let it go. I can get a TB (WP, tensioner, etc.) done for $380, but if you are paying $9-1,100 plus the other work it may not be worth it. OTOH, even if you are paying $2K for everything that needs done and you really need the extra car then $2K likely doesn't buy you anything that doesn't already need that much work too.

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
If your replacement car would lack the cargo- or people-carrying capabilities of the Ody, and you need those, it would be worthwhile to do the TB and keep the van as a standby.

You could always trade it, then rent a van as needed. That would cost $ of course. However, as an occasional renter, I find the inconvenience to be the bigger "cost".

Dave

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
I just had my mom replace the timing belt in her 98 Odyssey with nearly 200K. This is just regular maintenance so, to me, if there is nothing wrong with the rest of the car and you like the car, just keep fixing it and maintaining it. Go car shopping and you'll appreciate what you have.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I replaced ONLY the timing belt on an 01 what had 172000 on it. No leak or WP noise and only a slight amount of oily film at the tensioner. The idler felt fine. No regrets. Less than $40. Advice on the job is: Loosen the crank bolt first thing with the starter trick Buy the dampener holder tool needed for tightening down the crank bolt later. It will be a neat tool to run across in your toolbox from time to time. Make the dipstick removal first out and last in. The tube blocks access to 1 of the cover bolts just enough to be bad fun.

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Okay, the WP and tensioner look good today. But will they last until the next TB service at 300,000 miles? Maybe, maybe not. The fate of the engine hangs in the balance.

Dave

·
Registered
626 Posts
If you like the van and have use for driving it, I would just do the maintenance and continue to drive the van for the remainder of its life. I understand the trade in thing. A buddy of mine here at work was going to trade in his '03 a few years back and they wouldn't give him much. I bought it for $1000. Did a couple of maintenance things to it and I have put 80K miles on it and it now has 221K miles. Van runs just fine, no issue at all. It has a bit of rust and we will probably get a few more years out of it up towards 300K miles.

If you have a working van and can prolong the life with regular maintenance, it will be much cheaper going that route than getting a new vehicle. Eventually they will die or rust or accident will do them in, but these vans can go 20 years and 300K+ miles with high functionality.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I replaced ONLY the timing belt on an 01 what had 172000 on it. No leak or WP noise and only a slight amount of oily film at the tensioner. The idler felt fine. No regrets. Less than $40. Advice on the job is: Loosen the crank bolt first thing with the starter trick Buy the dampener holder tool needed for tightening down the crank bolt later. It will be a neat tool to run across in your toolbox from time to time. Make the dipstick removal first out and last in. The tube blocks access to 1 of the cover bolts just enough to be bad fun.
I had a scare of AT P1750 which seems to have gone away after two drain and fill with maxlife full syn ATF. Now I will replace timing belt. Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it.

Was this first ever timing belt change on your Ody? Which brand of timing belt did you use? Any links to step by step or videos you recommend? I have read/watched and forgotten it seems. Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a scare of AT P1750 which seems to have gone away after two drain and fill with maxlife full syn ATF. Now I will replace timing belt. Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it.

Was this first ever timing belt change on your Ody? Which brand of timing belt did you use? Any links to step by step or videos you recommend? I have read/watched and forgotten it seems. Thanks!
I recommend that has Aisin water pump and koyo bearing.
I used something like this, except mine has tb tensioner:
Aisin is a honda supplier without Honda brand. So you want parts like that to have good quality w/ reasonable price.
For me this is 3rd time change tb. 1 done by dealer and one by mechanic outside which I found out doing poor job on setting up the timing mark.
I am at 315k now. I replaced around 300k. The car with original transmission.

·
Registered
542 Posts
You wrote - "Howdy folks, Our 2003 ody with 119000 miles is overdue for timing belt, water pump, motor mounts and probably passenger drive half-axle. "

I must caution you, do not assume those parts need replacement. I cannot tell you the number of times mechanics, delerships tried to give me bogus quotes telling me some parts were failing or will fail or have failed. All BS lies. They were asking me to replace perfectly functioning parts.
Chances are your car requires nothing to be replaced in the foreseeable future so I would urge you to get a 2nd and a third and a 4th opinion before believing what these scammers tell you. yes, I have decided to call them all scammers because 95% of them are.

