Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family has a 2002 EX cloth version van we bought at 37k mi back in 2005. It now has 210k miles and the tranny puked last May. We threw it into the garage thinking we could get it fixed prior to the 1st daughter turning 16 this coming May.

We did several recent things to it: all new brakes, timing belt around 140k, new slider door motor, replaced slider hardware on the other. I just started it last week and it fired right up and purred. Still runs good and we know its history of repairs etc.

Quote for a replacement transmission was $3000

Have a guy interested in buying as-is right now. Not sure what it is really worth as-is and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or opinions. I always wonder about struts, sway links, ball joints etc. going out of it and how long before a problem like that arises. We live on a gravel road in Northern MI.

TIA
Chad

·
Registered
447 Posts
How much is the guy offering for a van with a bad tranny?

The choice between taking his offer or putting in another $3000 to fix the van may
depend alot on how much he's willing to offer.

·
Registered
539 Posts
How much is the guy offering for a van with a bad tranny?

The choice between taking his offer or putting in another $3000 to fix the van may
depend alot on how much he's willing to offer.
+1, not to mention factoring in what your current vehicle needs are - you were wanting it for your daughter's first car? You may want to search for a one-owner low-miles Buick Lesabre as an option to keeping & fixing the Ody (you can probably find one for the cost of the tranny fix). I've got both a 2001 Ody and a 2001 Lesabre!

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
If the car is perfect other than the tranny then it may be worth it to fix it. I know I would fix mine if it went out. Having to buy another car for a new driver is always an unknown although I don't think I'd want my kids beating up a big van. I'm more partial to an old Civic for the new driver needs. The shocks/struts can stay unless they start to leak, you get odd tire wear and/or bad handling. My concern would be the next timing belt service depending on how long ago the last service was.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We were thinking between $1000 to $1500. Sucks cause you know that if you part it out you could prolly get $4000 to $5000. But then you would have a start to a junk yard LOL!

From his perspective that is a 4500 investment which is about $800 more than Edmunds lists it for a Private Party sale.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the car is perfect other than the tranny then it may be worth it to fix it. I know I would fix mine if it went out. Having to buy another car for a new driver is always an unknown although I don't think I'd want my kids beating up a big van. I'm more partial to an old Civic for the new driver needs. The shocks/struts can stay unless they start to leak, you get odd tire wear and/or bad handling. My concern would be the next timing belt service depending on how long ago the last service was.
Well we were thinking it would be a safer vehicle than something small and she could also help out with getting her 3 other siblings to swim practice, etc. when we need her to without a problem. We also carpool with 2 other kids into school so a 4 or 5 passenger vehicle makes it hard to do all those things without the 7 passenger capability. Although with gas at $3.69 ($0.40 jump up today..grrr) and going up - a smaller car has its advantage$.

As far as timing belt goes, I may just run this one till it dies (replaced at 140k so I have 70k on this one). I don't think I could justify dumping the $1200 in a van with this mileage/yrs. The $1200 included water pump, all new belts, valve adj (i believe). Basically they replaced whatever they can when they have it tore apart that far. He is an independent shop who used to be a Honda dealership guy. He also quoted my $4000 for the tranny replacement last May when she broke. It was a Jasper too. Not sure if it was that fair of a shake?

The local tranny guy that I got a price from was going to use a Transtar transmission Transmission Parts - Transtar Industries Inc. Anyone ever hear of them? I see Jasper and Gator mentioned here in the forums. He is a reputable shop, I just wondered if this particular tranny has any feedback.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Gas is a huge plus in the Civic (my wife and I also drive it to save money) but also maneuverability while they are still new drivers. They still learn to drive the van but the little car is a great starting place and limited power wise. Seeing you have some commuting going on then the van is helpful there but 4 fit comfortably in a small car. Being in the midst of 3 drivers aged 16 through almost 19, I see the need for the new driver to get many hours under the belt before other kids are stuck in the car that can distract the driver, just something to consider. Jasper and Gator seem to be the most talked about here but if you get a good warranty with the Transtar then why not go with them.

As for the timing belt, it's really not that hard if you have some mechanical aptitude.

·
Registered
539 Posts
We were thinking between $1000 to $1500. Sucks cause you know that if you part it out you could prolly get $4000 to $5000. . .
Sounds good. But there's no way you'd ever get $4-5K parting that thing out, no matter what. There is just not a lot of demand for 10-year-old hi-miles minivan parts - most people that drive minivans are busy with their kids and typically want a newer, reliable vehicle and they don't have time to work on their car either.

I bought a running, driving 2001 parts van similar to yours (tranny on its way out, and engine runs but with one dead cylinder) last year for, get ready, $100 (less than scrap value). Now I've got spare stuff on hand when my power sliding doors go on the fritz!

I've had lots of Civics as well and they are great first cars for the reasons mentioned above. Good luck with your decision. I'd say if you can get over $1K out of the van as-is, I'd take the cash and run!

·
Registered
447 Posts
I agree with Red, take the money. No way 4-5K parting it out. It's a van, not a S2000 sports car. The 3.5L is a great engine but with 210K it's worth maybe $500, if you're lucky.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 2000 Ody Ex with 194 K miles. It started leaking tranny fluid, so its got me nervous now. The van is in great shape for its age, but I've been thinking about replacing it, but its hard to pull the trigger on a new vehicle right now. I will have a mechanic diagnose the leak and decide what to do next. I wouldn't replace the tranny if it comes to that though. Good luck with your decision.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts