Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think I goofed by throwing money and time at the problem, as the same thing has happened to the refurbished compressor as the original, luckily its under warranty.

Did some testing, watched some videos. Pressure on the low side was past the gauge and the clutch still wouldn't engage when I dropped the pressure, even though all wiring to the clutch was intact and grounding correctly.

So I just got a refurbished compressor from autozone that came with a clutch, laboriously installed it, charged it and it was working great for 10 days until halfway to work today when it stopped blowing cold air. Upon inspection the low side was back off the gauge and dropping pressure won't engage the clutch. Havent done anything else yet.

Going to check all relays tomorrow and relay port groundings. All fuses under the hood are good. Havent checked fuses under the dash yet.

Was just wondering if anyone has had this happen.

Thanks for your time

·
Registered
644 Posts
Low side was back off gauge and dropping pressure ? As I read you are saying you have Leak ? Is that what you are saying ? Also why are you checking "all" fuses just check ones that deal with a/c system not all. Not trying to be rude just saying.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
The Autozone compressors are junk. Don’t get sucked into their lifetime warranty crap. You should get a Denso compressor.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
460 Posts
I was having a similar issue, first I had a low quality condenser go on me, it was the compressor that went next.

I suspect it was likely a bad high pressure switch that caused these items to fail, since the AC was not shutting off at high pressure.

Also, check if you have the Omron AC clutch relay, if you do, it could be sticking, also preventing the AC from shutting off when the pressure gets high.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
OP, first when the compressor is not engaging, both the low and high side pressure are the same, and on a 90 F day, the pressure should read over 100 psi on both sides.

As it sounds like you don't have a full gauge set, buy one at Harbor Freight or Amazon. Go on youtube for videos of troubleshooting AC with gauges.

Of note, if you let R134A out, you are now probably low on refrigerant, maybe so low that your compressor will never engage. But, you definitely need more AC knowledge before you can troubleshoot your system.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Low side was back off gauge and dropping pressure ? As I read you are saying you have Leak ? Is that what you are saying ? Also why are you checking "all" fuses just check ones that deal with a/c system not all. Not trying to be rude just saying.
I meant I checked the low side pressure, it was over 150psi and I released the pressure down to 40psi. I'm certain there's no leak.

Also I just meant fuses dealing with other components of the AC system besides the compressor.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Spaceody, if your lowside pressure was 150 psi with the compressor not running, and depending on how hot the engine compartment was, it may not be too far off. That said, dropping it to 40 psi, is much too low, and if the compressor does start, it will cycle on and off.

Can you see if the compressor clutch is engaging? If the clutch is not engaging, there isn't a compressor in the known universe that will work. Again, do some reading and research on AC systems.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I buy my pure 134a from Walmart for $5 a can. It's the garbage with the sealers, dyes, usually with a hose attached, that kills sick systems.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Picked up a set of gauges and both high side and low side are at 35psi. I've only used Johnsen's pure 134a with no dyes or anything. Should the condenser fan come on when I turn the AC on?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was having a similar issue, first I had a low quality condenser go on me, it was the compressor that went next.

I suspect it was likely a bad high pressure switch that caused these items to fail, since the AC was not shutting off at high pressure.

Also, check if you have the Omron AC clutch relay, if you do, it could be sticking, also preventing the AC from shutting off when the pressure gets high.
I do have an OMRON relays on the relay ports

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The compressor positive isn't causing the grounding test light to come on, checking wiring. Won't engage when I jump the circuit at the relay port

·
Registered
181 Posts
Check your wiring diagram to see what safety and other switches control power flow to compressor.

You didn't answer about vacuuming, which suggests you never did it.

Look at a T/P chart for r134a. If your system pressure with no compressor running is below the psi indicated for your ambient temp (roughly 70psi at 70F), you are really low on refrigerant.

You may need to engage some local expertise to get this done.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
460 Posts
I do have an OMRON relays on the relay ports
Make sure the AC clutch relay specifically is the one that's Omron (there are 3 black relays in that box, the one closest to the front of the van is the AC clutch relay). If it is, I'd go ahead and replace it with the Mitsuba relay.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Check your wiring diagram to see what safety and other switches control power flow to compressor.

You didn't answer about vacuuming, which suggests you never did it.

Look at a T/P chart for r134a. If your system pressure with no compressor running is below the psi indicated for your ambient temp (roughly 70psi at 70F), you are really low on refrigerant.

You may need to engage some local expertise to get this done.
I have not vacuumed the lines since before I charged the system after installing the refurbished compressor 12 days ago (it came with a clutch). Today after adding 134a and bringing it up to 50psi, then running the engine for a bit the pressure on both sides both rose to 65psi, its 68 degrees ambient temp right now.

From everything I've found on ody club and other sites there is nothing between the relay port and the clutch that should prevent jumping the circuit to engage the clutch.
Make sure the AC clutch relay specifically is the one that's Omron (there are 3 black relays in that box, the one closest to the front of the van is the AC clutch relay). If it is, I'd go ahead and replace it with the Mitsuba relay.
I'm down to try it after some more testing, but as far as I can tell when I turn on the AC there's no power getting to the relay, or the low fan speed relay for the condenser fan. Radiator fan works fine. Its raining right now but tomorrow I'm going to put power dorectly to the clutch and condenser fan to see if they work

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Seems like you are very low on refrigerant so it’s no wonder your compressor won’t come on. Also replace the AC clutch relay with a Mitsuba relay.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Seems like you are very low on refrigerant so it’s no wonder your compressor won’t come on. Also replace the AC clutch relay with a Mitsuba relay.
Well at 65 psi it should be engaging from what I understand. That's in the yellow part of the refill gauge so I don't want to go much higher on adding more coolant until the clutch will engage. I'm down to try adding more though

At this point I'm speculating a wiring issue burning out the clutch because my original compressor still rotated fine, and this refurbished compressor and clutch are doing the same thing the original did when its clutch went out

1 - 20 of 32 Posts