Some examples from my personal experience -

1. A decade or so ago, a shop I frequent for oil changes told me that my shocks were failing and gave me a quote for $600 to replace them including labor. Being a scrooge, I declined but went ahead and ordered the parts thinking I will have to replace them soon and avoid the markup on parts. Well, guess what? those shocks are still in my garage and shocks still working fine after 10years. An Effing lying scammer.

2. Honda of renton told me that my "rear main seal" was leaking about 8years ago and gave me a quote of about $5000 for the job. Since then I replaced the PCV valve (15min job, even my dog can do it) and then replaced the oil drain plug (20min job). No leaks. Another effing lying scammer POS

3. When my cylinders were misfiring, and i had oil leaking A "Honda master mechanic" that I came to know on FB, gave me a "Friendly" advice.. came by my house and looked and said.. I need valve adjustment and new motor mounts because he saw some oil around that area. Quote: $1700.. I did a diagnosis and found out that an ignition coil failed (15min job in my garage even my dog can do it). This was a year ago, as for my valves or motor mounts? they are just fine no problem. Another scammer..

if you look at my past postings here on this group you will see my struggles before and after and my reaction at discovering the scams.

I am so sick of these scammers and caution everyone on this group to not believe anything your "Friendly" mechanic tells you but keep seeking opinions and doing your own due diligence. Dont fall victim to scammers. Ef them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I recently changed my 03 Ody TB+pump using the Aisin kit that I bought on Amazon. I paid Eric The Car Guy $15 to download his "Honda V6 timing belt V-Manual" and it was well worth it. It's 90 minutes long and very thorough. I watched it a couple times first, and had it on my phone while I worked so I could watch a step, then do it myself, repeat.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I ran my timing belt up to 150,000 miles and then took it to my retired Honda Mechanic. $250 and no water pump needed. Think the belt cost $100. Old belt almost looked brand new, no cracking on it.
Now I'm at 240,000 and won't put in another one till 300,000 miles. Still on my original water pump.
As for the motor mounts, still on the original ones.
The motor mount by the power steering pump had some cracking, bought a $4 tube of clear silicon from Home Depot and filled it right up. Let it set for a few days if you can.
Still thinking I can get 25 years out of this van I bought 19 years ago new.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You wrote - "Howdy folks, Our 2003 ody with 119000 miles is overdue for timing belt, water pump, motor mounts and probably passenger drive half-axle. "

I must caution you, do not assume those parts need replacement. I cannot tell you the number of times mechanics, dealerships tried to give me bogus quotes telling me some parts were failing or will fail or have failed. All BS lies. They were asking me to replace perfectly functioning parts.
Chances are your car requires nothing to be replaced in the foreseeable future so I would urge you to get a 2nd and a third and a 4th opinion before believing what these scammers tell you. yes, I have decided to call them all scammers because 95% of them are.
OK, wait a second. OP didn't specify why he thinks the parts are bad, and they all have different diagnostic paths.

If, in fact, his van is on the original 2003 TB, then it genuinely is overdue. By a lot. Get that thing off the road before you bend a valve.
If the TB was done at the prescribed 7yrs/105k (probably 7yrs, based on the mileage), then the current one may be 9 yrs old. Due, but not overdue. It also may be 2 yrs old, which is definitely fine.
Lots of people, wittingly or not, run them past the 7y/105k mark with no ill effects. Seems like an expensive gamble to me. A trophy inscribed, "Eat it, Honda, I ran my timing belt TWICE as long as you said to!" is impressive to exactly no one.

Typically one would replace the water pump with the TB as preventive maintenance, as a matter of simple economics. This is of course making several assumptions, most notably that the new water pump will last at least as long as the original. Using the correct brand of parts helps this, but some people get unlucky. Assuming I was doing the TB job out of genuine need, I know what I'd do. You do you.

Motor mounts: There's no such thing as "due" for motor mounts. If they're bad, they're bad. Get under there with a flashlight and look.

Axle: Same story. No such thing as "due". If it's making noise, or the boot is damaged/gone, fix it. Otherwise, it's fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts