Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey EX and I got a Pioneer head unit (MVH-S310BT) and speakers for a great price, so I am attempting to upgrade my factory system.

I started by installing the 6.5" front door speakers. This was easy, but it did not offer much of an improvement as far as the sound is concerned.

I then took to splicing a factory harness adapter (Scosche HA028SD) to the Pioneer harness using butt splices and following the wiring diagrams I found online. When I connected the Pioneer radio, the sound quality improved dramatically, except for the fact that now I am not getting any sound out of the passenger side dash tweeter or front passenger door speaker.

All of the speakers were working prior to connecting the head unit. I have searched the forums and I can't find anyone reporting the same issue, particularly with the dash tweeter not working as well. I checked off the list on the Scosche wiring harness adapter manual as I went along, and the only wires that I didn't connect to the Pioneer harness are the Orange "Illumination/Dimmer" and the Dark Blue "Power Antenna" wires.

I've included a few pictures in the hope that someone can tell me what I might have done wrong. Thank you for your time!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I think you answered your own question.
speakers worked before now they dont, what changed?

Used the scosche harness adapter as well on my gen 2, and worked great.
start off by checking those butt connectors for the right front channel tweeter and door speaker are on the same channel
Make sure the wires were fully inserted or that you didnt crimp the wiring insulation instead of the bare wire.
a multimeter is helpful when checking for voltage output, put the probes into the butt connector for the front right channel , from the deck then to the speakers, check for voltage with the stereo going.

look for bent pins on the deck and elsewhere in the chain.

are all the pins are straight in the scosche harness? stock harness connections look ok?
cant see with the angled pic of the blue harness connector.

did this good deal on this head unit come from a retail or private sale?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Test for continuity across the splices. You can use pins for that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you answered your own question.
speakers worked before now they dont, what changed?

Used the scosche harness adapter as well on my gen 2, and worked great.
start off by checking those butt connectors for the right front channel tweeter and door speaker are on the same channel
Make sure the wires were fully inserted or that you didnt crimp the wiring insulation instead of the bare wire.
a multimeter is helpful when checking for voltage output, put the probes into the butt connector for the front right channel , from the deck then to the speakers, check for voltage with the stereo going.

look for bent pins on the deck and elsewhere in the chain.

are all the pins are straight in the scosche harness? stock harness connections look ok?
cant see with the angled pic of the blue harness connector.

did this good deal on this head unit come from a retail or private sale?
Thank you for your input. I was hoping that someone who had used that adapter would see this thread.

I cut the butt splices apart for the right front channel, stripped the Pioneer harness side longer than I thought necessary just to be sure, then crimped new splices on the Pioneer side, leaving the other side open. I then connected the stereo again and tested for DC voltage at these splices and I didn't get anything. It seems unlikely that a product which was purchased brand new at a major retailer would bad right out of the box, but unless I'm missing anything, I guess it must be.

Can you explain what you mean by "start off by checking those butt connectors for the right front channel tweeter and door speaker are on the same channel"? If you are referring to making sure that the correct wires are matched from the Scosche adapter to the Pioneer harness, I checked and they are. There are two applicable wires that I am aware of - the "Gray/black" for "right front negative" and the "Gray" for "right front positive" according to the Scosche manual. I didn't see any separate wires for the tweeter.

I looked for bent pins anywhere and all are OK.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Thank you for your input. I was hoping that someone who had used that adapter would see this thread.

I cut the butt splices apart for the right front channel, stripped the Pioneer harness side longer than I thought necessary just to be sure, then crimped new splices on the Pioneer side, leaving the other side open. I then connected the stereo again and tested for DC voltage at these splices and I didn't get anything. It seems unlikely that a product which was purchased brand new at a major retailer would bad right out of the box, but unless I'm missing anything, I guess it must be.

Can you explain what you mean by "start off by checking those butt connectors for the right front channel tweeter and door speaker are on the same channel"? If you are referring to making sure that the correct wires are matched from the Scosche adapter to the Pioneer harness, I checked and they are. There are two applicable wires that I am aware of - the "Gray/black" for "right front negative" and the "Gray" for "right front positive" according to the Scosche manual. I didn't see any separate wires for the tweeter.

I looked for bent pins anywhere and all are OK.
that's what I meant, to test for voltage at each side of the butt connector.
the tweeter is on the same circuit as the door speaker.

if you have a back probe, you can check the voltage out of the deck harness.
like this...
its possible you have a defective harness from schosche or a blown channel in the deck, but typically the decks front and rear run off the same channel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the video, that was very informative.

Here is an update about where I'm at now. I'll go over the steps I took to try to figure out what's wrong, but the latest question I have is regarding the function of the "mostly green with a red stripe" wire with the arrow pointing to it and the blue wire next to it in the first picture below. As you will note, there are no corresponding pins on the Scosche adapter. The wire that looks most like my OEM RH front door speaker ("mostly red with a green stripe") does have a corresponding pin in the Scosche adapter.

Here are the additional troubleshooting steps I have taken so far (I have an auto-ranging multimeter):

--Back probed the RH positive/negative speaker voltage out of the Pioneer deck harness while it was turned on. I got nothing but transient tiny voltage amounts like the type that register when you touch the ends of the probes with your hands, for example.
--Back probed the LH positive/negative (working side) speaker voltage out of the Pioneer deck harness while it was turned on. Nothing but transient voltage.
--Back probed the (yellow) 12 volt constant/ground (black) and (red) 12 volt switched/ground (black) wires out of the Pioneer deck harness just to make sure my multimeter was working correctly. Got about 12 volts.
--Back probed the RH positive/negative speaker voltage on the radio side of the butt splice at the front RH speaker. Nothing but transient voltage.
--Back probed the RH positive/negative speaker voltage on the speaker contacts (where the wire connects to the speaker). Nothing but transient voltage.
--Back probed the LH positive/negative (working side) speaker voltage on the speaker contacts (where the wire connects to the speaker) just to make sure my multimeter was working and I was measuring correctly. Nothing but transient voltage there either, despite the fact that it was playing music.

--Switched out the RH front speaker with another identical brand new speaker that came in the kit with my Pioneer deck. Still no sound from the RH front.
--Remembered that I had a nice used JVC head unit in my basement that I got from a junkyard with similar features to my brand new Pioneer. It turns out it already had a Metra 70-1721 adapter already nicely attached to the JVC deck harness, but since the plastic part of the Metra connector looked pretty different from the Scosche, instead of just plugging it in to quickly and easily test that radio with my van, I wasted time cutting the JVC deck harness off and spicing it to my Scosche harness before plugging it in. Still no sound from the RH front.
--Plugged my factory radio back in and entered the code. All speakers and tweeters now produce sound; not anywhere near as good as with the JVC or Pioneer decks though.

I'm at a loss as far as what to do next. I verified that the Scosche part number was correct, and the Metra adapter doesn't have the pins for the wires noted above either.

I took some better pictures of the stock harness and other things that might be helpful.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
very thorough troubleshooting.
everything is pointing to a bad head unit.

the speaker wires connections are cut and dry, and not obscure or dependent on some other wires.

regarding your voltage readings, I think you needed to use the main ground to get any reading.

how hard is it to pop in that JVC with the metra harness or scosche harness?

if it works, you know its time to return the pioneer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
very thorough troubleshooting.
everything is pointing to a bad head unit.

the speaker wires connections are cut and dry, and not obscure or dependent on some other wires.

regarding your voltage readings, I think you needed to use the main ground to get any reading.

how hard is it to pop in that JVC with the metra harness or scosche harness?

if it works, you know its time to return the pioneer.
Unfortunately I already tried the JVC with the Scosche harness in step a-million-and-whatever up above with no improvement (even though I could’ve used the Metra harness that it was already wired to had I recognized it at the time). I guess I could try cutting off the Scosche harness and reattaching the Metra harness, but I think I’m going to save that for another day.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Disconnect the speaker wires from the radio. Use an ohm meter to measure the resistance of the speakers. Put the meter probes (red and black) on the 2 speaker wires going to the the RF door. You should see somewhere around 3 to 8 ohms or so.
When you are measuring the voltage output of the radio. You need to use AC setting on the meter. Not DC. Measuring the 2 output wires from the radio. Or if you have one of the old speakers, connect that directly to the radio output wires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update:

I finally pushed myself to cut the Scosche adapter harness off and splice the Metra adapter harness back on to the JVC deck harness (as it was when I found it if you’ve been following my story above), and I now finally have sound from all speakers.

I guess either the Scosche harness was defective right out of the sealed package from a big box store, or it was not properly designed for my van, even though it says it is compatible right on the packaging.

Thank you everyone for your input. There was a lot of information presented here that will help me to know how to properly diagnose electrical issues in the future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts