Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!
I am having troubles with my 2008 Honda odyssey.
My battery light came on and then my VSA came on and the ABS
And I hit the gas and I was getting RPMs but it's like I wasn't getting enough power to move the van like it normally would.
Long story short...
I have put a new battery on. New terminals
Remanufactured alternator has been put on. (I know they could be bad right out of the box) And a new serpintene belt.
But.. That all said and done. I'm having the same problems I have before.
I have checked all fuses and they are all good. The van won't start sitting there but I can jump it no problem. Soon as I take cables off the voltage on the battery start going down. I'm wondering if I have an electrical issue or if I truly was sold a bad alternator. I have been reading about transmission issues as well and I really hope that's not the case. I am just perplexed at what my problem is.
Any help and experience would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
982 Posts
Verify how much parasitic current is flowing. If you can see voltage dropping not a good sign. Could be electrical issue or bad battery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,536 Posts
I have had a bad alternator out of the box at Advance. Not for the Ody but for my Maxima. Thankfully, I had asked them to bench test it and it failed out of the box. They only had one and were shocked. I had to go to a different Advance Auto. It was a warranty replacement and back when I got the alternator, I was not smart enough and gave them my original as core. I regret that decision to this day. I have since found a local shop who will refurb and fix the original alternators.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a friend coming tomorrow saying he's going to try and "excite the starter" and see if it works. But I did test the voltage on the alternator itself while the van was running after I jumped it. And the alternator was running 11.97

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
If the alternator doesn't get the proper signal from the car's computer, it isn't going to charge. Also, remember, the Honda charging system is not simple. See link:

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
I have a friend coming tomorrow saying he's going to try and "excite the starter" and see if it works.
He may have meant "excite the alternator".

That's a technique that involves applying 12V directly to the field windings in case they are not getting power through the normal circuit.

IMHO that's a poor substitute for proper troubleshooting. Besides, I don't think that's your problem since your alternator is producing output, even though at a substandard voltage. The alternator would produce 0V with unpowered field windings.

It is possible though that the field windings are defective e.g. partially shorted. If so, replacing the alternator is the only option. However, I would test the alternator control signals first.

·
Registered
679 Posts
What hasn’t been said here yet, that is often discussed here, is that the only alternator brand that works with our Odyssey’s is a Denso alternator. Nothing else seems to work. Get a Denso alternator installed
Agree. Seems there are a lot of "new" posters on this site. IMHO, they should "search" this site. This "alternator", problem has been discussed many, many, times. Denso. only. !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Awesome. Thanks for the info. This is my last hope. Going to try this out next Friday. Giving it a break and spending time with family after working on my issue all weekend. Will post updates

1 - 20 of 57 Posts