Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy I replaced Front truts and rear shocks, also stabilizer links, ball joints, trut mounts, stabilizer bar bushings and the van got a little better but still keeps maiking noise going over bumps and when the van goes side to side going on a ditch or something like that.
Could it be the stabilizer bar going side to side? really dont know where to look.:mad:

·
Registered
525 Posts
is it a rattling sound? could also be you brake caliper pins. when you drive over bumps in the road that cause this noise, put slight pressure on the brake pedal. if the noise goes away,, its your pins.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Tighten up the bolts on your front struts before moving on to add a little grease under the springs by the shocks. If the sound is kind of a clunk check the bushings around the sway bar etc, if they are heavily cracked its probably time to get new ones.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have checked the calipper pins and its not that I have also installed new pads the sounds its going over bumps even going at very low speed it seems the slower you go even driving you hear the noise its like when the van rocks sides to sides or even moving very slow and turning the wheels its sounds sort of like if something were rubbing against something ot like if the springs were turning on the struts plate or something im not sure.

all the bolts are tight there is nothing loose what I was thinking was the maybe the stabilizer bar bushings were sort of loose even I installed new ones maybe they are too loose on the bar.

My question is this bar supposed to move a bit inside the stab bushings? if you see this piuture I was thinking maybe the part 5 it moving inside the part 6 side to side cause its not so much as a bumping noise but sort of like a rubing sound kisd of har to explain in my enligh.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What exactly is a trut. My van does not have these.
Well instead of making fun of me if you just read a little bit and made a little bit of sence on what I typed you would have realized what I ment the other guys did,,ohh and your questiong really doesn't help me much on my original question.

·
Registered
525 Posts
what was the condition of the bearing plates on the front struts?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what was the condition of the bearing plates on the front struts?
Do you mean on like the struts mount? the bearing inside of it? those are the first thing I replaced they were bad at least one of them when I took it appart all the balls came flying off.

I started replacing like this way to try to get rid of the suspension noise,, like the ratteling, bumping humming and I had all those sounds.

Well I started with the Ball joints,,took those out they were pretty bad so I replaced them,, it got a bit better.

Then I replaced the Struts mount then after a while I replaced the Front Struts and rear shock and Stab links and Stab bar bushings.

The van got quiter but theres is this weird noise at bumps at a very low speed the lower you go the more you hear it its when the van goes side to side and over speed bumps.

Next thing I might try its get a good insurance on it and burn it:nothappy:

·
Registered
525 Posts
the only thing i can think of at this point is if the front springs are mounted properly on the strut. i have read in other threads on this site that this could cause a problem. also, if the roll bar bushings are of the correct size.
just thinking out loud here,,anyone else have any ideas?

·
Registered
31 Posts
It sounds like you've replaced almost everything that could be the culprit, with the possible exception of lower control arm bushings and wheel bearings. The wheel bearings should be fairly easy to test for play that could cause noise when going from load to no load conditions like a speed bump. If it's not the wheel bearings, I'd suspect the lower control arm bushings.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It sounds like you've replaced almost everything that could be the culprit, with the possible exception of lower control arm bushings and wheel bearings. The wheel bearings should be fairly easy to test for play that could cause noise when going from load to no load conditions like a speed bump. If it's not the wheel bearings, I'd suspect the lower control arm bushings.
mmm you know if its something might be the arm bushings when I took the arm to replace the ball joints the arm bushings didnt seem to be that bad I mean that had some crack in them but they were still pretty stiff.

And the Wheel bearing s I had to replace some lug studs that I broke so I had to get the hub out to replace the studs and the bearings were fine I think. it doesnt really sound like a bearing bad its like the suspension going up and down and cant figure it out what it might be.:huh:

·
Registered
31 Posts
From your description of the clunking sound occuring over bumps or side to side motion of the vehicle, I'd suspect the lower control arm bushings, particularly if you saw cracks in them. They would feel stiff when you check them with your hands, but that's nothing compared to the stress they're under from the weight of the vehicle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ahhh ok I guess I would have to replace those then on both sides the one on the front and the rear and see what happens

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have this exact same problem. I would describe the noise as a kind of 'knock' or 'clunk' noise from the front suspension, really noticeable at low speeds.

Dealership is stumped. Had them replace front struts, sway bar links and bushings, and strut mount bushings. They said everything looks good up front. Noise still happens.

Van drives fine, but the noise is going to make me crazy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have this exact same problem. I would describe the noise as a kind of 'knock' or 'clunk' noise from the front suspension, really noticeable at low speeds.

Dealership is stumped. Had them replace front struts, sway bar links and bushings, and strut mount bushings. They said everything looks good up front. Noise still happens.

Van drives fine, but the noise is going to make me crazy.
Yep I know what you mean, its driving me crazy too,,and dealers dont know **** and they rip you off if they can nothing like doing the work yourself I am not a mechanic but all the work on the suspension I have done on this van it has been with the help I got from reading all the posts or posting in here you get to lern a lot.

The only problem I got its that I have to order all the parts from the US and it takes a long time for me to get them and I have to do some researh to make sure I get the right part or change the right part to get rid of the noise.

So far the only thing I replace that seems to be fine were the Saway bar links but they were cheap so it not a big deal and they are new now.

·
Registered
525 Posts
steering tie rods? just a thought

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok I have been gone for a while and I have more questions about some noises I still have on this van.

First heres an update:

I have replaces probably most components on my suspension starting with new front struts and rear shocks, front strut mounts, stab. links, ball joints, stab bushings, the 4 front arm bushings, new breaks and I still have noise:mad:,, I was wondering could it be some other rubber like on the Cross beam? has anyone done anything with that?

The noise its when driving slow going over speed bumps and when turning into a street that has a deep and the van moves side to side you can hear a strong metal to metal noise right in my feets.
any Ideas?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts