Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone has experience with replacement axles for the 05-10 Oddy. The passenger front inner cv joint boot started spewing grease... I am not sure I want to get a remanufactured axle, and I don't know that I want to deal with the mess of rebuilding/replacing the boot on ours, so I am looking at alternatives. The OEM is a bit on the expensive side, too. I have been looking at the EMPI axles - they have a very good reputation among Subaru folks as being very durable, and the price is certainly right at well under $100 for a new axle, so I am leaning on going that way (I can put aside the OEM one and rebuild it later if I feel like getting greasy...)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had both inner CV boots leak on me on my 2005 Odyssey so I had them replaced. Bought the CV boot kit from the dealer (think it was about $30 a side). When the mechanic took the axle shaft out, it turns out that the boot was fine but it was the clamps that had gotten loose and that was why it was the grease was leaking out. The boots were fine but since he had it out and I had already bought the boot kits I had him replace the boots, clamps and the grease. In my experience inner boots rarely go bad and definitely the outer before the inner (as the outer tend to flex more when driving and this is subject to more wear and tear).
Are you sure the EMPI axles are not rebuilt? $100 for new axles sounds too good to be true. If it is new then that might be a better option but my guess would be that all you would need are new clamps and a re-grease of the joints. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's the large band on the passenger side which is loose on mine - the dealer tightened it a bit while we were in getting our PS pump replaced (for the third time... but who's counting...) - not entirely sure if they did anything or not. I had asked them if they could tighten the band, and they said they would try, but the best thing to do would be to replace the boot. I might do that, but I am not sure... it's messy. Dealer wants around $250 to do the boot - the OEM kit is $40-something plus shipping online...

The EMPI axles are indeed new (which is what drives the attraction for the Subaru folks - they are new and stand up to a fair amount of abuse)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Empi axles are new. However!!! They are made with cheap materials from China. the sensor rings do not always read correctly for the ABS module and can cause crazy ABS problems. My shop was selling them for a long time and we finally kicked them to the curb and started sourcing other brands. A lot of factory axles are hollow and have a lrger diameter shaft. the Empi's are typically small diameter and solid. There is a weight difference in these specific shafts. if you have an ESP or anti slip or other "traction" program in your drive train this can possibly cause issues there as well, since not everyone replaces axles in matched sets. Cars these days are extremely computer controlled and have maaany sensor inputs and are calibrated to no end for specific criteria. Just some thoughts as you choose your axles.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I am almost certain GKN Lobro makes the Axle CV joint for Honda.

Buy the CV Boot from dealer and change it.

I just did my 1998 Volvo V70 CV Boot and post some tips/tricks in the link below.

My Ody is still fine, CV boot OK. But you can use some of the tips from Volvo to change the CV boot.
Same principle!

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29716

PS: If you caught the leaky boot early, then chances are your CV joint is still fine.
The #1 cause of CV Joint Failure is cracked boot.

Search Google using keyword "Matthew Volvo EMPI". The Volvo people (Matthew Volvo Forum) have a wealth of info on EMPI! Basically a mixed feeling!

·
Registered
33 Posts
cnn is correct. Lobro is a great brand. they are hard to find sometimes local but def are avail online. also the rule in "shop world" is 8 hrs of open time. a cracked boot is "time to fix it". As long as the grease coming out is wet and really gooey and the joint is quiet meaning no clicking at all when turning at any degree, then you can reboot it and that is always the best way to go. dealer boot kits and even factory boot kits bought online from factory brand outlets are cheap enough, like 35 to 55 dollars that it is worth fixing your original axles. once the axles look dried out or have any grit, dirt, leaves, grass, debris whatsoever in them or the axles click... they are done. must replace. this happens after about 8hrs of drive time from the boot rupture.
I also have had good luck with FEQ brand axles. they are a cheap alternative too (like EMPI) but the sensor rings seem to be well made and the shafts come hollow or as close to original design as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I read your reply on replacing the axle shafts. I have a 2003 Odyssey EX w/traction control and ABS. I can get Honda Oem remanufactured axle shafts from the dealer for $147.34 each (they'll match online pricing) or from Autozone, Napa or O'reilly-checkers new for $69.99 to 89.99 and remanufactured from $50-69.99. I'm confused on what to buy. Should I go with the oem reman's or with the aftermarket? I hear good and bad....I'm on a budget, but don't want to compromise and have problems. Any help is much appreciated!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Unless you are racing or have a modified vehicle for use above and beyond the intended use... (ie deliveryvan, spec racer in a world van class or etc.) I always say use factory parts if they can be had for a decent price. You can also source factory parts from retailer/wholesaler other than local dealer. The manufacturers have parts made by independent companies. I would give a arm leg and more for a dealer that would price match around here. Axles for my Ody are like 500 bucks at Honda here. whereever you buy them MAKE SURE they are not Chinese manufacture. not that they won't fit but Chinese metal is weeeak!! It may never break but it might and it'll be the one time you decide to go on that dream road trip with the fam. Ask for Japanese parts for your Japanese van. You'll be glad you did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts