Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2004 Odyssey door got crumpled by my new-driver daughter backing my convertible into it. The door still functions, but it is very crumpled and it needs an outside push to close it completely. I would like to avoid an insurance claim on this one.

Is there somewhere I can get a used replacement door or is this something I have to go to a body shop to get done?

Any insights or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

-Greg

·
Registered
9,320 Posts
If the only damage is to the door skin, a well-experienced body shop can replace just that. Since you have to push yours shut, it probably has damage beyond cosmetic.

Your best bet would be to consult a body shop to determine the extent of the damage and if it is repairable. If the door is beyond repair, shop the bone-yards for a replacement and then have a body shop install and paint it.

- Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I have been avoiding body shops on the assumption that it is impossible to get them to do anything inexpensively, but getting an estimate from them and then looking to cut corners makes sense.

-G

·
Registered
747 Posts
I would think a junkyard would be your best bet. You may even find a color match to avoid painting. A local find would be best to avoid shipping charges, but if you want to search online I have found car-part.com to be a pretty good database.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I will do both. Just looking at car-parts.com makes it clearer that the parts are available and a ballpark idea of what they would cost.

I imagine that there are gotchas with on-line buying. When one buys something like a back sliding door, does it come with trip and all the necessary internal parts?

-G

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
I too would just replace the door skin if the door itself works properly and not damaged to the extent that it will not close on its own.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I didn't know one could do that. The door itself is mostly functional. It closes, but that last bit where the back end pulls in doesn't work.

I liked your "2001 Odyssey Thread." Looks like I might try re-homing the doors to see if that helps. Getting the current, ugly, door to close properly would be a big reduction in "hassle factor" from this mishap.

Thanks!
-Greg

·
Registered
224 Posts
If I find a replacement door at a salvage yard, can I just install it? Or do some vehicle specific lock/parts need to be transferred from the original door?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
What is your skill level? There are a lot of mechanics in the sliding door. It is not just a unbolt and replace. You should start by getting the OEM service manual and study the power door sections to learn what needs to be done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts